Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Exactly how does one use unzip in OS2008?

Is there no GUI style unzipper availablle for the IT, as all I could find were some references to use the unzip program through X-term. If this is the only way to use it could someone please post some detailed instructions on how to unzip a file which is currently residing on my removable mem card, thanks in advance.

The Following User Says Thank You to TTgowings For This Useful Post:
This is another important piece that we need.
Maybe the folks at Winzip could do something?

Somewhere in the forum there was a mention made of an as-of-yet non-functional File Manager menu for unzipping. I also read that a developer had planned on a basic GUI for unzip but didn't promies anything soon. The reference to this unzip menu was vague though and I didn't really figure out where it could supposedly be found. People in the thread seemed to disagree on the existence and function of the menu anyway. Also, I don't remember which version this was about, so it's probably irrelevant now.

Note: I was a little high while reading that thread amongst a dozen others, but that's the hazy jist of it. If you find the thread it may clear some things up.

But new information from people who actually know what they're talking about is welcome over an old, vague thread linked to by a newb. So, yea, I'd like to know more about this too.

I just found this: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=13163

Only for 2007 now, but at least it's a current project, so maybe it'll get some momentum to show up for OS2008 and have a GUI built. The multi-format support of 7-zip is key and pretty much makes me forget about using unzip/zip in the future.

Sorry for the third consecutive post, but the quick answer to your question is to type "unzip -h" in the console to get the options. For basic unzipping I don't think any modifiers are needed, so just "unzip filename" as far as I know. Verbose mode can be helpful though.

(Having flashbacks to the 90's and pkunzip in DOS, my last command-line experience.)

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Originally Posted by nixeco View Post
This is another important piece that we need.
Maybe the folks at Winzip could do something?
Windows programs won't run on Linux. Especially the IT because it's ARM not x86 like Windows.

at a command line (dos prompt for Win Users)

unzip -x filename.

As for a gui. There was one with 2007, the author hasn't yet ported it to 2008. The better comand line version is the 7zip (another thread in apps forum)

To unzip stuff in OS2008, install zlib-bin (may need to use the red pill for this). This gives you minizip and miniunzip. Works fine from the command line.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
I saw unzip in the installable application list and remembered a time in ITOS2007 when I double clicked a zip file from file manager and selected the unzip app from the open with window.

How about a program that can unrar files? I have been using transmission for os2008 and get a lot of .rar files that I can not extract.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
there is a thread about 7zip and a garage project. 7zip can unrar ...
Fred