Active Topics

Hi,

what makes Nokia to run so deadly slow server
at http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008

This Site is hosted as a public service by Nokia Corporation, its subsidiaries or affiliates, having its principal office at Keilalahdentie 2-4, P.O. Box 226, FIN-00045 Nokia Group, Finland (business identity code in Finland 0112038-9) ("Nokia"). With respect to general inquiries concerning this Site please refer to the FAQ or send your queries to webhost@maemo.org

Does NOKIA really can't afford to buy a faster server ?

Or please just move all packages , distributions to Google's archives for immediate download.

NOKIA, we live in 21th century.

Nokia, shame on you.

Mailing address:

Maemo Development Platform
Att: Jarmo Tikka
Itämerenkatu 11 - 13
00180 HELSINKI
PL/P.O.Box 407
00045 NOKIA GROUP
Finland

I agree, it's horribly slow.

Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
I agree, it's horribly slow.
I am afraid Nokia invested a lot of money in development of maemo tablet, making every effort to compete with iPod Touch in US
and lolst money, market and interest in further development of maemo tablet.Tablet is not phone is not navigation
is still an experiment.
To complicated to operate by no Linux-funs, can't generate any profit as early version of maemo Nokia 770 lost manufacturer's support and interest.

I am afraid, maemo project manager is fully aware of the defeat and funding is no more provided to maemo.org to maintain standard quality service to customers, users of Nokia tablet.

Replacing standard applications catalog/s by application categories like

Categories

* 15 applications in Communications
* 1 applications in Database
* 21 applications in Desktop Environment
* 1 applications in Education
* 41 applications in Games
* 21 applications in Internet
* 25 applications in Multimedia
* 17 applications in Office-Business
* 20 applications in Other
* 3 applications in Religion
* 5 applications in Scientific
* 7 applications in Security
* 10 applications in Software Development
* 13 applications in System
* 4 applications in Text Editors
* 3 applications in Travel

is a joke in 21st century.
The given numbers are not visible in standard html view.

It takes hours to install selected applications, switching between categories not minutes.

Nokia. Please go to Apple.com to see how it works and what quality service provided to customers looks like.

And problems with gps sound like a nightmare in the days of $99 Sirf 3 chipset - based navigation devices.

Darius

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
I agree, if that web site was just pathetic it would be an orders of magnitude improvement.

I keep wondering (and just not willing to spend the time to verify) if every minor point upgrade counts as another app. I also suspect the vast majority of apps are not there but spread around the net by people who want folks to be able to find and actually be able to get what they put out. Information as to what an app actually is usually might as well be completely missing.

While I love my N800, it has become a love / hate relationship with *frequent* thoughts of retiring it to the drawer of "interesting archival stuff". I'd feel guilty at this point selling it to someone or even giving it away (the SD cards are useful elsewhere :-).

Perhaps *IF* wifi was as common as stoplights then it might be useful. At least here tethering it to a cell phone is ungodly expensive and not going to happen for me.

What nokia has accomplished, as far as I am personally concerned, is to have squandered my VERY high opinion, product loyalty and respect right into the crapper. When I had to replace my cell here recently, I did not get another nokia phone just because of the sad, SAD handing of this tablet playground.

Could have been a stellar device, but nokia bufu'd it solidly and seems dedicated to keeping it up and trying to make it consistently worse.

Only saving grace with this thing is the community. I would have been, VERY sad to say, FAR better off with an EEE PC :-(.

And Yes, I wish I didn't feel this way.
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Fixes to the website are forthcoming. Ference is (evidently) moving on to other stuff and XFade (on #maemo) seems to be taking over the job of whipping it into shape. My bet is that we'll see some big changes over the next month or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Fixes to the website are forthcoming. Ference is (evidently) moving on to other stuff and XFade (on #maemo) seems to be taking over the job of whipping it into shape. My bet is that we'll see some big changes over the next month or so.
It would certainly be refreshing and welcome to see, but while I am not from Missouri , show me :-).

Maybe nokia isn't their own worst enemy :-)!!!
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
My dear friend,
what fixes do you mean, download section is corrupt, that's all.
If you relations with Nokia are so good, please tell them
to go back to standard .deb packages for download.

I and many of my friends live off-wifi, especially indoor and to install anything to tablet from installs, I have to go outdoor, looking around for a free hotspot and spend an hour or more outdoor in winter time.

Is it really so hard to understand that I prefer to download .deb packages to PC or directly to usb connected tablet (memory card) and than install them from Application manager ?

For installs I prefer font size of my PC lcd monitor.

And to download .deb packages there is no need to any fix to maemo.com.
Just move packages and all applications to repositories section, give one text file, detailing each package, application in the repository
and let me and others to download application off-wifi, to my PC or tablet's memory card.

Please visit repositories section. It works fine and fast.

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/

And please use at Nokia the right name for Application Catalog.
Application catalog is exactly a catalog not a set of links to categories or sections.

Application Catalog is here
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/ApplicationCatalog2006

What maemo/Nokia says makes me laugh
"
The new Application Catalog is available for testing. We would highly recommend to use the new catalog. <br/>Please see more details about the usage of the new catalog in the User Manual.
"

They suggest and recommend me to give up a good working catalog and go to a new, very slow catalog.

There is no link at Wikipedia to ApplicationsCatalog2007, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N810

Darius

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Darius2006 View Post

There is no link at Wikipedia to ApplicationsCatalog2007, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N810

Darius
It is a wiki. You could always add it yourself if you see a need for it to be included.

-Rip

The Following User Says Thank You to RipTorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RipTorn View Post
It is a wiki. You could always add it yourself if you see a need for it to be included.

-Rip
Ok my friend.
There is tablet project manager at Nokia and it's up to him not me, to provide the best possible support to Nokia customers.
He is paid for his job.
If Nokia and its maemo tablet project manager is not interested to develop wiki entries so please don't ask me to interfere with my suggestions.

Nokia is really a big corporation to afford to hire a right man, manager, in charge of maemo tablet development, support,
showing interest in providing the best care for and support to present and in-spe customers, users of Nokia tablet.

Please go to Apple to see Steve Jobs is spending every hour to develop best products, welcome by users, generating profit.

I am afraid development strategy at Nokia lost control over Nokia tablet and what I see is not a market product but still beta-product for testers.

"Buy it, test it and gives us your opinion" - is exactly marketing strategy
at Nokia for maemo tablet.

Darius

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Melfa, VA, USA
I suppose that you could make.the argument. that the N8x0 is a iPod touch/Phone competitor, but l think that it is a very niche product. none of my friends have much of a clue about linux or repositories. Maybe when the wimax version gets deployed it has a chance to go Mainsteam. until then in my opinion the iPod will always be the Standard because of the Lack of knowledge about Linux and linux based hardware.

I found out about the n800 from the podcast Buzz out loud.

Mike