Closed Thread
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Following last week's announcements, it looks like **** just got real (from the 'Let's talk Nokia Stock!' thread):

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Ok, still one last post here only because you seem to have missed an important detail in this week's announcements:

To support this period of transition, Nokia intends to improve its operating model by significantly reducing its Device & Services operating expenses, substantially reducing its headcount and reducing its factory footprint.
There goes as well the budget for funding maemo.org and paying the salaries of whoever has still a relationship with this community (Qt Project to follow, although there Nokia still keeps the support for the short term while looking for a way forward like a spin-off or the sale of the Qt asset).

It's a decision made. The current situation and future trends of the Nokia stock, Lumia & Asha sales etc will have no influence on this decision.

Therefore you can keep discussing about any present and future Nokia business topics if you want. They won't be directly related anymore with the present and future of maemo.org, though.

If you care about maemo.org more than about Nokia then a good use of your time and intelligence could be put in collaborating on a post-Nokia plan for this community. In the meantime myself, together with other Nokia employees, will continue working these days seeing how long can Nokia still fund the server infrastructure sustaining maemo.org.
So while no exact time-frame has been established, and with previous assurances that we would retain funding through 2012 [1], it would appear that the time has arrived for us to start planning our future for when we are finally released from Nokia's patronage.

[1] http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/005031.html

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
i was expecting this...it seemed odd that with all the announcements of the past week there were none that seemed to attempt to downgrade the support Nokia provide here even further...

The community needs to get together and start planning for the inevitable...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-06-17 at 12:20. Reason: typo

Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
Is there any open existing community who may be interested to host us ?

I added an entry at :

http://elinux.org/Maemo

how many GB is the whole TMO including wiki ?

Is there a proper way to backup it ?
I was thinking about wget / htrack
in case it will sudden switch off

but this may be counter productive and too paranoid

--
http://rzr.online.fr/q/mobile

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

Last edited by www.rzr.online.fr; 2012-06-17 at 12:45.

as Dan points out in his last post the message is clouded in shroud
there is e.g. no mention whichsoever of MeeGo/Harmattan...
however have to admit that Flop does a dreadfully effective job at driving the company into oblivion
getting ride of the guy is probably the 1st step if there is to be a NOKIA left in... 2014?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
ouch, have been member since 2007 and lurker way before that,this sure hurts.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
did we get any official warning about the '' time has arrived '' ? I guess no, but still council may wanna ask from qgil or from some one else who is presenting nokia here or anywhere but still only if it is all true . Nokia may or may not fund this site but surely they wont let go maemo.org just like that.anyway lets hear it from council.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
TBH I don't believe the promise that maemo.org will be funded till the end of the year will be kept, no matter what was budgeted. Nokia management has the right and the power to change that, so those of us who are still interested better unite NOW and plan/execute a transition in a controlled manner. Otherwise we risk when one morning try to open TMO to be "surprised" with 404.

Sad times, indeed .

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Uhm, well, I think the fist step is to get in contact with the guys/company hosting us. Are we actually hosted at a single company or are there several different hosters involved?

Also, I think we should start a list or something with the services hosted here. Like the autobuilder, bugtracker, website, this forum, etc.
Furthermore, what about the infrastructure from meego.com like the OBS.
How does this affect the OBS infrastructure for Mer/Nemo?
What about apps.formeego.com?

Maybe someone could open a wiki page where we can gather information about services, contact persons, etc. Edit: I might open one, once I find the time. However, I would also appreciate if someone else does this.

For the short-term, I think, we could also try to community fund the hosting.
However, for the mid- to long-term we should consider also other alternatives.

I also put a "ping" into the "Ask the Council" thread to query their opinions.

Last edited by Wonko; 2012-06-17 at 13:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
as Dan points out in his last post the message is clouded in shroud
there is e.g. no mention whichsoever of MeeGo/Harmattan...
however have to admit that Flop does a dreadfully effective job at driving the company into oblivion
getting ride of the guy is probably the 1st step if there is to be a NOKIA left in... 2014?
Dan knows where he is coming from and going to especially with qgil but the problem is qgil tried his best to shut dan up.

Qgil talks riddles and always has done, he never tells it straight or to the point, instead he leaves everyone guessing and i don't like his attitude on here because as far i see it it stinks and i just wonder what his game is.

The problem with this community is it does not have a REAL NOKIA spokes person who is prepared to come on here and talk clear and to the point and the very reason why so many people get it all wrong simply because of people like qgil who talks about as much sense as mud !!.

Qgil if you come on here and tell it the way it is then you will be respected and i invite you qgil formally to get your asss on here and tell some truths instead of shouting people down ok.

It is getting to the point on here now that no one seems to know where Maemo.org is going or even coming from come to that because of misinformation from people in the know.

I think it is fair to say we all need as members some concrete down to earth information instead of alarming threads like this so WHO will step forward and give us all the information we need????.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@abill_uk - I don't think it matters very much what qgil will say here, all that matters is do WE(as a community) have the resources and will to move on without Nokia babysitting us. If qgil feels a part of that community he will act like a part of it and will abandon PR type speaking. But it is his right to try to keep his job in those hard times, I suspect he has a family to take care of.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
citation needed