Active Topics

Notices

its quite possible that it could be just in-game. ill do some other comparisons.

but also there has been instances where ive seen on some high end winmo phones where the specs stated 256k or 16m but winmo only supported 16bit...

Last edited by alexreed88; 2010-01-12 at 19:28.

It's not a completely fair comparison as the iPhone's resolution is 2.5 times less than N900's. There is also no multitasking on the iPhone.

From what I've seen, the framerate looks good when it's not dropping frames. There seems to be some weird stuttering in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKKb5EyP-S8

I think this has something to do with the OS, it's propably doing some stuff in the background which takes up CPU cycles and makes Angry Birds drop frames. Could be that the user in the youtube video is running too many apps at once or maybe a widget is refreshing itself every once in a while, causing the stuttering?

This kind of problems might get ironed out after updates to the OS, game or both.

edit: have the game myself on iPod Touch 8GB (ARM11 @ 533MHz if my memory is correct) and it's silky smooth - in comparison the N900 version is a disappointment, although the bigger real-estate is nice.

Last edited by triple_a; 2010-01-12 at 19:29.

Originally Posted by triple_a View Post
It's not a completely fair comparison as the iPhone's resolution is 2.5 times less than N900's. There is also no multitasking on the iPhone.

From what I've seen, the framerate looks good when it's not dropping frames. There seems to be some weird stuttering in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKKb5EyP-S8

I think this has something to do with the OS, it's propably doing some stuff in the background which takes up CPU cycles and makes Angry Birds drop frames. Could be that the user in the youtube video is running too many apps at once or maybe a widget is refreshing itself every once in a while, causing the stuttering?

This kind of problems might get ironed out after updates to the OS, game or both.
Actually..the framerate is fine..its just not as fluid as its counterpart. My main gripe is the color. And i did the comparison with no programs open and closed unnecessary processes in xterm.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I don't know if the LCD framebuffer on the iPhone is 16, 18 or 24 bits -- what I know is that by default, the Apple provided OpenGL skeleton will render to a 32 bpp frambuffer and dither.

I believe most serious games correct this (and set it to the more appropriate rgb565, like what we have on the N900). Easy way to solve this question is asking the game developer , but my vote is that the iPhone game also uses 16bpp and thus the difference in color quality is either a bug or a caused by something else.

As for speed, well, the SGX on the iPhone (3GS) is just better and also has way less pixels to move.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I don't know if the LCD framebuffer on the iPhone is 16, 18 or 24 bits -- what I know is that by default, the Apple provided OpenGL skeleton will render to a 32 bpp frambuffer and dither.

I believe most serious games correct this (and set it to the more appropriate rgb565, like what we have on the N900). Easy way to solve this question is asking the game developer , but my vote is that the iPhone game also uses 16bpp and thus the difference in color quality is either a bug or a caused by something else.

As for speed, well, the SGX on the iPhone (3GS) is just better and also has way less pixels to move.
You are right about the sgx, but i was comparing it to the iTouch with the 2g hardware

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I don't know where this myth that the N900 displays 16M colors came from. No matter what the screen hardware can display (18bit maybe), the OS runs in 16 bit mode.
Yes, you'll notice a big difference between 16bit and 24bit when looking at undithered color gradients. But dithering, especially at the high resolution of the N900, makes it less noticable.
BTW, 32 bit colors is the same as 24 bit colors, with the additional bit unused or used for storing a transparency value. Both display 16M colors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
I wouldn't blame the makers of angry birds if they cut some corners to more easily port it to maemo.
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
I think that's where the problems come from: the producers not optimizing the app very much
So you skip blaming and jump straight to accusations?

Seriously though, both iPhone and N900 versions of Angry Birds use 16 bit color mode and the assets are pretty much in the same format.

Also, no corners were cut while making the N900 version. Neither one of the versions is a port of the other, they are both exactly the same game and optimized as much as we were able to. The only reason why iPhone version went out sooner was the delay in Ovi Store opening.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Miika For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Allow me to add my experience as follows:

a) Although the N900 is slightly dimmer,

b) Color-wise the phones are quire similar. N900 seemed a bit better but it could be bias. Same goes for HD2.

c) My N900 runs the birds like nobody's business. I haven't had a single slowdown unless there was a call or notification. It might be your phone that runs stuff.

d) I saw the app run on both. There is no performance difference in either, the animation is smooth. I have a water cooled quad core with a dual GPU at home. I know framerate when I see it. It was smooth. On both.

e) the iPhone is not exactly big on multitasking. N900 is. If you have performance differences it's probably that something's not right in the background.

Oh, and, the 24 bit (16M color) comes from the specs. What really is displayed can be tested relatively easily. I will run a test tomorrow.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:

This one below I attempted to even out the brightness settings.

Seems the background is the main difference.
And yes while both framerates are quite solid' its quite obvious that the osx version is smoother.
Given the info in the above pose i suppose that the touch has a better screen calibration? Dont know the reason for the difference.

Last edited by alexreed88; 2010-01-13 at 01:17.

I have both devices to and the game on both.. I must say the res on the n900 makes the game look better and detailed.. but then again the colorflow and brighness level on the iphone is so much better this is mostly because of the capacitive screen. Im selling the n900, got to be a f.. nerd to get something out of this device,..