Notices

Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
Have you found it? I got the category wrong... it may be easier searching for the name (geeps).
Yup, found it now, thanks. Just finished installing.

Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
Agreed. Didn't know about the "while charging" thing - sounds almost like a joke.
Maybe that explains all the little WTF aspects of the n900. They're just Nokia's little jokes to keep us amused while they work on making the real thing.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
In their infinite wisdom, Nokia decided that the screen only stays on "while charging", not while plugged in, but full battery, so not actually "charging".
That's with no doubt, the funniest and most true observation iv'e seen on TMO
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philly
Just downloaded the package. I think this is the best map app on N900 for my purpose so far. I would also vote for adding support for traffic layer (not traffic avoidance in direction, just view traffic info on current view) and ability to browse the map by swiping fingers rather than the four arrows. I think these two feature would make this app a winner for me

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Monterrey Mexico
Looks grate I`ll try it , is there any chance to have some offline support like , export the driving indications or somthing like that?

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Having google maps is great. I was using maps on my hero earlier, just messing around, and i love how easy it is, tapping somewhere brings up 'search places' (it even lists my business ) and street view etc. Any chance of these being implemented soon? Places especially would be great

Also, it's showing sao paulo. I have set position update every second but it's not even in my country let alone my road. Is there a reason for this?

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Hi,

Great front-end, and some requests:

- Big cache for offline browsing I don't know if you could download all gmaps for later view?
- Search place. A simple search interface for zooming into particular place.
- World view. Again a simple button to zoom out the lowest level to see the world map. It takes so many rocker action to go to the top level.
- A quick "f" key-toggle to switch between fullscreen mode.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Maybe you can use/share the SQLlite storage being introduced now in Modrana for caching ? I think he also supports Google Map tiles now.
I don't know if the DB scheme supports Google Maps tiles in different forms though (Satellite, Hybrid, Road Maps and Terrain). And what to do with the Traffic layer ... ?

But anyway looking already very nice and big potential. No streetview in mind yet ? ...

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I'd rather it not cache too much. That's why I prefer not to use some of the other solutions. I'd rather not have a large directory/database full of map images taking up space.

There's already several apps that cache data, I like that this one is quick and easy and current. (No messing with zoom levels, auto downloading, data sources, etc)

If multiple programs are sharing the same map tiles, which one decides how much space to use? Which one decides which data to keep when purging data?

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Having google maps is great. I was using maps on my hero earlier, just messing around, and i love how easy it is, tapping somewhere brings up 'search places' (it even lists my business ) and street view etc. Any chance of these being implemented soon? Places especially would be great

Also, it's showing sao paulo. I have set position update every second but it's not even in my country let alone my road. Is there a reason for this?
Searching places (using the google places api) depends on google giving me the green light. Sao Paulo... I had to start somewhere... It probably makes sense to have start on your last known position though...

Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Hi,

Great front-end, and some requests:

- Big cache for offline browsing I don't know if you could download all gmaps for later view?
- Search place. A simple search interface for zooming into particular place.
- World view. Again a simple button to zoom out the lowest level to see the world map. It takes so many rocker action to go to the top level.
- A quick "f" key-toggle to switch between fullscreen mode.
I didn't set any limits for the cache...not sure if there are any ... will check later... I like the other ideas...

Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
Maybe you can use/share the SQLlite storage being introduced now in Modrana for caching ? I think he also supports Google Map tiles now.
I don't know if the DB scheme supports Google Maps tiles in different forms though (Satellite, Hybrid, Road Maps and Terrain). And what to do with the Traffic layer ... ?

But anyway looking already very nice and big potential. No streetview in mind yet ? ...
I don't actually deal with the "tiles" directly. It is all google. I tried to enable all the "cache" options on webkit so "google" can make the best use of it. I could read some of the information from modrana but "geeps" is pretty useless without internet. Maybe the POI database makes sense.

Actually, I don't need to do anything to implement street view... just allow "google maps" to show the button.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I'd rather it not cache too much. That's why I prefer not to use some of the other solutions. I'd rather not have a large directory/database full of map images taking up space.

There's already several apps that cache data, I like that this one is quick and easy and current. (No messing with zoom levels, auto downloading, data sources, etc)

If multiple programs are sharing the same map tiles, which one decides how much space to use? Which one decides which data to keep when purging data?
I have enabled all the "webkit" caching options I could find so it should probably work similar to google maps on any other browser... If we find out that the cache is growing too much (I doubt) we can set some limits (there may be some already by default that I may have to change).

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

The Following User Says Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post: