Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Actually, I never *SWITCHED* to buying an Android. I bought an Android as my PHONE. I, so far, haven't upgraded out from my N800 and I'm still waiting for a suitable pocket sized computer and I don't trust having a cellphone in my computer.

I'm pretty sure that the people who bought an Android bought it because it's an excellent phone. I sincerely doubt that the people who bought an N900 genuinely bought it because it's an excellent phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Lansing, MI, US
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
wheely, thanks for steering this discussion back to what it should have been in the first place. We don't need to discuss the iPhone here. Do it elsewhere.

Anyway, to the OP, if Android is your cup of tea, go for it. The biggest issue most people don't understand is that you have a choice. Choice is a wonderful thing. You can choose to switch to something else and shouldn't be ridiculed for it or even chastised.

If you want:
Linux - Maemo/Android/various others
Apple - iPhoneOS
Windows - WindowsMobile (eww)

Good luck with the Android and I hope you'll be back in our community when you deem Nokia worthy of your business again.

Jesse~
These types of discussions are what I will miss most I think. Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

The Following User Says Thank You to taylorfs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Actually, I never *SWITCHED* to buying an Android. I bought an Android as my PHONE. I, so far, haven't upgraded out from my N800 and I'm still waiting for a suitable pocket sized computer and I don't trust having a cellphone in my computer.

I'm pretty sure that the people who bought an Android bought it because it's an excellent phone. I sincerely doubt that the people who bought an N900 genuinely bought it because it's an excellent phone.
cellphone in my computer.
Well, just cut a hole in your computer and jam your phone inside.

Jokes aside, have you considered the Dell 5" thing whose name I can't remember/Samsung Tape/tab/whatever it's called? It's both a phone and a 'computer'.

I just bought an android phone to try out, and I can understand why people would want to switch to it. It's awesome.

It makes me feel worse that the N900 could have beaten it hands down, but instead, nokia took it down the route of being a niche device.

3 things Nokia needed to do and the N900 would be an "iphone killer" device.

1 - Make it pretty. Even at the risk of losing some functionality/configurability. Make it look like the ducks nuts and it will sell. I will go ahead and say that I firmly believe MOST people buy Apple products because they look pretty first and foremost. Iphones would have been dead in the water if they looked like Symbian.

2 - Give it proper app support from day 1. This keeps the initial userbase happy, and helps generate good word of mouth advertising to bring in more users. This means having a working distribution system from day 1

3 - For gods sake, it's not hard to give it a full set of "phone" features. Why on earth can 99.9% of other phones send MMS?

Of course, having a working/stable phone helps, and I'm glad the N900 has been the most stable nokia I've owned in a while.

After having a weekend to play with an Android phone, I'm not sold on being able to rely on it as my primary device.....BUT, the only thing holding me back is that it has a capacitive touchscreen with no dedicated keyboard. I find I can browse/chat/email faster with a keyboard and a resistive screen.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by 316comp View Post
After having a weekend to play with an Android phone, I'm not sold on being able to rely on it as my primary device.....BUT, the only thing holding me back is that it has a capacitive touchscreen with no dedicated keyboard. I find I can browse/chat/email faster with a keyboard and a resistive screen.
LG GW620 might fit your bill.