I made the leap and updated to PR1.3 OTA, and noticed some issues.

Some of them seem rather localized to certain apps or subsystems, and I wonder if some could be downgraded?

Notably, the MfE sync not setting alarms any more (there is a thread on this topic)

Is there some way to know what library/package/component that is, and downgrade that to the 1.2 version of it?

Secondly, I'm having an odd issue with WiFi... WiFi itself works great, but if I try either of
a) JoinkuSpot
b) Mobile Hotspo
c) A script that sets up an ad-hoc networking on the phone
...neither of them work, notably, the DHCP is not giving out the right IP. The phone logs that it is handing out some IP, but the device actually gets some other totally different IP, and hence doesn't connect properly.

I guess the latter (wifi) problem is caused by me running kernel-power (1.2?) on top of PR1.3... or something?

I don't want to totally reflash (too much custom crap done) and not a fan of the idea of downgrading completely to 1.2 since 1.3 brings several lovely fixes (like mail client speed and pulsaudio stuttering fixes)

Any help appreciated

/Z

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Well i now know 2 people who have joijku working after emailing joikupspot to fix it (other than me) - so i'd try that.

Ad-hoc is working fine for me, albeit i dont use it often

edit - i have kernel power too
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Yeah it's so odd that all 3 ways of connecting from other device (tested both iPad and laptop) to the n900's wifi gives completely broken IP's over DHCP after the PR1.3 update. Odd.

/Z

The Following User Says Thank You to MasterZap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
did you flash the emmc as well? worth a try, then a reflash of 1.3 :0 - not heard of many problems after that
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
did you flash the emmc as well? worth a try, then a reflash of 1.3 :0 - not heard of many problems after that
Yeah! Try to flash the emmc with the vanilla image first and then flash the phone.

Ps: don't put the "-r" at the end of the emmc flash command line so that the phone won't reboot. just unplug the battery and plug it again, then flash the OS.
I hope it will help you! I don't have any problem with the new firmware.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
WIth the amount of tinkering I've done to my phone, I am *super reluctant* to reflash it. I have little event scripts everywhere, and I don't want to lose them... my phone
- when connected to my home WLan, automatically goes into silent between 22.00 and 08.00
- registers itself with dyndns.org to give it public IP
- has scripts to properly recognize and install my bluetooth keyboard on connect
- has highly modified html/css/js for my messaging UI
- is overclocked and tuned to heck w. swappiness et. al
- has many rootfs-saving optifications I lovingly did myself
- pulseaudio policy changes so that it allows the programs I want to make sounds even in silent mode (QTify, for example)
- etc. etc.
- probably 50 things I forgot (and a reflash would cause me to lose)

Reflashing it completely would feel like lobotomy, and is like the last resort I would ever try.

So.

To my original question; anyone know how to downgrade whatever-it-is-that-syncs-with-MfE to get my alerts back?

/Z

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by MasterZap View Post
Reflashing it completely would feel like lobotomy, and is like the last resort I would ever try.

/Z
You do realize that amount of tweaking what you have done is IMO regarded as launch to reflash. Maybe tomorrow, maybe year after Who knows but IMO fact is that you should be scared always that shait hits the fan and you got lobotomy as only choice.

So remember to also do timed backups

Do a complete reflash! If you've been installing apps from extras-devel or testing or even extras, then you need to do a full flash.

There's no way to know whether an app you have installed has left some stray files/configs thats having a weird effect on it.

Flash rootfs and emmc!