Active Topics

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
@TomJ, I'll check out Qalendar, sounds great. Hopefully I can sync it with ownCloud

@justmemory, I'm using it as a daily phone, which is what I'll be doing with the Neo900 too - battery life actually isn't as terrible as I had expected it to be (it lasts all day for me) but that's probably because 3g is off and I haven't synced it with loads of services.

I just wanted a phone with a physical QWERTY keyboard for remote server administration (trying to type linux commands on a touch screen is just awful, even with something like Hacker's Keyboard on Android), and the flexibility I've come to enjoy on my laptop/servers/router.

Easy debian/ubuntu is something I'd definitely like to try (I saw a video of someone running XFE or LXDE on youtube, was shocked it was even possible with 256MB RAM!), I'm expecting it to get much more useful on the Neo900. Just think how many people on Android are stuck using rubbish office programs - Libreoffice would be awesome

To answer my own question about 0xffff, it seems you can flash the root FS but not eMMC with it. If this is out of date information, please correct me - I'd prefer to use an open source tool in future.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...=0xffff&page=6

Sam
Hi Sam!

Well, I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't recommend trying to flash the device other than flasher. For me flashing is working just fine with Win XP SP3.

Anyway, battery life can be increased; and 1 day isn't so bad I think.
For typing the keyboard is awsome, yes
If you are interested in easy debian or ubuntu, check the link; I wrote a summary about easy ubuntu (I use abiword and gnumeric though; openoffice is painfully slow; I don't know how libreoffice would run...).

Cheers,

jm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. I bought my n900 in 2009 and cracked both screens one week later. I finally obtain the courage to order both screens and now my amazing gadget is up and running. If you have any advice please share. I really what to restore my N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aovide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Welcome to the Maemo world!
I was about to compose a list of useful links for you but then I noticed that ALL the links I meant to give you are already provided in this very thread. I recommend starting with the one in post #4.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Welcome to the Maemo world!
I was about to compose a list of useful links for you but then I noticed that ALL the links I meant to give you are already provided in this very thread. I recommend starting with the one in post #4.
I'm new to the forum so navigation isn't so simple for me when you say post #4 are saying the one on this thread or somewhere else?

The Following User Says Thank You to aovide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by aovide View Post
I'm new to the forum so navigation isn't so simple for me when you say post #4 are saying the one on this thread or somewhere else?
in this thread

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
in this thread
Hi, nokiabot

I got the files, thanks a lot. Those links helped along with a few others. My only problem now is getting eMMC to do the job. When I connect the n900 with 'u' pressed my windows doesn't detect the phone. (My PC isn't connected to the internet. It's in the basement.) Did I download a bugged file? I mean I did use the Latest US file for eMMC

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to aovide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by aovide
Hi, nokiabot

I got the files, thanks a lot. Those links helped along with a few others. My only problem now is getting eMMC to do the job. When I connect the n900 with 'u' pressed my windows doesn't detect the phone. (My PC isn't connected to the internet. It's in the basement.) Did I download a bugged file? I mean I did use the Latest US file for eMMC

Thanks
first you need to flash emmc
flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f
when its done switch off the device by pulling of the battery bear in mind the device should not boot or you need to start over again
then flash rootfs by
flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
thats it
maybe you need to change the filenames according to your downloaded files
also you should copy both files to c/program files/maemo/flasher3.5 before flashing
easy as pie !
cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, Espaņa
I also will be late joining the N900 party, got myself a used N900 via eBay. Seems like the real deal,

I asked the seller to open up x-terminal and input 'uname -a', photograph the output and post the result, she did and all looks good as far as I can tell!

According to the seller, there are 'no chips, dents or scratches and the USB port is firm', (I hope so!).

Regards,

EDIT: - Well, it turned up and it IS immaculate!, the seller wasn't kidding, there are some marks on it, but are not really visible, I also had no idea just how small the unit is, I love it! (It hasn't even been updated!!, yay!)

Last edited by Markkyboy; 2015-02-05 at 10:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:

Tags
0xffff, firmware, flasher, hard reset, n900 2015, nokia n900