Notices

So I installed Mobile Hot Spot, because I will be on a train for 6 hours and I need Internet on my Lap Top.

But every time I try to test it, it just says "HotSpot failed to start"

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
But every time I try to test it, it just says "HotSpot failed to start"
Mobile hotspot installs a custom kernel as a prerequisite, did you reboot the device after installing it? If not you've still the original kernel loaded and M.H. can't work.

bye!

check if wifi is on (wifi switcher can turn it off/on) and/or try starting it in x-terminal to see the log messages

Originally Posted by hermooz View Post
Mobile hotspot installs a custom kernel as a prerequisite, did you reboot the device after installing it? If not you've still the original kernel loaded and M.H. can't work.

bye!
I did restart it. I then reflashed my phone, and HotSpot was on the phone after the reflash.

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Do you have Nmap installed?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I would uninstall & reinstall just to be safe.

HotSpot wants to establish the data connection itself. It failed for me when I had a pre-existing connection, but worked when I started with none. This may of course be worthless info in your case...
HA

I dont have Nmap installed. Ill try to reinstall it and start the connection without 3G or wifi on

Just uninstalled Mobile HotSpot and reinstalled it, and restarted the phone. Still not working. Any other suggestions?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
If you have followed all the steps described above and it doesn't work, then some error message is needed to figure what is wrong. What gets displayed if u open an X term and type
Code:
mobilehotspot
Also note that using the USB cable the n900 can serve as a hsdpa/umts modem for a connected PC. That seems to be your use case, not so and is simpler tan mobilehotspot. Search the forums if you need info.
Goodluck, HA

Last edited by handaxe; 2010-07-07 at 20:22.

Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Just uninstalled Mobile HotSpot and reinstalled it, and restarted the phone. Still not working. Any other suggestions?
First, you must have installed Enhanced Linux kernel.

Second, beside mobilehotspot you must install iptables and wireless-tools.

Do you have all that?

The Following User Says Thank You to kolos For This Useful Post: