Active Topics

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
@lonk:
Thanks for sharing that info! Unfortunately I'm no graphics expert at all, so I can't help you here.

Originally Posted by Herbb View Post
I've run quassel, but keyboard doesn't work (can't focus on window?).
It seems that input still works on terminal instead of quassel window (I run it directly via chroot).
Confirmed! The quassel window doesn't get the keyboard focus when started via debbie (even after clicking into it - mouse focus works). This however doesn't seem to be a global problem (maybe qt-related?) since e.g. uzbl and apparently gimp work fine via debbie.
Unfortunately I have no idea so far how to fix it. Did quassel via debbie work fine in earlier images?

Anyway what's strange - when I ran quassel from lxde it ran only quassel-client...
Is it supposed to do something different? I don't know quassel (except for the very brief test I ran to confirm your findings). According to the package description [1] I'd think this is normal.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Could you please write small "tutorial" for upgrading Squeezy image to wheezy, similar to one You did for upgrading *to* Squeezy? I would put it in wiki, then. Of course, I suppose it includes more than just "dist-upgrade" - installation of new, custom pulseaudio, and such things.
Of course, I will do that - eventually.

quick and dirty:
Compared to the Lenny->Squeeze upgrade this time the dist-upgrade was even harder because I couldn't do it on device at all since the watchdog always rebooted my N900 at some point even with your (or freemangordon's) swap settings.
So I set up a Debian armel machine in qemu (I just copied kernel and initrd from [2]). If you have some other armel/hf hardware without a watchdog (e.g. Raspberry PI) I suggest to use that instead of qemu!
In that armel system I mounted the Squeeze Easy Debian image (make sure to mount all the ED bind mounts too - for reference you can check what's mounted in Maemo when ED is running).
After that's done it's pretty straight forward: chroot into the image, upgrade your sources.list and just do the dist-upgrade.
Once this is done you can copy the image back to your N900, as usual copy the xkb folder from Maemo into the image and install the patched pulseaudio packages (or patch them yourself the way I described in my last post if you prefer that).

Please let me know if you need further information! I'd like to have the final description in the wiki in a form that makes every advanced Debian user able to reproduce it.

Originally Posted by magic_doc View Post
The only thing could be done more elegant is the set-focus: it must be invoked using debbie because the binary does not work under maemo natively, it drops this error:

Code:
set-focus: relocation error: set-focus: symbol __isoc99_sscanf, version GLIBC_2.7 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
Does anybody have it compiled against actual maemo to make this work?
Do you know where to obtain the source code?

[1] http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/quassel
[2] http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/qemu/armel/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot, I'll try to do update on my "full of stuff" image before going vacation trip, and report back what is working, and what isn't

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by sulu View Post

Do you know where to obtain the source code?
I hope that this is it:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=425218&postcount=7

Code:
set-focus.c:

#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
Display *display;
Window window = 0;
if (argc!=2) {fprintf(stderr, "usage: set-focus <id>\n"); exit(-1);}
if (sscanf(argv[1], "0x%lx", &window)!=1) {
fprintf(stderr, "id must be in parsable by 0x%%lx\n");
exit(-1);
}
display = XOpenDisplay("");
if (display==NULL) {fprintf(stderr, "can't open display\n"); exit(-1);}
// I don't know which is correct:
XSetInputFocus(display, window, RevertToParent, CurrentTime);
//XSetInputFocus(display, window, RevertToPointerRoot, CurrentTime);
//XSetInputFocus(display, window, RevertToNone, CurrentTime);
XFlush(display);
}
The post is from 12-13-09, the binary I am using

download: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=32

with debbie has timestamp 12-16-09, could be the same if were lucky.
If it won't work one can send a pm to qobi maybe he can help us.

Thanks and good luck!

CU Michael

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magic_doc For This Useful Post:
I've just started upgrading my image to Wheezy (just = 2 hours ago ). Well, "only" 875 MB to download, and 725 more - as compared to current image size - space will be used...

I'm upgrading on device itself, without any problems (in fact, I'm doing other things on device, simultaneously, without considerable slowdown). sulu, are You using swap on microSD (only, without any active on eMMC) too, or only settings proposed in this thread?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

sulu, are You using swap on microSD (only, without any active on eMMC) too, or only settings proposed in this thread?
I'm using 768MB swap on microSD only, my images are on emmc and I tried freemangordon's, your's and the default swap settings. And I niced apt-get down to minimum priority during the ugrade. None of that prevented the watchdog from rebooting my N900.

Well, I've dist-upgraded it successfully, now going to start messing with it. whole upgrade went smooth, without nice'ing apt-get, and I was able to do other things on device while upgrade progressed - like reading TMO, conversing via SMS or GSM (voice).

One minor thing - dist-upgrade wasn't able to deal with 4 packages, log below:

Code:
Reading packet list...
Bulding dependency tree...
Reading state info...
Following packets were kept on hold:
  cpp-4.4 gcc-4.4-base
0 upgraded, 0 new installed, 0 removed i 2 not upgraded.
4 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, additional 0 B disk space will be used.
Continue [Y/n]?
Y

Configuring packet network-manager (0.9.4.0-5) ...

dpkg: error processing network-manager (--configure):

sub-process installed script post-installation returned error code 1

dpkg: problem with dependencies prohibit configuration of package network-manager-gnome:

network-manager-gnome depends on network-manager (>= 0.9.4); hoever:

Packet network-manager isn't yet configured.

dpkg: error processing network-manager-gnome (--configure):

problem with dependencies - leaving not configured

Configuring packet avahi-daemon (0.6.31-1) ...

adduser: User "avahi" already exist. Ending.

dpkg: error processing avahi-daemon (--configure):

sub-process installed script post-installation returned error code 1

dpkg: problem with dependencies prohibit configuration of package libnss-mdns:

libnss-mdns depends on avahi-daemon (>= 0.6.16-1); but:

Packet avahi-daemon isn't configured yet.

dpkg: error processing libnss-mdns (--configure):

problem with dependencies - leaving not configured

Errors occurred during processing:

network-manager

network-manager-gnome

avahi-daemon

libnss-mdns
Any ideas about those 4 2 packages, sulu? Also, is there any reason for keeping cpp-4.4 gcc-4.4-base (additional 2, mentioned at the beginning of log) kept on hold?

/Estel

// Edit

I've fixed problem with avahi-daemon, by purging it, then:
Code:
deluser avahi
delgroup avahi
...and installing avahi-daemon again.

Cause of problems with network-manager remain unknown, as error from it's postinst script isn't very helpful, but I've purged both it and network-manager-gnome, which triggered auto-installation of replacement one, wicd. This one doesn't return failed postinst, and configures properly (I hope). I seems to remember something related in times of mix->pure squeeze update?

// Edit 2

Nah, wicd doesn't work, just like it refused to work in times of squeeze update, needed to kick it out again. Sadly, no idea why network-manager doesn't configure properly - only one info that it returns, is failure of postinst script, resulting in "error exit code 1". It's a pity, that it doesn't tell anything more - for example, avahi posinst also returned exit code 1, but also info about "user avahi already exist", so I was able to fix it.
---

Other notes - LXDE loads considerably slower, initially (why?)

Chromium bug mentioned by sulu should be fixed now, and chromium updates well - yet, when I try to start it, terminal splits "Restricted memory violation". WTF?

// Edit 3

Despite purging everything that had "wicd" in name, I still se ugly wicd window on startup of LXDE, asking me for password, then, another one, complaining about "unable to connect to wicd d-bus interface" (same error was present, when wicd was installed), and 3th one, about "wicd control panel being disabled due to previous errors" (this one also present with wicd installed).

WTF, again? anyone have idea, which package I get to kick in butt, to get rid of that? It's possible, that this is thing responsible for slower LXDE start - after closing all damn error messages + pop-up notification about "being not connected", LXDe is fast as always been.

// Edit 4

everything else - like LibreOffice, GIMP, etc works reliably and fast. I I would be able to hammer mentioned bugs (or, someone will come with a solution, which would be nice), I'll prepare end-user wheezy image, with same things installed as in squeeze (but otherwise, being 100% wheezy).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2012-08-02 at 00:24. Reason: Provided english LANG output | fixed problem with avahi-daemon | networ-manager/wicd problems

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Well, I've dist-upgraded it successfully, now going to start messing with it. whole upgrade went smooth, without nice'ing apt-get, and I was able to do other things on device while upgrade progressed - like reading TMO, conversing via SMS or GSM (voice).
Sounds like either I got a very bad or you got a very good N900. Maybe I should try if my backup N900 works better.

Any ideas about those 4 2 packages, sulu? Also, is there any reason for keeping cpp-4.4 gcc-4.4-base (additional 2, mentioned at the beginning of log) kept on hold?
There's no reason I know of. Just "unhold" the packages
Code:
echo "cpp-4.4 install" | dpkg --set-selecions
echo "gcc-4.4-base install" | dpkg --set-selecions
and run the dist-upgrade again!

Nah, wicd doesn't work, just like it refused to work in times of squeeze update, needed to kick it out again. Sadly, no idea why network-manager doesn't configure properly - only one info that it returns, is failure of postinst script, resulting in "error exit code 1". It's a pity, that it doesn't tell anything more - for example, avahi posinst also returned exit code 1, but also info about "user avahi already exist", so I was able to fix it.
You neither need network-manager nor wicd since all network stuff is handled by Maemo. Just purging both shouldn't make any difference unless you have other packages depending on them. In that case it might help to create a virtual package that does nothing more than to "provide" e.g. wicd (in Debian packaging terms).
I think I can build and upload such a virtual package this evening.

Other notes - LXDE loads considerably slower, initially (why?)
I've noticed that it loads a bit slower, but I wouldn't call it "considerably" - maybe it's a second or so. I believe it's the usual phenomenon of software getting fatter as development progresses.

Chromium bug mentioned by sulu should be fixed now, and chromium updates well - yet, when I try to start it, terminal splits "Restricted memory violation". WTF?
I noticed that too. I'm still trying to gather information to add to the official bug report.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for You reply, sulu. I'm convinced, that slow start of LXDE is due to WICD sh*t starting, despite that I've literally purged everything that had wicd in package name, same for network-manager and it's dependencies. Still, I get prompts and errors mentioned earlier, on every LXDE start:
wicd asking for password
wicd complaining about inability to connect to d-bus
wicd complaining about it's interface being disabled
finally, ugly pop-up saying that i'm not connected...

Of course, internet access works nevertheless, thanks to Maemo providing it). any idea, what may be causing this, and what else I need to nuke?

Other than that, and chromium problem, there isn't anything else wrong.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2012-08-02 at 20:43.

Originally Posted by magic_doc View Post
Does anybody have it compiled against actual maemo to make this work?
I invesigated a bit and found that set-focus was never meant to run natively under Maemo.
But I guess I got you wrong the first time since I thought you implied otherwise. Sorry for that! I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to development outside the ED chroot, so if somebody ports set-focus to Maemo that somebody won't be me.

I've run quassel, but keyboard doesn't work (can't focus on window?).
It seems that input still works on terminal instead of quassel window (I run it directly via chroot).
I think I've found the reason for this problem.
quassel explicitely needs to get the keyboard focus. In LXDE it gets it automatically since LXDE already has the focus which hands it on to quassel.
In Maemo via debbie however it does not get the focus automatically. Therefore one has to call debbie set-focus <quassel-window-id> manually after starting quassel. Then it works.

Unfortunately there are two further problems:
1. quassel opens two windows in certain situations (e.g. for initial account setup). The quassel main window has the window title Quassel while the additional window is called quassel (notice the different cases!). Usually the set-focus calls are pretty robust since the id is checked for both cases:
Code:
wmctrl -l | grep -i "some-window-name" | awk '{print $1}
Unfortunately in this case that causes trouble since the result would be ambiguous.

2. quassel takes some time to load the window. Therefore set-focus can't be called immediately since there is no window yet to obtain an id from. So we have to wait, but on the other hand we'd have to be fast enough to get the id before any additional windows are loaded since that would cause the ambiguity problem again.

The only realistic solution I see at the moment is to call set-focus manually after starting quassel. An end-user friendly way to do that could be an xbindkeys macro as suggested by magic_doc here [1].

@Estel:
That whole wicd thing sounds very strange to me. I don't think I can be of any assistance without seeing first-hand what you describe.
Can you please upload your image just the way it is now so I can investigate it?
If you give a public link (which I'd prefer over a PM for various reasons) please add a big fat warning that it's a buggy image!
I won't be able to make any reasonable investigations before monday.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2790

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
sulu, thanks for will to look at it. I'm packing image and will upload it afterwards. In the meantime, as some possible pointers, here is output of find -name *wicd* invoked from within ED chroot:

Code:
./var/log/wicd
./var/log/wicd/wicd.log
./var/run/wicd
./var/run/wicd/wicd.pid
./var/lib/update-rc.d/wicd
./var/lib/wicd
./var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/X-Debian-Applications-Network-Monitoring-wicd.desktop
./var/lib/dpkg/info/python-wicd.md5sums
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-daemon.conffiles
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-gtk.postrm
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-gtk.conffiles
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-gtk.prerm
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-daemon.templates
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-daemon.postrm
./var/lib/dpkg/info/python-wicd.list
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd.list
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-daemon.md5sums
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-gtk.postinst
./var/lib/dpkg/info/python-wicd.postinst
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-daemon.postinst
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd.md5sums
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-daemon.list
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-gtk.md5sums
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-daemon.config
./var/lib/dpkg/info/python-wicd.prerm
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-daemon.prerm
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wicd-gtk.list
./etc/rc6.d/K20wicd
./etc/rc0.d/K20wicd
./etc/rc4.d/S20wicd
./etc/rc1.d/K20wicd
./etc/xdg/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop.disable
./etc/xdg/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop
./etc/rc3.d/S20wicd
./etc/init.d/wicd
./etc/dbus-1/system.d/wicd.conf
./etc/wicd
./etc/rc2.d/S20wicd
./etc/rc5.d/S20wicd
./etc/default/wicd
./home/user/.wicd
./usr/bin/wicd-client
./usr/bin/wicd-gtk
./usr/share/app-install/desktop/wicd.desktop
./usr/share/app-install/icons/wicd-gtk.png
./usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/wicd-gtk.png
./usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/apps/wicd-gtk.png
./usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/wicd-gtk.png
./usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/wicd-gtk.svg
./usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/wicd-gtk.png
./usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/wicd-gtk.png
./usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/wicd-gtk.png
./usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/wicd-gtk.png
./usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/he/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/ast/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/ml/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/kk/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/eu/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/ka/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/ko/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/nn/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/ar_EG/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/zh_HK/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/lv/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/fa/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/te/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/wicd.mo
./usr/share/applications/wicd.desktop
./usr/share/menu/wicd-gtk
./usr/share/pixmaps/wicd-gtk.xpm
./usr/share/pixmaps/wicd
./usr/share/doc/wicd-daemon
./usr/share/doc/wicd-gtk
./usr/share/doc/python-wicd
./usr/share/doc/wicd
./usr/share/pyshared/wicd-1.7.2.4.egg-info
./usr/share/pyshared/wicd
./usr/share/man/man5/wicd-wireless-settings.conf.5.gz
./usr/share/man/man5/wicd-manager-settings.conf.5.gz
./usr/share/man/man5/wicd-wired-settings.conf.5.gz
./usr/share/man/nl/man5/wicd-wireless-settings.conf.5.gz
./usr/share/man/nl/man5/wicd-manager-settings.conf.5.gz
./usr/share/man/nl/man5/wicd-wired-settings.conf.5.gz
./usr/share/man/nl/man8/wicd.8.gz
./usr/share/man/nl/man1/wicd-client.1.gz
./usr/share/man/nl/man1/wicd-gtk.1.gz
./usr/share/man/man8/wicd.8.gz
./usr/share/man/man1/wicd-client.1.gz
./usr/share/man/man1/wicd-gtk.1.gz
./usr/share/python/runtime.d/wicd-daemon.rtupdate
./usr/share/python/runtime.d/wicd-gtk.rtupdate
./usr/share/wicd
./usr/share/wicd/gtk/wicd-client.pyc
./usr/share/wicd/gtk/wicd.ui
./usr/share/wicd/gtk/wicd-client.py
./usr/share/wicd/daemon/wicd-daemon.pyc
./usr/share/wicd/daemon/wicd-daemon.py
./usr/share/bug/wicd-daemon
./usr/share/bug/wicd-gtk
./usr/share/bug/python-wicd
./usr/share/bug/wicd
./usr/sbin/wicd
./usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55wicd
./usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/wicd-1.7.2.4.egg-info
./usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/wicd
./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wicd-1.7.2.4.egg-info
./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wicd
Few dozens are just var things from dpkg, but later, It seems that many things are left despite purge'ing, and I feel urge to rm them all, but I'll wait for comments

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2012-08-02 at 20:55.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze