Active Topics

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ croatia
and there is my problem: i can't fix my micro usb connector on phone because it's torned out with charger :S and all the contacts are broken, and this kind of connection is my only hope.
oh, yes and that thing with parallel wires, i know something about electricity, but not so much, a basic, very basic stuff, so if you can, or any body else, make a preview how will need to look that parallel connection.
just to be shure that i would not make something stupid

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Please note that this wiring for sure will cause data corruption problems on USB2.0 speed.
not for sure. I successfully flashed my device using an old USB cable (like in dvijetrecines pics) with wires soldered to the N900.
I think that only becomes critical if the wires are long, not as short as in a phone.

Last edited by lazart; 2011-09-15 at 17:32.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ croatia
Originally Posted by lazart View Post
not for sure. I successfully flashed my device using an old USB cable (like in dvijetrecines pics) with wires soldered to the N900.
I think that only becomes critical if the wires are long, not as short as in a phone.
you are my life saver! maybe know what is the solution for my problem in my first post on page before

Originally Posted by dvijetrecine View Post
you are my life saver! maybe know what is the solution for my problem in my first post on page before
I think I'm having the same problem: after I soldered a new usb socket into the phone with wires to the pads. Mine is very far behind the hole of the housing, that's why maybe it doesn't get connected properly. The other possibility may be a wrong connection, I'm not that sure with that GND-pad.
I didn't had the time yet to open it again. Maybe you can just compare your connections with those in the service manual or from the forum.

why are you soldering directly to the PCB instead of using a flash box rig?

like the one seen in page 4.

the best to have a n900 with a working usb is reinforcing it before it breaks, it is evident.... but we should do it.

I have done it in my n900s

regards

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 48GX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 48GX View Post
why are you soldering directly to the PCB instead of using a flash box rig?
I got so little money that I bought my N900 broken Also didn't want to spend money for that flash box rig.

As for correct cable wiring, see USB high-speed on wikipedia. Ho ever, as joerg_rw said, sharp edges are also a problem.

It may work for reflashing, but I would not use it daily as USB 2.0 workaround. Also, be extremely careful with any possible static etc. Remember that "test pads" are connected directly to chip, without any protection, so You're able to kill device for good using this without required care.

Also, even if Your "proper" port pads were destroyed, You can still connect wires to elements "after" USB connector pads. Just read this whole thread, picture of where every path "end" (going from USB port pad) is there.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
You're able to kill device for good using this without required care.
My experience is, that in the worst case, I didn't get a connection. Nothing got broken.
And for power wires of USB it's not important at all how they are located.

Also, even if Your "proper" port pads were destroyed, You can still connect wires to elements "after" USB connector pads. Just read this whole thread, picture of where every path "end" (going from USB port pad) is there.
Thanks for your advice, but I tried that and couldn't manage to solder wires (that hold) onto such small smd components.

Of course repairing the device with soldered wires on pads or components, and not on the original pads of the socket, is highly experimental...

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by lazart View Post

Of course repairing the device with soldered wires on pads or components, and not on the original pads of the socket, is highly experimental...
I'd consider using the test pads way more experimental than soldering a 5..10mm wire from USB receptacle pin to next solder point

<apt> Fixate receptacle like this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...991#post547991 - get the pic.zip form there http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=27 for details how to deal with contact pads came off, or >>NEVER use epoxy glue!<<

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I think that this may be also useful:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=12

Just keep in mind that shorting ID pin (second pin from right side) with GROUND like shown is wrong. Everything else is OK
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
test points, usb port