Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
a few of my favorite themes are now starting to bundle their own transitions.ini file, which for the most part introduces painfully-slow transitions/animation sequences. what is with this? why not have these transitions.ini files as a separate install? i change themes fairly often to keep things interesting, but i do not want transitions changing as well.

does anyone else agree with me?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Well, if you don't like the bundled transitions you can easily delete the provided transitions.ini or choose not to use the theme? I cannot locate the problem here.

Edit: allthough it would not be difficult to make custom transitions into separate package to repos. Maybe that would actually be a good idea.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Last edited by d-iivil; 2010-06-25 at 12:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Good Point. I've Carbon Theme with my own transitions.ini, if an update of my theme changed my transition.ini to something else i wouldn't be too thrilled TBH. Do you mean separate install as in a different program in which you can choose which transition you want, or as you install a certain transition. IMO i think an app that changes transitions would be cool. there could be options like ultra fast, or classy or something.

Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
Edit: allthough it would not be difficult to make custom transitions into separate package to repos. Maybe that would actually be a good idea.
yeah exactly, do you think it would it be possible to preview the transitions before you install?

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
it's a big pain if i have to manually delete the custom transitions.ini after switching themes.

does a custom transitions.ini bundled with a theme replace the file installed by default n the n900, or just take priority over it when the theme is activated?

EDIT: a package that bundles all transition.ini files and allows easy switching would be brilliant. it would be totally seperate from the themes themselves, and would persist on theme changes (granted every theme maker agrees to not bundle transitions.ini files)

Last edited by craftyguy; 2010-06-25 at 12:37.

Originally Posted by MSHAH View Post
Good Point. I've Carbon Theme with my own transitions.ini, if an update of my theme changed my transition.ini to something else i wouldn't be too thrilled TBH. Do you mean separate install as in a different program in which you can choose which transition you want, or as you install a certain transition. IMO i think an app that changes transitions would be cool. there could be options like ultra fast, or classy or something.
In my case I'm thinking about uploading two packages to repos:
- Black Plastic Theme (just the theme without transitions)
- Black Plastic Custom Transitions (just the transitions.ini file for the theme)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post

does a custom transitions.ini bundled with a theme replace the file installed by default n the n900, or just take priority over it when the theme is activated?
In my theme it's only active when the theme is in use. Don't know about others.

[QUOTE=craftyguy;728894
does a custom transitions.ini bundled with a theme replace the file installed by default n the n900, or just take priority over it when the theme is activated?[/QUOTE]

Good question, i just overwrite my transitions.ini and keep a back-up, what do you do?

Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
In my case I'm thinking about uploading two packages to repos:
- Black Plastic Theme (just the theme without transitions)
- Black Plastic Custom Transitions (just the transitions.ini file for the theme)
I think that'd be the best thing to do, you could also include the nature of the transition (e.g quick, slow) in the parenthesis instead of the the theme it's related to, or perhaps both.

Originally Posted by MSHAH View Post
I think that'd be the best thing to do, you could also include the nature of the transition (e.g quick, slow) in the parenthesis instead of the the theme it's related to, or perhaps both.
Well sure, but it would not overwrite your system's transitions and would only be active with the "parent" theme.

The Following User Says Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post: