Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
I have checked bugs and found this: #12036
I have checked talk and I found this: Help - E-mail Widget Gone

As you can see I tried to get help at both locations but I guess Buglist is not the right place and the older thread might have been too old to get notice. So I, by this, start a new thread hoping to find some answer or at least get some advice about the procedures getting help

As I installed CSSU for the first time last week (2maemo15) I noticed the same problem with the modest-home-applet widget being gone.

I don't know how to find out what else has been uninstalled when installing the CSSU. Is there a copy of the install messages anywhere on the phone? I would like to find out what might have mentioned while updating to CSSU. HAM Log seems to be empty as of now.

I did a "dpkg -l|grep ^rc >" to a file which lead to a rather short list of rc-marked components:

Code:
rc  cherry                       0.25-1+0m5       Cherry for MyNokia
rc  libtheora0                   1.1beta3.tk1     The Theora Video Compression Codec
rc  libvorbisenc2                1.2.3.tk1        The Vorbis General Audio Compression Codec
rc  microb-geolocation           1.1.5-6+0m5      MicroB GeoLocation provider extension
rc  osso-startup-wizard          2.3.99-85+0m5    Startup Wizard
rc  rtcom-accounts-voip-support  4.140-1+0m5      Enables VoIP support
rc  tracker-extractor-vorbis     0.1-2maemo2      Add vorbis format metadata extraction in tracker
Which of these happen to be actually needed an not remnants of my own doing? I would guess libtheora0, libvorbisenc2 and tracker-extractor-vorbis might be rc due to installing Ogg Support 1.1.1? What about the others?
The desktop widget is not in the list as I already "apt-get --reinstall" it.

Last edited by Amboss; 2011-08-01 at 22:14.

Anyone please?

Is my question not clear enough?

Just a follow up if anyone is interested.

Cherry: Not needed
As I have never been interested in that service anyway: No reinstall.

microb-geolocation: optional
I might need it with microB. Since it doesn't harm and has not been removed on purpose: Reinstalled.

osso-startup-wizard: optional
Helps with setup stuff like language and datetime. Since I won't change that anymore, I don't need it at the moment. Besides I won't get bugged by it, when restarting after having batteries removed: No reinstall

rtcom-accounts-voip-support: Needed
My SIP account wouldn't work without: Reinstall.

libtheora0, libvorbisenc2 and tracker-extractor-vorbis: unsure
Still no idea, If they are removed by update Ogg Support 1.1.1. If so I might not need them.

btw: the modest-home-applet disappeared once more a few days after the first incident. Had to reinstall again. I am almost certain that I didn't install any other software in between those.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Not sure if I can help you. I have experienced a "similar" issue with the ttf-droid package (or whatever its name is, the one with the android font).

Every now and then apt-get or FAM will warn me that they intend to remove the package (HAM does it without telling me first).

Seems like since no package depends on it, they think I don't want/need it (even though I have repeatedly and explicitly installed it myself, not merely as a dependency).

I know there is a way to lock a package, but that solution seems "dirty" to me.

[FLAME ON] I really wish Nokia had used Slackware as a basis for the N900. I love my N900, but I hate all things Debian-ish. [FLAME OFF, I'm really sorry].

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Just an update.
Ok, this time (all the 16.5 and above) modest-home-applet stayed.

I noticed there is a
maemo-geolocation 1.1.3-1
on the Extras.
Whats the difference to the one which keeps getting removed with CSSU updates:
microb-geolocation 1.1.5-6+0m5?

btw: I pinned rtcom-accounts-voip-support with priority 500 since it is getting removed with CSSU updates. Without it I noticed I am able to log in to my Router (=providing SIP on my regular phoneline) but all calls in our out get instantly cancelled.