Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
It would be great to have this postprocessing tool directly installed in the N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
OMG, fix for vignette effect. It was haunting me for ages. Thanks a lot, man!

I totally agree with dire need to have it installed on N900. ufRaw is already available via N900, so it's last thing remaining to have fully working RAW photolab on device.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-04 at 09:24.

Originally Posted by plaka666 View Post
You just made my day - I've been looking for something like this for the past month. Do you have a profile you're using? If so, can you share it? I will try to make one this week or next.
No problem.What I found that profiles made from FCam files are better than Camera-UI2 Raw files and they can be applied to both FCam and Camera-UI2 raw files so you can use the file with any RAW file from the N900.

I tried to upload it but it allows files of certain types. I'm happy to mail it to you if you PM me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
OMG, fix for vignette effect. It was haunting me for ages. Thanks a lot, man!

I totally agree with dire need to have it installed on N900. ufRaw is already available via N900, so it's last thing remaining to have fully working RAW photolab on device.
Maybe. The best is for the FCam guys talk to the Nokia guys to understand where in the pipeline they can get this addressed because N900 JPGs don't have the same vignette (corner) issues so clearly something in the JPG pipeline is fixing not other things like detail in shadow areas and etc.

Maybe in the N9? :-)

algorithms used in RAW-to-jpg transformation in N900 also closed-source (say hello to our "Nokia friends"), and it's generally a no-go to get them.

As for publishing files here, a common trick is zipping a file(s) - it's allowed here, with file limit up to 488 KB. I've also used (with success) - while uploading things that are one file anyway - renaming them using .zip extension, and explicitly stating in post, that it's not .zip file, but renamed one, to avoid stupid file format limitation.

I'm preparing my own profiles, but I would love to compare results with ones belonging to You.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Cambridge MA
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
No problem.What I found that profiles made from FCam files are better than Camera-UI2 Raw files and they can be applied to both FCam and Camera-UI2 raw files so you can use the file with any RAW file from the N900.

I tried to upload it but it allows files of certain types. I'm happy to mail it to you if you PM me.
Thanks for the offer, and I'll share mine when I have created it. For some reason, I can't send PMs, even though my account is activated. Not sure what's up with that. Any chance you could zip and post to this thread?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Thanks for the offer, and I'll share mine when I have created it. For some reason, I can't send PMs, even though my account is activated. Not sure what's up with that.
There's a minimum number of posts required before you can send PMs (5 I think).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the offer, and I'll share mine when I have created it. For some reason, I can't send PMs, even though my account is activated. Not sure what's up with that. Any chance you could zip and post to this thread?
Alright. I've zipped it. Let me know if it worked.

As for closed source Nokia bits. I have no problems with Nokia not opening it but I'm hoping they learn from the N900 and allow an interface where someone can basically pull a modified raw and skip the JPG processing. I know this is dreaming.... But in terms of non-destructive editing and etc I think it would be great.

I am still holding out hope something can be done for the N9... Only time will tell.

Let me know how the profiles work out for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FCamProfile.zip (1.2 KB, 116 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Thanks, your profile works great! I was able to develop RAW using ufRAW without this damn vignette.

One thing bothers me, yet. Upon loading photo to CornerFix - before even loading filter - in left part of window, it was shown with both correct white balance, and without vignette! Yet, loading it into any RAw developer (be it ufRAW, or adobe one), camera white balance is *not* available, and vignette is present. Of course, vignette can be deleted using Your profile in cornerfix, and white balance adjusted manually, but I wonder if it's somehow possible to 'get' those proper white balance, that we see in original image, upon loading it to corner fix? Or is it just some kind of thumbnail, created during JPG processing on N900, and saved into RAW .dng?

In some aspects, such file has better white balance, that I was able to get using ufRAW. nothing very important, but I really wonder if our .dng's have some data inside, that isn't properly used by RAW developers, or is it just useless thumbnail.

// Edit

If I open .dng in CornerFix without choosing profile, and save it as new one (without any operation), new file - upon opening - *doesn't* show as correct white balance one. So, either such additional data are dropped during save process in CornerFix (be it some exif magic, or just useless thumbnail), or I don't get something.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
One thing bothers me, yet. Upon loading photo to CornerFix - before even loading filter - in left part of window, it was shown with both correct white balance, and without vignette! Yet, loading it into any RAw developer (be it ufRAW, or adobe one), camera white balance is *not* available, and vignette is present. Of course, vignette can be deleted using Your profile in cornerfix, and white balance adjusted manually, but I wonder if it's somehow possible to 'get' those proper white balance, that we see in original image, upon loading it to corner fix? Or is it just some kind of thumbnail, created during JPG processing on N900, and saved into RAW .dng?

In some aspects, such file has better white balance, that I was able to get using ufRAW. nothing very important, but I really wonder if our .dng's have some data inside, that isn't properly used by RAW developers, or is it just useless thumbnail.
I'm not sure, probably as you said the thumbnail. Unless we can tap into the Nokia secret sauce I think this is the best we can do for now.

What I'm convinced of is that what we have really isn't RAW. By that I mean something is goofy because when you take photos of a properly lit scene let's say a tree in the shadow, the shadow cutoff is so much more extreme on RAW. No matter how you kick up exposure, Brightrness and it is hard to recover data from the shadows.

If you look at the JPG you see detail there and it looks fine. Significantly more data. So what does that mean? As far as i'm concerned RAW on the N900 is really not that much better than JPG and in most cases JPG will give you a better file.

As for why your guess is as good as mine.

// Edit

If I open .dng in CornerFix without choosing profile, and save it as new one (without any operation), new file - upon opening - *doesn't* show as correct white balance one. So, either such additional data are dropped during save process in CornerFix (be it some exif magic, or just useless thumbnail), or I don't get something.

/Estel
If you don't choose a profile nothing happens to the file. I'm not sure I understand your wb issues, I use Lightroom and though the wb is wrong it is easy enough to correct.

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post: