Active Topics

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Australia
Background (can skip to "Priority')

I got my 1st n900 a couple months ago (perfect condition), flashed it with no dramas, installed CSSU and some apps. Bought a 2nd n900 with a scratched keypad and poor light distributing back-light.

The 1st phone I was installing something and finished the requirement to remove/disable something (I'm guessing, needed for boot?). I got distracted and forgot about completing the steps, phone worked fine until I rebooted it.
On 'power on' = white background, Nokia logo, turns to black (no dots), steady white LED the whole time until it powers down.

This is a while back, so that's what I remember. Have now done multiple attempts to flash, always ending up with it only recognizing for a second (it saying device RX-51, etc), then it's stuck on "Suitable USB device not found, waiting."

Tried majority of (wiki.maemo) on 32bit Mint and Vista, 64bit Mint and Win7 (with lib_32) using 2 different generic cables.
On Vista, "safety remove" icon would repeatedly appear for 2sec and disappear for 2sec.

There would be dark Nokia logo with USB icon for ages or might light up Nokia logo with USB, or reboot every 2mins.
I've only been trying Flasher-3.5, to install Vanilla (which must be done first?).

Priority
I'm starting to think the the USB port contacts are not sufficient.
One more try with a new liveCD of Linux/Mint 32bit but can't figure out how to continue from dialogue box when trying to install flasher .deb :

Can only seem to scroll. Have tried clicking 'Ok', typing O, OK, ok, y, yes. Hitting enter, Esc.
"Search engine" = no help

Ideas?

Last edited by mike727; 2015-12-23 at 01:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to mike727 For This Useful Post:
Hit 'tab' key until 'ok' lits up. Then space bar or enter ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Australia
Of course, that worked, thanks.
It still would not recognize, but.....today, I tried flashing with "combined", which I thought was suicide. While it was progressing, I was scarred that the phone would be completely bricked, when it finished.

On the archive page, is the wording of the red writing a bit off? Any hint of being able to flash "combined" first, was completely ignored because of the red writing on that page (or is it just me?).

Anyway, I'm happy, the phone works great now.
So the failure to flash the emmc, was because the bootloader (part of COMBINED) was not working properly? In this case, the bootloader was fixed by flashing combined.
I should now be fine to flash emmc?

Happy Christmas from Australia!

The Following User Says Thank You to mike727 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by mike727 View Post
Of course, that worked, thanks.
It still would not recognize, but.....today, I tried flashing with "combined", which I thought was suicide. While it was progressing, I was scarred that the phone would be completely bricked, when it finished.

On the archive page, is the wording of the red writing a bit off? Any hint of being able to flash "combined" first, was completely ignored because of the red writing on that page (or is it just me?).

Anyway, I'm happy, the phone works great now.
So the failure to flash the emmc, was because the bootloader (part of COMBINED) was not working properly? In this case, the bootloader was fixed by flashing combined.
I should now be fine to flash emmc?

Happy Christmas from Australia!
Combined → eMMC → Combined

That's how I always used to do it.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Proper full flash is:
eMMC (vanilla) - firmware (combined)

in some exceptional cases it is needed to flash firmware first:
combined - vanilla - combined

simple flash (without reformatting eMMC):
combined

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
firmware, flasher