Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
Of all these, the Palm TX is the model with the most cpu/ram/etc.
Actually, the T5 used a 416 MHz Xscale processor, faster than the TX's 312 MHz CPU. The T5 also bested the TX in memory, 256 MB to 128 MB. The TX just finally integrated WiFi.

Originally Posted by ichmoimeyo View Post
In the meantime is the Free42 any good to you?
Yes, Free42 is great. I've used it a bit and the interface and implementation work great. Free42 is also well respected by HP 42 owners (though this implementation has a different layout from the actual calculator (it looks more like a 15c)

-Jonathan

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I got the power48 HP48/49/50 emulator installed -- and it doesn't work. Worst part is, I have no clue if it's some Palmish thing I'm doing wrong, or if it just catches a shortcoming in the VM.
Well, I can tell you I've installed in Garnet VM the same version of Power48 I've used on my Palm T5 for years along with the same HP48GX ROM, and in Garnet VM it just doesn't work. So it look as though they're missing something in their T5 emulation.

It appears I'll be carrying my real HP48GX in my briefcase a bit longer.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ichmoimeyo View Post
In the meantime is the Free42 any good to you?
You bet! I've been using it, but I never had a 42. I had 48/49 of various flavors, so I'd like to get something more like that. Also, the 49s have a good CAS, which I'd like to have.
Still, Free42 is a good solid RPN calculator for calculations, so it's been quite handy.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Well, I can tell you I've installed in Garnet VM the same version of Power48 I've used on my Palm T5 for years along with the same HP48GX ROM, and in Garnet VM it just doesn't work. So it look as though they're missing something in their T5 emulation.

It appears I'll be carrying my real HP48GX in my briefcase a bit longer.
I guess I may wind up buying an HP50, then. My 49G+ got a broken LCD this past month, and I was hoping to replace it with N800 software.

Well, it's good to know I'm not klutzing something up, anyhow. Thanks!

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Buenos Aires - ARGENTINA
Maybe the ROM need to be converted, that's what you have to do with Emu48.

Originally Posted by mickyterron View Post
Maybe the ROM need to be converted, that's what you have to do with Emu48.
That's a good suggestion.

Power48 is based upon Emu48, so it does indeed require that an HP-provided ROM image be converted into a suitable format prior to use. Unfortunately, I did use the Windows-based tool that comes with Power48 to convert the ROM image. Power48 + the converted ROM work on a true T5, but crash in Garnet VM.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Actually, the T5 used a 416 MHz Xscale processor, faster than the TX's 312 MHz CPU. The T5 also bested the TX in memory, 256 MB to 128 MB. The TX just finally integrated WiFi.
Yep. And the T3 has 12MB heap memory, the TX only 4MB as far as I know. The T3 could run certain memory-intensive programs that the TX couldn't. Er, and the T3 had a 400MHz Xscale processor. As sjgadsby says, integrated WiFi is what the TX gave us.

Tags
garnet, palm