Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
N9 was good for <1% of the population (geeks, open source enthusiasts or whatever)
I guess my 65 year old father goes then "or whatever" category, since geek he is in no way, but not either open source enthuasiast. Basically he is machine oriented, but hates computers. Still, I recommended him N9, and after sorting out language problem (he don't have skills for English and for some reason the phone first started using English), and giving some usage tips, he has used the phone quite happily.

The phone notified about firmware upgrade, and he managed to do it without issues. The phone went straight from PR 1.0 to PR 1.3.

He even managed to transfer his contacts via bluetooth from his old S60 phone. Something that looked to be pain in the a** with Lumia when my co-worked told about his experiences (went from S60 to Lumia) and it wasn't possible without company's exchange server.

After couple of days, I texted and asked if dad had any issues with the phone or other things that needs to be solved. He answered: "Hi! No issues, but something to wonder yes... how could Nokia abandon as great phone as this? I have been downloading software from Ovi store, arranged the menus etc. Yesterday I tested the navigation. - - ".

He even replaced the Accuweather applet with Meecast to get weather data in Finnish (I have no clue where he got the idea to do that), and configured it to be visible stand by screen.

So sorry, I have pretty hard time to believe N9 wasn't ready for masses.

Jolla buy jolla.com domain for $50,000

http://www.domainnews.com/en/top-15-...july-2012.html

i am looking at their history and trying to predict where will it go. company depends on people and ability to execute. ideas are like *******s, everyone has one. and i am not confident that these Nokia bred individuals have the stuff to take on the Silicon Valley
Microsoft has had a mobile OS for 10 years now, and how much market share do they have?

Compare Nokia's market share in the last 10 years. Clearly Nokia can create far better things than Microsoft

Enough said

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Can we install Mer and active plasma on our N9's?
yes.

afaik there's not prebuild images for it so you'll either have to make your own custom .ks and build an image from it (I'd suggest basing it on nemo's .ks files) or install nemo and add needed repos and make the changes on the device. this is what I did with meego ce/plasma on n900 when doing it for the first time.

Unfortunately I don't have any step by step instructions to offer. Happy hacking.

ps. the video on the blog post is about year old so things have changed..

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by dietyyli View Post
Jolla buy jolla.com domain for $50,000

http://www.domainnews.com/en/top-15-...july-2012.html

how do you know it's the right jolla?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I'm sure it isn't the right jolla. The parked page is the Spanish Jolla

Edit: I'm corrected by the post below...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-08-06 at 11:17.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
how do you know it's the right jolla?
Because of this:

Domain name: JOLLA.COM Registrant Contact: Stefano Mosconi () Fax: Hiilikatu 3 Helsinki, HELSINKI 00180 FI
Stefano Mosconi is the CIO at Jolla: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stezz

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
It depends on the SoC they're using, as some HW vendors are glacially slow in terms of releasing new kernels for their boards (NVIDIAAAAAAAA!), while some are better than others (TI) in keeping up with recent kernels.

(Speaking of which, I heard there's a mythical 3.0 patch series for RX-51 board support.)

The way things look, the ex-Nokia team is probably going to keep using TI OMAPs in their devices. Let's just hope they don't include stupid amounts of closed core components such as DSME, BME, libcal and the like.
I am sure alot will continue be closed. And about OMAP I doubt... I dont like Intels x86 arch but I think that is the way they will o. I said before that is risky for such small company but in same time:

1. Intel may have big intrest to "sponsor them
2. Jolla small player lower volumes means Texas and others has no intrests and hard for jolla to get chips cause of lowvolumes

intel in other side can use jolla as hmm "betatesters" of theyr mobile platform?

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-08-06 at 12:52.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Dared View Post
Microsoft has had a mobile OS for 10 years now, and how much market share do they have?

Compare Nokia's market share in the last 10 years. Clearly Nokia can create far better things than Microsoft

Enough said
I think you are still living in the past!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Damnramos, Out of all the Stalinist and McCathy supporters here, I salute your appreciation of freedom to express opinion. With regards to offering answers to my questions, you are completely off the mark and ramble in 20 different disconnected directions.
Jane, you ignorant slut.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla