Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Your English is excellent (are you a native speaker by any chance?) but you have made one mistake. You have misspelled observe
His nickname is German. I would like to thank you for your English teacher hat input on this forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Definitely German. But hey, i like being told my English was excellent. Even though i know that that's not exactly true.

Are there any news about that Intex phone btw ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
I still believe Jolla is doing strange things and they should stop doing so if they want to sell a lot more than 1000 devices. And itīs a bloody shame they donīt get their act together because i really like having an option besides iOS and Android.
Sigh... Why would they want to sell more than 1000 devices they make no profit on?

Jolla quit the HW business one year ago, so face it - they have little interest in selling more. In this case, they do what people asked them to do and act as a limited shipping service for the Intex phone.

I don't understand this discussion - why do people have a problem with them doing that? If you don't like it, don't participate in the program - it's as simple as that.

I know for sure that the phone wouldn't have cost 169EUR if there was warranty included. I am investing in this device/program to be able to develop some *free* apps, as my Jolla broke a week ago. I just rerouted the money I got from the tablet (which was a IndieGogo donation that for whatever reason got refunded), so I again expect nothing for that money. If something goes wrong, so be it. If nothing goes wrong, I will be able to use and develop on a device that I would not have a chance to obtain otherwise.

So what is your problem, people?

Keep pushing, try to find legal caviats, push for providing a warranty... What is going to be the result? We're not going to get the device. Is that the end of the world? No. But it is unnecessary.

Last edited by nodevel; 2016-05-31 at 10:28.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
I agree. If Jolla doesn't change, it will stay in that niche forever with people providing money even if they don't get anything in exchange (i presume those investing in the Jolla C will get some device in the end though). Which isn't a bad thing to do, don't get me wrong. It's just that very few people are able and willing to do so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
The announcement of the Jolla C is a bit of a doubled edged sword. It is great that Jolla are offering a few users an alternative, especially now that the original Jolla is no longer available. As of right now, if you smash your Jolla - there is literally no way to replace it through an official channel. If you are lucky enough to have signed up in time, then you can move to the next device. Everyone though else though can jump off a cliff.

It really does feel like this Jolla C announcement was more of an after-thought rather than a genuine attempt to keep the OS going in Europe. If Jolla were serious about Europe, they would be offering a proper consumer device with a warranty through proper channels. I know they don't want to be in hardware directly (understandable), at the same time, Europe is the one region where they have some kind of existing user base. I know the user base isn't enough to sustain the OS, but it does seem silly that they're willing to abandon their 10-20k active users to go after a new market.

Perhaps it's a case that Jolla simply have been unable to find a partner to do HW in Europe? After Tabletgate, and the lacklustre sales of the original Jolla, I suppose suppliers can't really be blamed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Sigh... Why would they want to sell more than 1000 devices they make no profit on?

Jolla quit the HW business one year ago, so face it - they have little interest in selling more. In this case, they do what people asked them to do and act as a limited shipping service for the Intex phone.

I don't understand this discussion - why do people have a problem with them doing that? If you don't like it, don't participate in the program - it's as simple as that.

I know for sure that the phone wouldn't have cost 169EUR if there was warranty included. I am investing in this device/program to be able to develop some *free* apps, as my Jolla broke a week ago. I just rerouted the money I got from the tablet (which was a IndieGogo donation that for whatever reason got refunded), so I again expect nothing for that money. If something goes wrong, so be it. If nothing goes wrong, I will be able to use and develop on a device that I would not have a chance to obtain otherwise.

So what is your problem, people?

Keep pushing, try to find legal caviats, push for providing a warranty... What is going to be the result? We're not going to get the device. Is that the end of the world? No. But it is unnecessary.
The question is what Jolla trying to achieve here?

To keep at least 1 available phone in the market? Than they should produce proper phone
To support developers and community? They should give those devices for people who are developers and support for paid apps they are working on for more than 2 years

this device is not a last chance if your Jolla breaks, as there are only 1K devices, no warranty and if it breaks too - you do not get anything instead. So basically you would spend money of the loyal customer while leaving customer in the same place.

I think Jolla should think of their future and start doing something. Those half-done jobs are lack of "other half" which leads to that they are waisting their and customer's time and money. And all the customers get back is mostly "idea" of their "proper OS" (still closed btw).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Everytime when I see ZogG, he always have some excited comment about Jolla. LOL

Example: How sailfishos open!? Fuxking ridiculous.

The Following User Says Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
When I saw it, I thought for a while: "Maybe finally something with hwkb". Jolla is really wasting the niche.
What for?

Developers and weird outliers like on here might like them but the purpose of a development mule like this is so you test your apps on as near as dammit end-consumer hardware and consumers almost always want a touch screen only fondleslab.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
at my workplace a lot of startups come and go. mostly because they want to be crazy innovative, so EVERYTHING they do has to innovative.

the companies that stay are the ones that ARE innovative, but are able to restrain theirselves. i'm sure everyone at jolla want to see a hwkbd phone and when they have a more than 2 line-up they will do it.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
Everytime when I see ZogG, he always have some excited comment about Jolla. LOL

Example: How sailfishos open!? Fuxking ridiculous.
it's funny that from whole post you decided to choose 2 words. I assume the problem would be not with me, but with you friend.
Apart that part, can you please answer me, what is the purpose for that program?

As well as I want to mention, that the it might make you laugh, angry or emotional in any other way, but it's as you say "f#$%cking ridiculous" that you actually pointing finger at me, while I'm just saying the fact, that they are not opensource. I even did not mentioned that they promised and talk about it multiple times. It was topic of multiple IRC meetings and nothing changed.
So basically you need to forward all your emotions to them, as if me telling the fact is making you upset, it's not me who cozes it.

Nice day, sir.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os