Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So UK will allow an non elected PM in office for 4 years

That made my day.

I need some British food and drinks to celebrate that achievement.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-07-11 at 20:33.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I am not familiar with the lunar political system, but here in the UK you do not vote for the PM. You vote for your MP. The party with the most elected MPs choses the PM. It is usually the party leader. The current situation follows the protocol to the letter.

The 4 years part sounds a bit iffy but, believe it or not, it is also by the rules. There is no fixed schedule for general elections. The current ruling government decides when the next election is going to be.

This is what you get in a country without a written.constitution

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I am not familiar with the lunar political system, but here in the UK you do not vote for the PM. You vote for your MP. The party with the most elected MPs choses the PM. It is usually the party leader. The current situation follows the protocol to the letter.

The 4 years part sounds a bit iffy but, believe it or not, it is also by the rules. There is no fixed schedule for general elections. The current ruling government decides when the next election is going to be.

Pretty much similar thing here in Finland, with one major difference.
We do have mandatory general election every four years. I really don't understand how can you have a non-mandatory schedule in UK and still call it a democratic process? What if the ruling party just refuses to hold any more elections, ever?

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What if the ruling party just refuses to hold any more elections, ever?
Already answered here:

This is what you get in a country without a written constitution

As a Bloody Foreigner™, I also find it a bit... to put it mildly... unusual. But I have some native friends who swear that it is the best system in the known universe and surrounding villages.

The British legal system and, in extension, life in general, is very much based on the idea of the precedent. In other words, "it is how it is because it's always been that way". That mentality is deeply ingrained in the national psyche and is probably at least part of the reason 52% of the population feel the distance from other countries, with their "it is how it is because the rules say so" mentality. They don't see the reason to have rules: just keep doing what we have always been doing and we will be OK. The ruling party refusing to call an election? Shock, horror, unthinkable! It has never happened before, why should it happen now?

BTW when I say life in general, I really mean it. My favourite example is that the Brits put two separate taps for hot and cold water even in new installations. Why? Because it's always been that way

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The queen will pull a rabbit out of her hat and appoint...Tony blair as PM. Stranger things has happend.

When Gordon Brown took over the reins from Tony Blair in 2007, Mrs May said “he has no democratic mandate”.

As long as UK people thinks it's ok I guess it's ok. So it's ok. Mkey.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-07-12 at 17:50.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
BTW when I say life in general, I really mean it. My favourite example is that the Brits put two separate taps for hot and cold water even in new installations. Why? Because it's always been that way
Here's our US version of that:
Name:  dscf0651.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  36.8 KB

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Attachment 38477
I totally lol'd

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Attachment 38477
Please don't do that to me. My colleagues looked at me strange when all my tea went all over the keyboard.

Of course, the Americans do not take any half measures. When you do something, you do it BIG!

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Don' see any countdowns going on. How about 17 days to go....

..... There is no fixed schedule for general elections. The current ruling government decides when the next election is going to be.

Just leaving this here:

"The Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 (c. 14) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that introduced fixed-term elections to the Westminster parliament."

"The next general election in the United Kingdom is scheduled to be held on Thursday 7 May 2020"

"it may be held at an earlier date in the event of a vote of no confidence or other exceptional circumstances."

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson