Sorry for the long title.

Recently purchased N810, plugged in for hours, battery doesn't charge. Take battery out, seems to have a "burned" smell :-(

If I just plug the power cord in, (with NO BATTERY installed)
should I expect the unit to power up?

Or do I have a more serious issue.....

Not that I tried but I'm like 90% sure that no, it doesn't work withouth a battery...

The Following User Says Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Chichester
Originally Posted by csf111 View Post
If I just plug the power cord in, (with NO BATTERY installed) should I expect the unit to power up?
I can confirm that this will NOT work. Just tried it. It needs the battery.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsalmon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
The tablet is not meant to charge without battery.

Regardless of charging, does it boot wit the charger plugged in?

Is the sw original?

If it is some 2nd hand tablet, try flashing the original image.
Even if it shouldn't boot, it doesn't automatically imply that it will not be possible to flash it.

If you are sure you are running the official sw and cannot charge, one of the parts is probably faulty (the tablet, the battery or the charger).

Being able to boot with both the battery and the charger plugged in means that you have a problem either with the battery or with the tablet, but not with the charger.

Thanks to all that replied.

Tim - That was the info I was looking for.

Again, my concern is that the battery has an "ozone" smell,
and IF I need a good battery to run, don't know if the unit
has been effected by the "bad"(?) battery.
The screen was flashing on and off, now it is doing nothing.

Will give it a few hours more, as long as it doesn't burst into flames...!

I seriously would avoid bad batteries on portable devices, especially cheap unofficial batteries. If a battery goes wrong it can do a lot of damage to the device and maybe the user too. There are a lot of counterfeit batteries floating around with substandard safety features.

All other kinds of accessories (memory cards, headphones, screen protectors etc) don't have this kind of risk.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't think that one user here has ever reported any damage caused by a bad battery.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Friday Harbor, WA, USA
no damage, except to my pocketbook... 2 cheap batteries and a wall charger for $13.95 form HK on ebay, one D.O.A., and the other only takes a charge that give me four hours use, and 4 days standby. Looks like a nokia, battery, has hologram, different printing on back (english, chinese, korean, not english, spanish, french, like mine) same voltage listed and amp.

cheap mistake...

will avoid such in the future

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If the wall charger works, you can throw the batteries away and still be way ahead. I've bought four batteries from Hong Kong and they all work fine. The oldest are more than a year old. I bought a charger too. The total cost of the batteries and charger was less than the cost of one Nokia battery.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
...The total cost of the batteries and charger was less than the cost of one Nokia battery.
That is a take home lession. BTW, I cannot find any more chargers from ebay, they vaporised, not a trace.

bun

Tags
battery