Active Topics

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
Unfortunately, if you are not a top player, it is almost impossible to get access to decent h/w, besides Jolla has no access to h/w drivers either.

Jolla suffers from all that at the moment, unfortunately I cannot afford to get another phone that soon ;-(
If that is the case how did OnePlus managed to get their OnePlus One phone together.
wiki - "OnePlus is a smartphone manufacturer in China founded on December 17, 2013. OnePlus is headquartered in Shenzhen."

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post
If that is the case how did OnePlus managed to get their OnePlus One phone together.
wiki - "OnePlus is a smartphone manufacturer in China founded on December 17, 2013. OnePlus is headquartered in Shenzhen."
They are Chinese, they've got money to burn.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post

edit: Still in just 10 months, they came up with a very nice phone hardware. Their marketing department did a pretty amazing job as well. I guess, like you said, if you have a ton of money to burn, anything is possible.

Last edited by abyzthomas; 2014-11-04 at 16:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Read further down the wikipedia entry and you'll see they're owned by Oppo (Est 2004) who are owned by BBK (Est 1995).

In other words, they didn't start from nothing and have parent companies with huge engineering, manufacturing and financial resources.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
In particular, they are in Shenzhen (quoting from wikipedia: "In 2013, Shenzhen's GDP totaled $237 billion" and note we are talking about a *town*)

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Another thing to bear in mind is that OnePlus has not developed an OS, neither applications.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Jolla's HW problem is not about spec it self. If we only look at spec: Yes a qHD screen is perfectly acceptable, but the spec does't say it's not bright enough even with 100% brightness, spec also doesn't say sunlight readability=0, and colour "colder" than natural. This is what I mean for a "bad" HW, I'm not talking about spec.
Brighness is an issue on places with very bright sunlight. Personally, I haven't had serious problems with it even during summertime. As for color reproduction, Finnish tech site/magazine mPC actually measured the color reproduction of Jolla and found it to be very neutral and accurate, not far from HTC One or even iPhone 5. White balance was biased towards blue and it's not very bright, but "bad" is not the word to describe IMO.

For camera, spec-wise 8MP is good enough, but is this 8MP same as N9's 8MP? No! It's even worse than N900's 5MP, this is not spec side.
Um... I have never, ever got better pictures out of my old N900 than from my Jolla. I wonder how do you do it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Brighness is an issue on places with very bright sunlight. Personally, I haven't had serious problems with it even during summertime. As for color reproduction, Finnish tech site/magazine mPC actually measured the color reproduction of Jolla and found it to be very neutral and accurate, not far from HTC One or even iPhone 5. White balance was biased towards blue and it's not very bright, but "bad" is not the word to describe IMO.

Um... I have never, ever got better pictures out of my old N900 than from my Jolla. I wonder how do you do it.
I'm just pointing out the truth from my eyes, as a 9-months Jolla user.

Finnish tech sites?! Are they authority? There are lots of tech sites claims iphone camera better than 808 and is the best on the market. I don't believe them. I believe my eyes.

I sold my Jolla already, otherwise I can make a compare with HTC One or other phones, your statement will not be true. (I hope someone can do the comparison for me.) HTC one's screen is way better than Jolla, not only resolution. Even my Nokia X2's screen with 800x480 is brighter and more vivid than Jolla, it's a £70 phone.

And again, Jolla's photo "May" be better than N900, but is it generally good? How about compare with 3-year old N9? How about mid-range camera nowadays?

Yea we all love Jolla, buy there is no point pretending it doing well, especially on HW. Pointing out their weakness also gives the hope they avoid the same problem on the next device.

If you DO think Jolla HW is good, then it's good if you think so. Not for me myself.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2014-11-04 at 20:36.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
If you are going to quote MPC you probably need to quote all of their results, instead of cherry picking (and misunderstanding) their results. The following info comes from the MPC report

Brightness: At 350 candellas per sq m Jolla’s screen brightness is below average coming in at almost half of what MPC considers a good screen (600 cd/m2)

Contrast: Contrast ratio is 640:1 on Jolla, when average to good mobile devices achieve 1000:1 (with the best reaching 2000:1)

You also need to understand that sRGB scores are less to do with accurate color reproduction and more to do with a color gamut (i.e the range of colors that can be displayed)

'Bad' may not be the word to describe it - but 'poor' or 'below average' certainly is.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Finnish tech sites?! Are they authority? There are lots of tech sites claims iphone camera better than 808 and is the best on the market. I don't believe them. I believe my eyes.
If we go that route, we can throw every single measurement and review published in any site out of window. MPC is so far the only site that has actually measured the screen and they were surprised themselves how good it was, except for being too dim, having not that great contrast and a bit biased white balance. My own experience does not contradict this, so I have no reason to doubt it. However I have reason to doubt your claim for it being almost unusable.

And again, Jolla's photo "May" be better than N900, but is it generally good? How about compare with 3-year old N9? How about mid-range camera nowadays?
...or maybe if we compared it to my DSLR? Of how awful it is compared to that...

My take on it is that camera on Jolla is good enough. Nothing to write home about, but I get decent pictures out of it. It was your claim that it's worse than on N900, so I actually wanted to know how did you manage to get better pictures out of it...

Yea we all love Jolla, buy there is no point pretending it doing well, especially on HW. Pointing out their weakness also gives the hope they avoid the same problem on the next device.
Our way of exaggerating problems and weaknesses (like your comparison to N900) will not do anyone any good. If we are to help, our criticism should be as neutral and as truthful as possible. Which is of course difficult for wretched beings like humans.

If you DO think Jolla HW is good, then it's good if you think so. Not for me myself.
It's good enough for now. High end HW would have had quite different price tag, which would have been more difficult to sell as a first device on new OS. While waiting for the new device, I'm using my Jolla every day and not going to switch back to N9 and definitely not going for another platform.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post: