Notices

Is there a way to play my camcorder AVI or MOV Video Files correctly on N800?
I have the videos on a SDHC card.
Using MPlayer it shows the video in still frames then jerks to the the next frame with no sound.
Media player shows the AVI files but says file format not supported.

Do I need to convert them to a different format and if so what software do I use and what format do I convert to?

you probably need to convert them. The n800 may not have the power to play your file.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
If you have these movie files also on your computer, could you right click on it and give a summary of it's properties?

Ex., height, width, bit rate,... junk like that.

I do have them on my computer and when I right click on them and click properties I don't see height, width, bit rate etc. All it tells me is the Size:133 MB (140,347,500 bytes)

I am also having trouble playing them in VLC media player and Windows media player. They are showing still frames then jerking to the next frame. The sound is there. Any suggestions there?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by katkat View Post
I am also having trouble playing them in VLC media player and Windows media player. Any suggestions there?
You might try installing GSpot and using it to investigate the files. It should provide information on what codec has been used for the video and may help you find what you need to install on your PC in order to play the files.

Also, you'll be able to post the codec information here, which will help in determining if you'll be able to play the files on your N800, and if so, how.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I downloaded GSpot and ran it.
It says under Video:
Coded: H264
Name: H.264/MPEG-4AVC

Audio:
Codec: 0x00ff(AAC)
Info: 4800Hz 128kb/s tot(2 chnls)
Stat:Codecs Installed.

Container:
File Length Correct
OpenDML (AVI v2.0)
Video: 131 MB
Audio:2.09 MB
AVI Overhead 210KB

Under Proposed Codec Solutions and Test :
GSpot Vid: It tells me to use [2] to render.
When I click on [2] the program closed.

I reopened it and put same video file in and under Aud: it showed the same message use[2]. After clicking on [2] I get a error message and it tells me to use[3] to play. The sound seems fine for part of the video then it goes silent..

I opened the video in Windows Media Player and it is playing better but not at the correct speed. It is still a little slow. The video is of a basketball game.

I opened it in VLC player and the sound is ok but the video is still still frames advancing with garbled video then a clear still frame then garbled video and another clear still frame again.

I have over thirty six of these short AVI files I am having trouble playing. This is only the info on one file.

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Download a great free converter utility for your PC called "super". Its a Windows gui shell for some command line utilities and can convert any audio or video format to any other.

Just google "super converter" or go to www.erightsoft.com

I use to convert my videos to fit perfectly on my N900 screen. I can also reduce framerates if desired to improve fluidity or reduce the filesize. Set your desired settings, then drag and drop multiple files to convert. Works a treat.

For N900 video, I use output of MP4, H264/AVC video at 720:480 resolution, 25 fps with AAC LC audio. Full movies come out at around 600Mb but the screen is pixel perfect.

Last edited by JohnLF; 2010-03-01 at 23:48. Reason: Clarification of "super" being a PC program

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
I have a N800 is this going to work on it?

When I go to the link you provided for Super and go to download it takes me to a download for AVS Video Converter. Is this the right download?

Also there seem to be a lot of things I would need to know to use this software that I have no clue about. Maybe it's just me but it looks complicated. I need something simple and easy.

Last edited by katkat; 2010-03-02 at 21:42.

SUPER for some reason makes it a maze to just find the download link to their software. Go to filehippo.com and search "super". Filehippo is just a site that host freeware apps. The website is simple and fast and doesn't make you jump through hoops to download. Good luck.

The software is quite simple. Everything is built in. Install. Run software. "right-click" and select your files. GO to OUTPUT and choose which device you have. They have a BIG list of devices. You don't need to have your device list, just a device with similar capability. There are alot of setting but you can just leave them alone. They are there are advance users who wants to control all the settings. Hope this help.

As for the stuttering of your movie in your computer, it's because you don't have the proper software to view it. I usually install FFDSHOW or K-Lite codec and it will help you to play the majority of online movies. You can find both of these at filehippo.com. FFDSHOW is probably simpler to use. Just install and forget about it.

Last edited by azz; 2010-03-02 at 22:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to azz For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info about the the Super site. It did keep taking me to different pages and was a bit confusing.
My AVI files are movies I made with a camcorder. FFDSHOW is installed on my computer already.

Last edited by katkat; 2010-03-02 at 23:37.