Hey all

When we will start writing in vertical position

cuz the Horizontal is so so so so so so so so so SUCK

?????

Portrait Mode will never be available for Maemo 5.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
looks like someone didnt do their research! this phone/tablet/computer, or whatever you wish to call it, has been known a long time that it doesnt support portrait mode.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by m165 View Post
looks like someone didnt do their research! this phone/tablet/computer, or whatever you wish to call it, has been known a long time that it doesnt support portrait mode.
really? so the dialling pad i keep seeing in portrait mode is a hallucination on my behalf? all i want is a similair dialling pad but with letters too, and predictive text, so i can rattle off a quick one handed text when need be. there are many things that will never happen, i see no reason why this should be one of them.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Do you ever feel the need to flip your laptop vertically?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to IsaacDFP For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Do you ever feel the need to flip your laptop vertically?
My Laptop does not fit in the palm of my one hand.
My Laptop does not have a 3g chip.
My Laptop does not send sms.
However,
My laptop runs windows 7 and Ubuntu.
My Laptop is C2D with 4GB ram.

My n900 is not as strong as my laptop. My n900 cannot be compared to my laptop, nor can it replace my laptop.

My n900 does not type vertically, cause a decision was made to not invest in this option in the current release of its operating system.

You can excuse the decision, but it does not matter. Many people will still ask for it. Because it is a logical request.

It's either a phone or a tablet. you wanna mix them, then people will expect you to do a good job on both sides.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
superb! what an answer!

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
My n900 does not type vertically, cause a decision was made to not invest in this option in the current release of its operating system.
Actually this nothing to do with the operating system, it is perfectly agnostic to this, the item in question would be the phone application.

You can excuse the decision, but it does not matter. Many people will still ask for it. Because it is a logical request.
Logic often has little to do with requests for features, it is a desire to satisfy a functional solution. In your situation the use case would be useful to you.

It's either a phone or a tablet. you wanna mix them, then people will expect you to do a good job on both sides.
The N900 is a 'talet like device' that is capable of making phone calls. Many laptops have the ability to utilise a sim card to make a cellular connection rather than plug in a usb cellular modem.

Just because it can make calls doesn't make the device specifically a phone any more than the introduction of fax protocols on computers made them a fax machine.

The N900 is a work in progress and was billed as suitable for developers and early adopters. If you didn't realise that meant it wasn't a device that was 'appliance ready' then that would explain your disappointment.

If portrait mode texting was such an important requirement how come you didn't realise this when you played with the device before you bought it? (Surely you didn't just buy it sight unseen?) You are also free to impliment your own solution too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Portrait Mode will never be available for Maemo 5.
This comes from the same guy that understands it will never be available? Btw, there are laptops that fit in one hand and in a jacket pocket, yes there are laptops using 3G chips AND can send txt msgs, just because yours doesn't, means that none do, I don't see the point. My point was that this is NOT a phone. It's an Internet Tablet *capable* of making calls. If you wanted to text vertically, maybe you should've got a cellphone. I don't care how many people whine about this lack of feature, those people represent the minority. The way I see it, the N900 was never meant to be able to send a quick txt msg. Perhaps you should save a couple of pre-written sms template, or wait until you can use both hands to type. If urgent then make a call instead.

hahaha Fargus, you beat me to the reply :P

Tags
fargus vs corso85 part1, nothing to see here