Recently I fetched my old N900 from some drawer having the idea of giving it a new life as a SMS-gateway.

Sending SMS with a script is easy. Setting up a reverse ssh tunnel also no problem.

But I want to keep this ssh tunnel alive. Having used autossh in another project for this reason I tried to get it to the n900. Downloaded latest autossh-1.4g to the device. Installed gcc-4.2.
But unfortunately running ./configure gives me an error. Not an expert with compilers. Following the portion of config.log where it breaks. Any ideas?

## ----------- ##
## Core tests. ##
## ----------- ##

configure:1363: checking for gcc
configure:1379: found /usr/bin/gcc
configure:1389: result: gcc
configure:1633: checking for C compiler version
configure:1636: gcc --version </dev/null >&5
gcc (GCC) 4.2.1
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

configure:1639: $? = 0
configure:1641: gcc -v </dev/null >&5
Using built-in specs.
Target: arm-linux-gnueabi
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2 --program-suffix=-4.2 --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --disable-libssp --disable-sjlj-exceptions --disable-multilib --enable-checking=release --build=arm-linux-gnueabi --host=arm-linux-gnueabi --target=arm-linux-gnueabi
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.2.1
configure:1644: $? = 0
configure:1646: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:1649: $? = 1
configure:1672: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:1675: gcc conftest.c >&5
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:1678: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h. */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "autossh"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "autossh"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.4"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "autossh 1.4"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "Carson Harding <harding@motd.ca>"
| /* end confdefs.h. */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
| ;
| return 0;
| }
configure:1717: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

The Following User Says Thank You to stephan0h For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
If all you want to do is set up an SMS gateway, you may want to try Maemo Leste. It's still in pre-alpha but networking works fine (both wireless and USB), and I understand that SMS is also working (although there's no GUI yet). It's based on Debian/Devuan which means that AutoSSH is already in the repositories so you would just need to apt-get install it.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Interesting. Leste is a complete distribution then? But I tend to have the feeling this might be a slight overkill for my problem ...
How much of an effort ist it, to install this? And would my python script to send SMS still work?

Last edited by stephan0h; 2019-02-08 at 19:32.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Yes, Maemo Leste is a complete distribution, based on Debian/Devuan with mainline Linux. The general idea behind it is that by basing it on top of a modern, actively developed distribution and kernel, once ready, it will require minimal maintenance so it won't suffer from bit rot like Fremantle.

It might seem like overkill but part of the problem with Fremantle is that it is so old now that a lot of new software may not build against it because it may depend on libraries much newer than those bundled with Fremantle. I'm not saying that building AutoSSH for Fremantle can't be done, it's just something to consider. If you still want to go down the Fremantle route, the one thing I would recommend (if you're not doing it already), is to make sure you're using Scratchbox to build AutoSSH.

Leste is not actually that difficult to install. You don't need to replace Fremantle, it can be configured for dual boot. All it requires is to copy it to an SD card and to install and configure U-Boot. More info here:
https://leste.maemo.org/Nokia_N900#Installation

I would guess that your Python script won't work without modification. Leste uses the actively developed oFono telephony stack so your script would probably have to be adapted to use that. You should be able to use unicsy_demo to test SMS. It's written in Python so hopefully that will help you to get your script working.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2019-02-08 at 20:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Ok, let's be serious about it:
The n900 is my old phone, lay some years in the drawer (even my new phone - a Jolla1 - is kind of old by now ...) - I had no use for it.

Now I have the need to send SMS for notification purposes from a web application. So I remembered my old phone and had the idea to have a second life for it: do a reverse tunnel from the n900 to the webserver - and then do some SMS sending through this tunnel from the webserver to the n900.
I don't need to have much interaction with the phone itself - just being able to ssh to it would suffice. Ok, maybe I want to use it as a phone sometimes. I also don't need to keep fremantle.

So, what would you say - is this easily achievable with Leste? I'm a programmer but I have no experience in programming the n900 ...

kind regards,
stephan

As for the error in your compile.
You need to install "make"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post: