Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Originally Posted by zoxir View Post
well you have to admit that 6 monkeys throwing feces at each other would make a way better ceo than failop
pmsl

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ saint lucia
Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
pmsl
I like the name "failop"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coopere For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
Btw.: "data faults on handsets"...they are talking in general about WP7?
Maybe they misspoke and meant 'GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT's?

You folks MUST see this.. heh! Tech News Today talking about the Nokia Lumia 900's reception:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOPy9jNhEjc&t=33m58s
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
The fail goes on:
"Nokia debt downgraded as company struggles

On Monday, Moody's Investors Service downgraded Nokia's corporate debt to near-junk status. The company's decline in sales numbers and 35 percent fall in revenue have earned it a Baa3 rating, or one step away from non-investment grade. This latest drop marks the most recent stumbling block for a company that was once the pinnacle of Finnish innovation and pioneered the global rise in mobile phones.
..."
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...ess-around.ars
And here are the numbers:
"Devices & Services
Smart Devices net sales -52%
Smart Devices volume (mn units) -51%"
http://www.results.nokia.com/results...lts2012Q1e.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Its not a fail. They knew that there will be nadir as they transition from Symbian to WP. This is not unexpected at all. They need to get rid of Symbian as soon as possible and churn out more Lumias. Symbian is sooooo yesterday and needs to be deep sixed. Hope they continue to refine Meego, but I dont think they got money for that now

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Its not a fail.
This is not unexpected at all.
There was a target "market share up slightly" for 2010 "compared
to 2009" already.
There was a target "mobile device volume market share flat, compared to 2009"
( http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...7-partnership/
below "Financials not good").

In this light it is a huge failure.

But you are right: we expected all that after Nokia announced the WP7 agony.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Its not a fail. They knew that there will be nadir as they transition from Symbian to WP. This is not unexpected at all. They need to get rid of Symbian as soon as possible and churn out more Lumias. Symbian is sooooo yesterday and needs to be deep sixed. Hope they continue to refine Meego, but I dont think they got money for that now
abill? Is that you in there?

We all predicted this.

Howcome the multi-millionaire captains of industry at the helm of Nokia couldn't see this coming?

lumiaman, what part of the articles linked don't you understand? Help us help you!

Last edited by shallimus; 2012-04-19 at 15:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
They did see the plunge coming, that is why they went for someone outside the company, Elop. They were running out of ideas. They had nothing at the table that could compete with other platforms, and went for WP. The current platforms of Symbian, Meego, Maemo, etc.... are not good enough at the high end. There is no need to be joyful with negative news. Its expected of a dinosaur that took more than 5 years to see what is coming down the pike. Elop is doing the right thing, whether its little too late, I dont know. Perhaps they should have gone with Android? Perhaps. I am still optimistic. But before they get there, NOKIA willl definitely shrink. They enjoyed a good 10 year ride, everything good eventually ends. Hope they can rebuild it.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
They did see the plunge coming, that is why they went for someone outside the company, Elop. They were running out of ideas. They had nothing at the table that could compete with other platforms, and went for WP. The current platforms of Symbian, Meego, Maemo, etc.... are not good enough at the high end.
Please explain why WP is a better choice than N9-running-Harmattan... or is WP "not good enough at the high end" either?

There is no need to be joyful with negative news. Its expected of a dinosaur that took more than 5 years to see what is coming down the pike. Elop is doing the right thing, whether its little too late, I dont know. Perhaps they should have gone with Android? Perhaps. I am still optimistic. But before they get there, NOKIA willl definitely shrink.
It's nice that you're optimistic (joyful?) I guess that's still possible if you choose to ignore what's happening to Nokia. I'm not joyful. I won't even get to enjoy some good old-fashioned Schadenfreude when Elop eventually "moves on to a new challenge" or whatever, because history suggests that he'll be given a fat stack of cash when he leaves.

They enjoyed a good 10 year ride, everything good eventually ends. Hope they can rebuild it.
While it's true that everything good eventually ends - and that Nokia was already in trouble well before Elop arrived - not every good ship has to be set on fire, plundered by pirates masquerading as the crew and then scuttled...

Last edited by shallimus; 2012-04-19 at 15:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Please explain why WP is a better choice than N9-running-Harmattan... or is WP "not good enough at the high end" either?

It's nice that you're optimistic (joyful?) I guess that's still possible if you choose to ignore what's happening to Nokia. I'm not joyful. I won't even get to enjoy some schadenfreude when Elop eventually "moves on to a new challenge" or whatever, because history suggests that he'll be given a fat stack of cash when he leaves.

While it's true that everything good eventually ends - and that Nokia was already in trouble well before Elop arrived - not every good ship has to be set on fire, plundered by pirates masquerading as the crew and then scuttled...
N9 is a beta OS. It has no chance of succeeding and markets show it. It was advertised heavily in China and few other markets, yet it failed to inspire. It can not compete for the common man/woman paycheck. Dont blame Elop for what has been happening for years at NOKIA. Elop perhaps came too late, but that is NOKIA's decision alone. They hired him because they clearly wanted a change in direction. He gave it to them. Whether you like it or not is a different thing. He made a bold move and may lose a job over it.

Tags
goodbye nokia, winding down