Active Topics

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
ok thank you all for your help!

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Today is another happy day for Maemo 5 users:

Nokia N900 software update (part 2)

See also http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.1 for a more technical changelog.

Be patient if you can't see an update yet. They will come to your time zone at some point in the following 24 hours.

For those willing to go flashing instead of update over the air: Global, USA and MENA images are available.

Check http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware for instructions to flash your device.
i m trying to reflash my n900 but it always stop at suitable device usb not found waiting so what should i do.? i dont know what happened to my n900 and from 5 days it only display one language i also dont know its which language, i want to reflash it,so if you can help. thx

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by ishratnazirbloch View Post
i m trying to reflash my n900 but it always stop at suitable device usb not found waiting so what should i do.? i dont know what happened to my n900 and from 5 days it only display one language i also dont know its which language, i want to reflash it,so if you can help. thx
What OS are you using? I couldn't get it to work with XP here (I think it's a service pack issue), so ended up booting a Linux CD and flashing it from there (where it worked straight away).

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Ok, I'm having what seems to me to be an unusual flash problem, and this seems to be the place to post it. Here are the steps I am going thru, and when I did this a while ago I ended up perpetually rebooting.

1. Reflash. I'm using RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin and following the instructions in the Wiki for reflashing from Linux.

2. As soon as I complete the flash, I run the App manager and pick the Maemo 5 update. It says Maemo 5 1.2009.44-1.002.

I get a message saying that the above version is being updated. All seems to be going normally.

The device restarts. Everything looks fine. (Battery level is also fine.)

I get a message saying Operating system successfully updated.

I run App Manager again, check for updates.

A Maemo update is listed, 2.2009.51-1.002.

I click it and tell app manager to do the update.

A 90 mb update is being downloaded. All looks fine. It takes quite awhile to do the download.

A message displays -- Updating 'Maemo 5' 2.2009.51-1.002. All looks fine. The progress bar slowly creeps across the message.

I get a message saying Restarting the device. A progress bar appears.

I get the welcome screen. I click Save because the settings are correct.

The normal screen pops up, but I reboot.

And reboot.

And reboot. I appear to be in a permanent reboot loop.

So, something is wrong. I didn't do anything and yet I am in a reboot loop.

Originally Posted by ishratnazirbloch View Post
This is talked about in the Wiki. You unplug your USB, hold down the u key on your N900, plug back in the USB and don't release the u until the usb icon appears at the upper right of your N900 screen.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Ok, I'm having what seems to me to be an unusual flash problem, and this seems to be the place to post it. Here are the steps I am going thru, and when I did this a while ago I ended up perpetually rebooting.

1. Reflash. I'm using RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin and following the instructions in the Wiki for reflashing from Linux.

2. As soon as I complete the flash, I run the App manager and pick the Maemo 5 update. It says Maemo 5 1.2009.44-1.002.

I get a message saying that the above version is being updated. All seems to be going normally.

The device restarts. Everything looks fine. (Battery level is also fine.)

I get a message saying Operating system successfully updated.

I run App Manager again, check for updates.

A Maemo update is listed, 2.2009.51-1.002.

I click it and tell app manager to do the update.

A 90 mb update is being downloaded. All looks fine. It takes quite awhile to do the download.

A message displays -- Updating 'Maemo 5' 2.2009.51-1.002. All looks fine. The progress bar slowly creeps across the message.

I get a message saying Restarting the device. A progress bar appears.

I get the welcome screen. I click Save because the settings are correct.

The normal screen pops up, but I reboot.

And reboot.

And reboot. I appear to be in a permanent reboot loop.

So, something is wrong. I didn't do anything and yet I am in a reboot loop.
You may need to reflash the eMMC as well then. Is there a particular reason you're doing it this way rather than just flashing with the 51-1 firmware though?

I've never used Linux to flash before and was just following the Wiki, so I just picked one of the available .bin files. My temporary workaround was not to install the last Maemo 5 upgrade and all is fine. As I mentioned, I didn't have a problem to begin with so it's strange I ended in a boot loop.

I assumed I should be using minimal space since I didn't install anything. I didn't see any error messages.

So, I would like to know

(a) why am I in a reboot loop?
(b) what did I do wrong? I basically reflashed my device and immediately ran Nokia-approved updates. What did I do that got me into trouble?

So, I would like to know

(b) what did I do wrong? I basically reflashed my device and immediately ran Nokia-approved updates. What did I do that got me into trouble?
(a) I've no idea
(b) You did nothing wrong - I used the same process and have had no issues.

I'd suggest trying flashing with the 51-1 firmware instead of using OTA updates from an earlier version. If that doesn't fix it, then flash the eMMC as well. If you need to back up anything from the eMMC, power the N900 down completely, then plug it into the USB. It should start up in mass storage mode (without loading the full OS).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
So, I would like to know

This problem is SOLVED! The key was flashing the eMMC (as was suggested) as well. I didn't realize that flashing has now been turned into a two-step process to really do a complete flash. Whatever, I had a problem with GPS that is now also solved.

Tags
extras-devel, firmware, firmware update, flasher, free space, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n900, n900 pr1.1, n900 pr1.1 update, nsu, ota, pr1.1, pr1.1 update, rootfs, ssu, update