Notices

Alright,
I added two more options for the display.
To change the display simply push on it.
I attached screenshots of all three options currently available.
This version (0.4.0) just made it out of the autobuilder and should be available in extras-devel soon.
Attached Images

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Whoa, cool app, this could be really useful!

Is it optified?

Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Is it optified?
Sure

By the way, the executable is about 43 kB in size.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
I was just trying it, seems to work pretty well, although it's rather CPU-intensive.

I'll compare it to another meter I have at home and see how the readings match up.

The Following User Says Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
... although it's rather CPU-intensive.
You're correct, I observed this as well.
I am currently investigating this issue and already have a version which reduces the CPU utilization by a factor of about two to four, depending on the selected widget.
Though, this version does not reach the image quality of the current "stable" version (0.4.0) yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Alright,
version 0.5.0 just made it through the autobuilder.
This version is the first to make use of the optimized widget rendering which should significantly reduce the CPU usage.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Ah yes the new one is much better. The virtual analog gauge and the bar gauge both show 2-3 bars of CPU usage with load-applet and the graph pushes it to 3, where on the old one the virtual analog gauge and bar gauge used 3-4 bars and the graph maxed out the CPU usage.

A feature request:
When sound level over some configurable time frame exceeds some configurable limit, application will alarm and/or optionally will run configurable system command (can be anything which can be run on a CLI)

Later also some kind of configurable smoothing value would be good. (See SleepAnalyser-application)

Maybe even dbus-interface so SleepAnalyser could later use VU-Meter to record also sound levels during the sleep.

Example usage case 1, if someone has problem with snoring, the application can alert to change position when this happens.
Snoring is known to cause sleep deprivation to snorers and those around them, as well as daytime drowsiness, irritability, lack of focus and decreased libido.
Example usage case 2:
Burglary-alarm.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
A feature request:
When sound level over some configurable time frame exceeds some configurable limit, application will alarm and/or optionally will run configurable system command (can be anything which can be run on a CLI)
Well, it seems like, "executing 'foo' on volume level 'bar'" is a popular demand.
I uploaded version 0.6.1 to extras-devel which implements a very simple "trigger command x on reaching volume y" feature.

To enable this feature open the settings dialog via the menu, set a "Trigger Value" bigger than 0, and enter a "Trigger Command" which shall be executed.
Of course too small values for trigger value actually do not make any sense as this yields in some kind of infinite execution.
For a start you can test this feature e.g. by setting a "command" like:
Code:
/bin/sh -c "echo 'foo' >> /home/user/bar.txt"
A trigger value of 0 disables the execution feature.
If you set values higher than 0 a dark yellow line will indicate the current setting in the GUI.

A current issue is that the scale of the horizontal bar widget seems not to be scaled correctly.

Last edited by Wonko; 2010-12-08 at 00:35.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I also noticed that this works in portrait mode just fine now. You have to manually enable the rotation, but every display version is resized and placed at the top of the screen in portrait mode. A bit odd looking, but I like it. I say in the next version, creating a setting to allow portrait mode auto-rotate to be on or off by default would be great. I think it's ready for that at this point (and I advocate making it a configurable setting because I'm sure there's always people who'd like either choice, instead of being pushed into the other one..).

That said, I just want to say this is a great program, and it's always wonderful to see developers who are still making new programs, and especially when you stay active and communicate with the users, and are responsive to requests.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: