Poll: Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.
Poll Options
Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
When you started that thread Nokia was still developing Maemo and now the situation is different in that Nokia have now OFFICIALLY abandoned Maemo.

Lets see what can happen now regardless of thoughts of a no go.
my post was right after the meego announcement so i would say the abandonment of poor maemo was pretty official at that time

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
That quote below is a big WTF.

Ppl here have already reverse engineered parts of Maemo without Nokia approval - its a pain but has been done - Nokia doesnt give a flying fvck now.

No wonder so many ppl add you to their ignore lists.

Problem with that is the community cannot be seen to be reverse engineering Nokia software, it is not right and has to be done with the approval of Nokia to be successful BUT i agree with everything you said !.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
my post was right after the meego announcement so i would say the abandonment of poor maemo was pretty official at that time
After your thread we had the last Maemo update from Nokia on the 25th August 2010.

You had a good idea and i fully agree with that thread of yours 100%, it needs to happen it has to happen if we are to see proper further development.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
That quote below is a big WTF.

Ppl here have already reverse engineered parts of Maemo without Nokia approval - its a pain but has been done - Nokia doesnt give a flying fvck now.

No wonder so many ppl add you to their ignore lists.
You do not seem to see the point, a community can be folded if it is seen doing things illegally so regardless of this situation what we need to happen is development in the RIGHT way with the blessings of Nokia behind that development.

Nobody knows better that reverse engineering can land you in court as i have been there and done that in my past history as a development engineer.

Please refrain from flaming remarks.

Reverse engineering is not illegal. It's done all the time. Otherwise nVidia would have pursued something after the Nouveau project.

Same with the Samba guys, and so many other different Open Source projects.

Heck even something like Open office could be considered having some sort of 'reverse engineering' because they support Microsoft's formats.

Now if you go into some place and bonk someone over the head or send hookers and blow to them to bribe the original engineers to give you details then build a like product, that's illegal.

I say Hookers and blow for all!

slaapliedje

Edit: For the record. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse...inary_software

Last edited by slaapliedje; 2011-05-25 at 02:34.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
With the Source then CSSU team and others could release Maemo 5.5, eh?
Voted yes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maruzko For This Useful Post:
When you started that thread Nokia was still developing Maemo and now the situation is different in that Nokia have now OFFICIALLY abandoned Maemo.

Lets see what can happen now regardless of thoughts of a no go.
No, seriously, are you THAT DUMB? Stop spewing up crap in order to make your other crap sound sensible, its not working.

Moderator note: DANEEL, chill. No personal attacks.

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-05-25 at 18:02.

In the history of the internet, a petition has never accomplished anything,

ever.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to anonymous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Nokia has not fully abandoned Maemo, yet. Arn't we still expecting to get the offically released PR 1.4? This was never canceled, was it?

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Nokia has not fully abandoned Maemo, yet. Arn't we still expecting to get the offically released PR 1.4? This was never canceled, was it?
You must be joking. You're right that PR 1.4 was never cancelled.
Neither was PR 1.2899.

Nokia will never release the closed portions of the Maemo 5 code because:

1) They have no legal obligation to do so.

2) Releasing the code might expose them to legal risks. If they release the battery charging code, and one of us makes a mangled version that causes the phone to catch fire, who's gonna get sued?

3) They might think that the code contains valuable intellectual property, which they would lose control of were the code open sourced.

4) They are in the business of selling new phones to us, not helping us keep our existing phones running for the longest possible time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
current, daddys ketchup, flog dead horse, give him, just shoot me, must not say no, no argue ok, play nice, situation, yes or highway