Active Topics

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by maemojedi View Post
Why does no one comment on the boot scree question.
Something like this?

Code:
sudo gainroot
cp /foo/bar/video.mp4 /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/
cd /etc/hildon-welcome.d/
cp default.conf default.confbackup
vi default.conf
Can someone verify that the commands are right?

Last edited by joppu; 2009-11-29 at 00:35.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Before you say anything else, I have to point out the hilarity that yesterday the two top threads on this forum's latest posts section where:

- "Where I can download ROMs?" (maemojedi's thread)
- "Nintendo maybe going to sue Nokia for emulators"

(not the original thread titles, but my own views of the topics)

And maemojedi's was even COMPLAINING that we weren't sending the ROMs to him! I personally would've just closed the thread and be done with it. Maybe you would've liked the "copyright czar"'s email so that you could direct your question to him?

-------------

That said, you have to consider this previously was a hacker forum, and that your assumption that there are no other Maemo forums is wrong. If you think we don't cater enough to people who don't bother to Google for a few minutes, I'm sure you'll find a forum for you.

Well, didn't you just prove his point. I agree with a whole lot with what Maemojedi said. And the answer above is point and fact. This is a very negitive and hostel place for anybody thats not part of your digithead club. I have a N900 on the way from Amazon, and I wont even open the box before it goes back.

The Following User Says Thank You to f pickels For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
maemojedi, I see your point and agree with some of them. I, too, don't like how some of the wiser members, instead of explaining the risks, just say, "Its not for you," and leave it at that.

Some people paid $650 to use the N900 as a toy and testbed for hacking, etc. It is OUR device to use as we wish. If someone wants to use it as an ashtray or to level the coffee table, that's their business. I won't be happy until I do brick this thing, in my case. Its a learning tool for me. As long as I'm prewarned, its all good.

Now the senior membership has a point. Bad experiences can lead to outcry and bad morale from the afflilcted, along with disabled devices and lost data. But if someone asks me for a dangerous solution, I'll explain the risks, give instructions on device backup, restoration, and reflashing, advise them to wait for the solution to be refined and moved to extras, and let them decide whether the risk is worth it.

I don't see how you guys can share with each other but not the rest of the community. It creates a subcommunity by definition.

You should never ask for warez, and if you're treated rudely for that, that's what you get. Copyright infringement is major for anyone, and especially Nokia, which is the benefactor of Maemo.org. Steal on your own time, and if you don't know how, do the prison time and learn there like the rest of the real thugs. NES ROMs are protected property, and if you don't own the games, you don't have the right to possess them.

WE, Maemo.org, need to act more mature sometimes. Everyday, there's some punk laughing at someone, calling someone names, acting like they're smarter or superior to another. I know half the guys here were the guys in high school that got locked in lockers, dunked in toilets, and treated like doormats by "the cool kids". A majority here are smart geeks and geniuses, but alot are bitter idiot nerds, hiding behind the veil of anonymity, talking crap they wouldn't were they facing the targets of their barbs. That s**tty culture needs to die fast.

It makes it a pain to deal with sometimes. Its like going to prison (yeah, I've been twice...), and all of the guys in their cells screaming, "I'm gonna make you my b**ch!" but when you see them in person, they're quiet as a church house mouse. This is just wasting time. This is a knowledge base, the OFFICIAL knowledge base. Share the knowledge. We're not as dumb as everyone thinks.

I'm reading a book on programming in C++ and Qt, just because I'm sick of hearing, "If you don't know how to code, don't worry about it" or "If you have to ask, you don't need to know". I'm smart enough to figure out what risks I'll take with my device, and how to reach myself to program. I'm not the only one. We're alot smarter than many assume.

Each one teach one, as we say on the block. Teach, as in tell them the facts, the pros and cons, and let it be...

Now someone laugh, call me a name, tell me how stupid I am, etc. while I'm nowhere near. Just wish I could have the next Maemo Summit in DFW so I could check some of these gum bumpers. Its becoming standard for Maemo.org. Bunch of punk kids can ruin anything.

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Exactly!
Telling normal users to enable red pill mode and telling normal users to use Extras-Devel or Extras-Testing is simply dangerous. Everybody please ALWAYS add a big warning when speaking about these. Also see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=343619
THAT's how you do it. Prewarn them, and then its on them. Some of us don't mind. Symbian Freak was the center of the Symbian hacking movement, and we freely shared that info with the required warnings. Its not that hard. Now some douche will say,"Symbian is far less complex than Maemo" So what?! Stop thinking you know what's best for everyone else. Who are you guys, Steve Jobs?! The iPhone App Approval Committee?!?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by f pickels View Post
Well, didn't you just prove his point. I agree with a whole lot with what Maemojedi said. And the answer above is point and fact. This is a very negitive [sic] and hostel [sic] place for anybody thats not part of your digithead club. I have a N900 on the way from Amazon, and I wont even open the box before it goes back.
And then there's the perspective of many who have been here a while, who are dismayed by the impatience and audacity exhibited by some demanding newcomers.

This "digithead club" didn't spring up overnight, and is neither fundamentally negative nor hostile. Those reactions tend to come with reasons.

I think it would serve everyone, newcomers and old-timers alike, to calm down and breathe as we work through the ongoing cultural change here. Pissing contests benefit no one.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Software, applications, go through different stages of maturity. At early stages (also called "alpha") the applications can very well turn your device into a brick, because at that point, they are little more than technology demostrators.

After some iterations, the most dangerous bugs are fixed, and an application reaches a "beta" stage. In this stage, there may be some bugs, but at most they are annoying and will not brick your device.

After some more iterations, an app is considered stable and is released to the public.

Applications in alpha stages, due to the complexity of their code (and an emulator, or boot screen changer, are complex) tend to have difficult instalations steps and are unstable, leading to unforeseen consequences. That kind of applications are in special repositories, for example, extras-devel, and extra steps are taken to avoid users, that do not have the necessary advanced knowledge to handle them, to install them and brick their devices.

Applications in late beta stages and in release stages are in Extras, and ready to be downloaded and used without major hassle.
Question, is this explaination anywhere on the site as a nice Visio-like process chart that can be used to point folks to...

...this way they could see the differences between what they want and their level of platform expertise they'd need in order t o adequately support the want...

...and it would provide some means for developers to put their applications on such a continuom/procese chart so that they would be more inclined to have some canned responses ready when providing some level of support to their application?

If this existed that would have kept this discussion (and a few others) from getting out of hand.

If it does exist in some manner, any way of bringing it closer to the front of Maemo.org so that people would be less likely to ask something that would ask a question that would initiate the "ire of Maemo" (or at least such a perception)?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Some people paid $650 to use the N900 as a toy and testbed for hacking, etc. It is OUR device to use as we wish.
That's exactly the problem. We have users and bloggers out there targetting the people that just want to use the N900 as their daily use main phone encouraging them to go ahead and use potentially dangerous, risky options to get more apps when it's far from required. They don't know or understand the risks nor are these users/bloggers telling them what the risks are.

All the actual information, including the risks and the methods for doing so anyways are all already here for anyone to find (even if the search here on Talk isn't the best).

It's not about creating a special group of people that hold "the knowledge". It's about making sure that someone that has never had a Maemo device doesn't immediately try something that can harm his device until he at least understands what's going on and the risks he's signing up for. Again, all the info is already shared anyways, so it's not like there's anything actually hidden here, just massively discouraged.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Well jedi, you have to take in considiration, our planet is overpopulated with inbreds, so you're bound to encounter some in your life. As to this community, I've met nice & ignorant people, but it's mostly based on people who lack a social life & can't hold themselves back from being an utter n3rd. People who pretend to be someone important by creating crappy applications with bugs (lolzit)... just ignore those people & keep leading your life, you'll find some honest & kindhearted people ;}

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post

All the actual information, including the risks and the methods for doing so anyways are all already here for anyone to find (even if the search here on Talk isn't the best).

It's not about creating a special group of people that hold "the knowledge". It's about making sure that someone that has never had a Maemo device doesn't immediately try something that can harm his device until he at least understands what's going on and the risks he's signing up for. Again, all the info is already shared anyways, so it's not like there's anything actually hidden here, just massively discouraged.
There's even a wiki that everyone tries to share the information in.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Main_Page

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by f pickels View Post
Well, didn't you just prove his point. I agree with a whole lot with what Maemojedi said. And the answer above is point and fact. This is a very negitive and hostel place for anybody thats not part of your digithead club. I have a N900 on the way from Amazon, and I wont even open the box before it goes back.
<prologue>
(thank me if you've heard this before, I just wanna guage how many times I've actually said it )

I'm not a programmer. I bought my tablet because my laptop's mobo fried out and I needed something to hold me over until it got fixed.

I know a little more than nothing about linux.

I LOOOOVES me some windoze. I am running vista right now, but also like xp and 7 (actually 7 is my fav os right now).

In spite of that, everyone here treats me just fine. It must be my sparkling personality (). I have asked a ton of questions, and have ended up with answers to all of them (after a bunch of searching, of course).

That being said.....
</prologue>

From what I've seen, stupid questions get stupid answers (I've posted my share of both).

When someone says "it isn't a good idea to try this or that," either heed their warning or stfu about it.

This isn't Nokia tech support, the people here don't have to be nice to you. NO ONE is getting paid to post here, not even the "digithead club" or whatever ******ed nonsense you called them.

No one here owes you ANYTHING.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post

I LOOOOVES me some windoze. I am running vista right now, but also like xp and 7 (actually 7 is my fav os right now).
I like Windows 7, can't wait till it arrives so I can finally get rid of Windows Vista on my laptop.

From what I've seen, stupid questions get stupid answers (I've posted my share of both).
Yup or you get told to use the search. (I've received the same replies too).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
maemocannonfodder, maemoredshirt, sell crack for n900 money