Active Topics

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Flint MI
Ok, I'm a newbie. I have had my 770 for 5 days. I only know about Linux from a $2.00 CD I got 15 years ago. I have loaded Ubuntu as a second boot on my XP box. I have downloaded all of the various flashers related to the 770. I started with the base flasher to issue the --enable-usb-host command. It works up until the terminal says no suitable USB available, waiting. I plug in the power supply the Nokia splash screen comes up with the USB logo in the corner and nothing. If I monkey around with the power switch it will often boot the 770 and activate some kind of media loading software. So I know the USB is working. Besides I use a USB mouse and keyboard. What am I doing wrong?

AS for the multi boot. When I execute: apt-get install e2fsprogs
I get a bunch of PreDepends errors. e2fslibs, libblkidl, libcomerr2, libss2, libuuidl. I believe this is probably because I have a catalog missing or not entered properly.

Can someone help give me step by step instructions the flasher or where to get them? I have searched but all of the instructions give you the command line and then say to flash it, but now how. And explain what I need to do to fix the errors in my apt-get?

Thanks in advance,
santa_matt

Well.. I know on the N810 I had to hold the Menu button, I think ,when connected via USB as it's powering up to get it to use the flashers..

But that was using an in-law's windows machine.. haven't done the linux one yet..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Ah.. pulled from another thread:

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HOWT...yFlashing%2529

770: Now plug in the charger to switch on the 770 or switch it on using the power button WHILE holding the Home-button
PC: Watch the messages as the image loads to the 770 after which it reboots automatically -- you're done now!

I did both the plug in power and th power button while holding the home key. Both make the 770 come alive with just the Nokia splash screen and the USB logo in the corner. But it still won't talk to the terminal in Ubuntu.

santa_matt

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by santa_matt View Post
I did both the plug in power and th power button while holding the home key. Both make the 770 come alive with just the Nokia splash screen and the USB logo in the corner. But it still won't talk to the terminal in Ubuntu.

santa_matt

Are you running the flasher program on ubuntu as root user?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Being a neophyte to Ubuntu I would have to say I have no idea. Any quick way I can tell?

santa_matt

put sudo before the command and put ur user pass when prompted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
OK two new things, first, I was not using root. I put in sudo -s -H and my password when prompted and then I could see I was root.

Second thing. I still could not get flasher to work. In frustration I tried a newer version flasher-3.0 and wit root established it worked great. I am in USB host mode. Now all I have to do is build a power adapter.

Does anyone have an idea on the e2fsprogs install? I added another repository from the wiki and was able to load some of the missing files manually from a web based ftp through the application manager. But there are still some files missing according to the build dialog. Anybody know of where there is a complete repository for this?

Thanks for all of your help so far.

santa_matt

Should be in the normal repositories... see if you have the right ones as suggested here

I added the repositories but still no luck. It says that I need:
as predepends:
e2fslibs
libcomerr2
libss2
as depends:
ssh
libetpan3
Isn't ssh an alternative to dropbear? I use dropbear to gain root. Do I have to install ssh also?

santa_matt

Tags
flasher, how to, multiboot, newbie