Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
The iPad is Apple's Palm Foleo
Also, I don't see the Newton mentioned often enough in this thread...

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Don't be daft, it's where Nokia are still big - they've lost ground everywhere else.
I think that Apple just knows the North American market better than Nokia and vice versa with Europe/Asia.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Could you please explain what you think the relation between the "HTML"5 and H.264 is?

I mean... you can embed H.264-videos in HTML4 and XHTML1.x - and you can play other codecs than H.264 in <video> - what are you trying to say?
HTML5 uses a native <video> tag, and currently there's two camps supporting different codecs. Mozilla Foundation supports the Ogg Theora video codec because their licensing, and Apple/Google support H.264 encoded videos - which is a patented and licensed technology costing people that serve up, encode and whatnot sometimes up to $5 million per year. Think DVD's basically... each machine sold pays a license fee to the DVD Consortium.

Hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
HTML5 uses a native <video> tag, and currently there's two camps supporting different codecs. Mozilla Foundation supports the Ogg Theora video codec because their licensing, and Apple/Google support H.264 encoded videos - which is a patented and licensed technology costing people that serve up, encode and whatnot sometimes up to $5 million per year. Think DVD's basically... each machine sold pays a license fee to the DVD Consortium.

Hope that helps.
No, it doesn't, because the fight over the codec is one thing and could (basically: should) have happened without the "HTML" 5 <video> tag as well. You can use <video> with any codec. Theora, H.264, DivX, Xvid, MPEG-2.... whatever...

And you can fight over H.264 vs. Theora without using the <video>-tag.

I just don't get how people think these two are in any way related... It's almost as if they believe embedding non-flash video wasn't possible before the <video> tag.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
But unfortunately all the open source wonders in the world can't give me access to REAL CONTENT when the platform is not appealing/profitable enough to the content producers.
1. Take your audio/video/book of choice
2. download it/ssh it/email it/whatever to the n900
3. enjoy

That's real enough for me. I do not buy DRMd content anyways, so any provider that sells content I may be interested sells content that can be enjoyed on the n900, in most cases without even the need for a conversion. Do not let the "content providers" make your decisions for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to feydrutha For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
No, it doesn't, because the fight over the codec is one thing and could (basically: should) have happened without the "HTML" 5 <video> tag as well. You can use <video> with any codec. Theora, H.264, DivX, Xvid, MPEG-2.... whatever...

And you can fight over H.264 vs. Theora without using the <video>-tag.

I just don't get how people think these two are in any way related... It's almost as if they believe embedding non-flash video wasn't possible before the <video> tag.
Well, that's the problem. Since it's HTML5, they want the <video> tag to be tied to a standard. One or the other it seems, not an and/or - which, to me would be a tad bit smarter. This proved to be an interesting read...

Now, as far as other <embed> tags, those were rather generic in HTML4.x and relied on the content embedded. To embed the video in the HTML5 standard, it seems like they want to do something different; however it's all up in the air since it's not yet set in stone.

It's a standards issue around something I find personally trivial, but they're fighting nonetheless.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
This video explains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXHKCS28z1s

Just look at the poor motorcycler.
that video made me want the origami but not a ipad even if it shares rthe same functionality. It shows how far ahead of the curve microsoft is with courier. Not even nokia can catch the courier. All microsoft has to do is launch the courier at a similiar price point and it will be the death of the ipad. But because MS has a chunk of apple shares I don't think they will. I'd snap up a courier over a maemo based tablet as well seeing how nokia's support or rather lack of support and development is killing my phones potential.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
that video made me want the origami but not a ipad even if it shares rthe same functionality. It shows how far ahead of the curve microsoft is with courier. Not even nokia can catch the courier. All microsoft has to do is launch the courier at a similiar price point and it will be the death of the ipad. But because MS has a chunk of apple shares I don't think they will. I'd snap up a courier over a maemo based tablet as well seeing how nokia's support or rather lack of support and development is killing my phones potential.
unless microsoft pulls a ms surface, its highly unlikely that microsoft will make the actual curier. Its more likely that they get some other company to make the actual hardware, and just supply the software...

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
This is probably getting a bit off topic but I've played around with theora 1.1 and the quality is really not that bad at all. There are some movie trailers online, Tron is one of them, and you'd really swear that you were watching something encoded in h.264 instead. Unless you're comparing frame to frame, it's hard to distinguish between the two. Theora's filesize is a little larger but it's a small concession for an open and royalty-free format.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm starting to doubt that. I think the geeks are starting to see... this is just nothing more than a huge *** iPhone.
geeks maybe, but engadget have not been geek for a very long time...

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet