Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
I doubt that it will be Wifi only being a phone and I actually need one.

Anyway, you fanbois should try to allow at least bit of criticism. Jolla did screw up their last pre-order shipments big time. Its ok to say so. Try not to have a panick attack if some one points to the fact.
Noone is saying there were no problems, just that they were minor nuisances, rather than the crowd crying 'I ordered earlier, how come I have to wait two days, jolla sucks big time, never again' make them out to be

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaracz View Post
Are you sure about that? I mean, theoretically it's possible - but will it be so implemented in Sailfish?
I honestly don't see why they wouldn't implement OpenGL...well, maybe if they really want interoperability with the phone when it comes to native apps, then sure.

That's the only reason I can see for keeping OpenGL ES in the tablet. IMHO, there's a mountain of reasons to move to OpenGL proper, and it'd be head-scratching not to.

Also, it's not theoretical; this is a 64-bit tablet powered by Intel. It's 100% possible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tigerroast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
@ 201%. Still going!

Update: $764,532. Will it make it a Million Dollar today?

Originally Posted by Tigerroast View Post
I honestly don't see why they wouldn't implement OpenGL...well, maybe if they really want interoperability with the phone when it comes to native apps, then sure.

That's the only reason I can see for keeping OpenGL ES in the tablet. IMHO, there's a mountain of reasons to move to OpenGL proper, and it'd be head-scratching not to.

Also, it's not theoretical; this is a 64-bit tablet powered by Intel. It's 100% possible.
So.... if someone does get debian proper on it no need to recompile even??? That would be glorious

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Germany

So it sounds really interesting.. At last I could run my programms in C/OpenGL on the tablet I don't need a tablet, so I haven't decided yet if I will buy it, but OpenGL is a pro for me indeed...

Best regards,

Jaracz

Nokia 5110 --> Nokia 3210 --> Nokia 8210 --> Nokia 7250i --> Nokia 6500 Slide --> Nokia N97 mini --> Nokia N9 --> BB Z30 --> Jolla C

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
So.... if someone does get debian proper on it no need to recompile even??? That would be glorious
Nope. Just go through the installation as you would any other computer. You'd need a mouse+kbd though; I don't use Debian, so IDK if it auto-detects the touchscreen or not.

Originally Posted by Jaracz View Post
So it sounds really interesting.. At last I could run my programms in C/OpenGL on the tablet I don't need a tablet, so I haven't decided yet if I will buy it, but OpenGL is a pro for me indeed...
OpenGL is always a pro. OpenGL all the things! Since others have confirmed that it has an Intel GPU, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigerroast For This Useful Post:
Nope. Just go through the installation as you would any other computer. You'd need a mouse+kbd though; I don't use Debian, so IDK if it auto-detects the touchscreen or not.
That's what I meant, add a repo, pkcon/apt-get from their full library, no need for open repos/extras devel, 10k of ppl work on that rather than enthusiast circle

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Before I bought my first N900, I went through a tablet phase. The only one I had was a cheap 7" Android affair from China. It was quite a sorry affair and almost made me lose faith in portable technology altogether that eventually the N900 cured.

BUT... It was easily hackable and some kind soul made a Debian image for it. It ran fine and, to answer your question, detected the touch screen as a mouse, no problem there.

The main problem and the reason I stopped using it was the size. 7" is too big to be portable and too small to use as stationary. So no, thanks, no Jolla tablet for me. I already have a Jolla tablet. It's called JP-1301.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

I dunno what on earth you're talking about. I doubt OpenGL (proper) drivers exist for this chipset for any OS, and they certainly won't for Android. The device will almost certainly use Android display drivers ... so where are you getting this from? Also, of course they HAVE to have cross compatibility with the phone. It's the same OS, with different scaling options / UI. Also, do you seriously think any prospective developer is going to port their OpenGL ES based apps to Sailfish, if Jolla made the barmy decision to switch to OpenGL? Besides, what possible advantage would there be? ES is tailored specifically to the mobile space and to be less complex and more efficient.

How do 64bit or it being Intel have anything to do with this? Address space means nothing. If you think it somehow makes it more powerful, well the CPU side is going to be a lot weaker than any quad core A57 chip (which will predominate by the time it's released) and is similar to a Snapdragon 805 / a bit slower than chips popping up now based on A53 cores, and this is the case even though the Z3580 present in the N1 and (presumably Jolla) is the fastest SKU. As for the PowerVR GPU, it is comparable to the plethora of PowerVR designs in ARM SoCs now.

Also, to all the people who think it will have an Intel in-house GPU ... how? There are no in-house Intel GPU designs for Intel's tablet / phone chips. Nor will there be for the forseeable future.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-11-19 at 21:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks