Notices

Poll: Does hotmail exchange / activesync work for you?
Poll Options
Does hotmail exchange / activesync work for you?

only thing i can syn is calendar, but i have to set work calendar instead of n900. calendar + contacts or calendar + mail or all 3 are NOT working (server error / server maintenance...)

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Paris
I have sometime some errors but it finnished to work a few minutes after (up to 20 sometimes). At most time errors comes between 20h00 and 23h00 Paris time

I made the switch from Google/NeuvaSync to Hotmail's native ActiveSync a few weeks ago. It work fine for a while but last week I began experiencing persistent sync failures that indicate "Communications error with server" or "server down for maintenance" or "Error in Exchange Server". If I deselect Contact syncing, the problem goes away.

In my hotmail account, I've 'imported' and/or 'linked' Contact stores from Facebook, LinkedIn, and Gmail. On the desktop, I'm sync'ing Outlook with Hotmail, and also installed the Outlook Social Connector for LinkedIn and Facebook.

I've not found a clear explanation for how these mechanisms inter-operate (or don't) so I'd love to learn what others think...

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Originally Posted by pwannell View Post
i cant for the life of me get activesync continually searching without getting server is down for maintenance. any ideas?
Same here. It consistantly fails.

After reading through the thread properly, I noticed oweng said that just email worked, not contacts and calendar. So I only ticked email, and sure enough, email now works.

Last edited by bigears5000; 2010-10-18 at 06:35. Reason: Now partialy working.

It works for 3 weeks for me and then I only get connection errors.

I installed Zarafa Community Edition on my vitual Server and it works perfect.

I can't understand why MS Active-Sync is worse than Zarafa's Active-Sync.

Email and calendar sync works fine for me. Contacts work only if I remove the facebook services feature. So plain contacts work fine. Another thing I noticed is that hotmail does not retain skype id or other IM usernames. That worked fine previously with my work exchange server. Guess it has something to do with extra fields handling.

I may have fixed it:

The integration of Hotmail and MSN Messenger within the Windows Live service has increased. So your Hotmail Contacts and your MSN Messenger Contacts are now the same data store (so it appears). For me, that's about 950 entries. And because I use the Outlook Social Connector for Windows Live, I have the same 950 entries on the desktop.

On my N900 I have ~1000+ contacts (after merging duplicates from numerous IM/VOIP accounts and Exchange ActiveSync). But in the Contacts app on the phone, when I use the 'by groups' view to see how many contacts originate from the MSN Messenger service (using MSN Haze), it shows only 3.

I removed the MSN Haze IM/VOIP account from the phone, and now Exchange ActiveSync works without error, including syncing Contacts.

[EDIT]: I've installed/activated MSN (pecan) instead and everything works as well.

Does this work for anyone else?

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Last edited by digittante; 2010-10-11 at 18:34.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
I installed Zarafa Community Edition on my vitual Server and it works perfect.
Can you post here what version/conbination of Zarafa and z-push you're using?

I tried Zarafa a while back and had problems with 'whole day' calendar items, timezones and images in contacts.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Jakarta, Indonesia
It happened on random for me.
I set my Exchange to sync manually only (doesn’t need the push mail) and most mails coming are junk anyway.

Sometimes, it would return the error message for 1-2 days. But then, everything is fine again until the next attack.
And usually even with the error message, mail and calendar got synchronized (no idea how to confirm with the contacts).

Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Can you post here what version/conbination of Zarafa and z-push you're using?

I tried Zarafa a while back and had problems with 'whole day' calendar items, timezones and images in contacts.
Zarafa 6.40.2 and Z-Push 1.4.2.

- 'whole day' calendar items working
- images in contacts working too
- I can't say something about timezones

The Following User Says Thank You to Nano For This Useful Post: