Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
According to the rules nominations need to be posted to maemo-community@maemo.org in order to count.
I have already sent my nomination, though I haven't received any answer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
I nominate woody14619, estel, geneven and SD69.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
I nominate woody14619, estel, geneven and SD69.
Please do it on the mailing list or wherever is the appropriate place nominations to be done. Otherwise it won't work.

BTW, why you did not nominate yourself? Too lazy or what?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I have already sent my nomination, though I haven't received any answer.
It doesn't appear to have made it to the list so far, though other messages from you have. You may have to re-send.

Nominating yourself on the list is enough, no answer required.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It doesn't appear to have made it to the list so far, though other messages from you have. You may have to re-send.

Nominating yourself on the list is enough, no answer required.
Resent.

10chars

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Please do it on the mailing list or wherever is the appropriate place nominations to be done. Otherwise it won't work.

BTW, why you did not nominate yourself? Too lazy or what?
I literally do not have time. That combined with my utter contempt for Nokia means I will be a less than 'productive' Councillor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Sure, Matti Airas doesn't seem to be involved in the community as much as Quim was. But that's because the community - unfortunately - is more stable, and he hasn't got the history in building it that Quim did. But that's where the council comes in: help rather than confront; communicate instead of stifle; empower rather than moan.
The difference in my involvement compared to Quim's has been to a large degree due to differences how the project was set up back in Quim's good ole' days and now. It was announced late 2010 by Tero Kojo and the council that Nemein take over the practical matters and the infrastructure, and according to the agreement, Nokia has no direct say on matters related to maemo.org. With a very hands-on approach I would have only muddled the share of responsibilities.

As for the co-operation with the council, I believe have been participating in every council meeting I have been invited to. I have tried quite a bit to encourage the current council (with only one active member) to look forward and work in directions I regarded would be in the best interest of the whole community, but the response was less than enthusiastic. The investment Nokia is continuously making in Maemo.org is quite substantial and if the current council would have gotten their will through by cutting the ties to Nokia altogether, I am 100% conviced that the community would've died the instant Nokia would have cancelled the contracts. That was obviously a path I was not prepared to take, and this has been a major contributor to the stalemate of late.

There has been some deep paranoia about Nokia's attitudes towards Maemo.org lately. I must vouch that it has been unfounded all the time. Unfortunately, due to the internal situation here, I haven't been able to alleviate the concerns with any statements or promises. Luckily, the situation is now quite a bit clearer, and together with Quim taking over, I believe the worst is over.

What I hope to see is that there would be plenty of nominations for people who would be interested and able to co-operate with Quim to move Maemo.org forward in directions that would best benefit the community around Nokia's Maemo- and Qt-based devices!

Cheers,

ma.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to mairas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
have You linked Your TMO account to garage page? It seems to me, that You should have enough karma just by thanks&posts.
For reference, the wiki page is Link talk.maemo.org account with maemo.org profile.

In previous elections, the Council has gone to the effort of identifying eligible, but unlinked, TMO accounts and included them in the voter list. This is non-trivial work, and involves liaising with Reggie and whomever is running the election.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Wise words. Some part [...] ...are much more easy to say than do - from my point of view, Matti Airas lately isn't involved *at all*, so it's quite hard to communicate, empower, etc, when You don't have partner to do so.
However, there is still communication and empowerment that can be done within the community.

It's also not yet been posted in this thread, but Quim has resumed the position of Nokia's Maemo Community Manager.

if elected- I would like to [...]
Why do you need to wait to be elected? Help shine light on things, help the Council coordinate/minute/communicate meetings, help moderate the tone of all parties...

try every possible way of "straightening" Community/Nokia relations, and, if that fail, part ways without hostility from either side. I must add, that I don't consider second option is a loss in any way
I'm afraid I do. Having someone contracted, and paid, to maintain the servers (even if they haven't been responsive to out-of-band requests recently) is not an insignificant task.

To be clear, again, I do not think the long-running "Ask the Council" thread is where brainstorming should be happening. It was intended for one off questions, or to point the council at a different thread (possibly on a different medium). Wide-ranging discussions should be being held on their own thread, and highlighted so that people who don't review all threads on TMO regularly can participate.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Why do you need to wait to be elected? Help shine light on things, help the Council coordinate/minute/communicate meetings, help moderate the tone of all parties....
Estel has been helping quite a bit. Over the course of the last six months, more boots on the ground work than you have actually...

To be clear, again, I do not think the long-running "Ask the Council" thread is where brainstorming should be happening. It was intended for one off questions, or to point the council at a different thread (possibly on a different medium). Wide-ranging discussions should be being held on their own thread, and highlighted so that people who don't review all threads on TMO regularly can participate.
I agree with this.

Those of us who are working on maemo are a small group but we know the status of the community and what each of us are about. You and others are now popping up demanding links, and explanation, claiming you're being ignored if you don't get prompt answers, etc. Please take the time to reacquaint yourself with what has been going on. Ask questions, sure, but please be patient.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down