Notices

Well, that sounds like a project for someone interested in doing some tinkering. Since he left the source code for others to use if they wanted to, I think it's ample opportunity to do some hacking to make it do everything we want. It also may not hurt to hack the program to run on Linux too, since some of us are of the penguin persuasion. Really it's not that big a deal to have to fire up VB or Wine to use this, but if we can run a native Linux version of it, why bother?

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
One minor question, im not sure if this function exists, but when you type and address when you tap goto in the view menu is it possible for it to put a dot or something on the screen so you know exactly where it is?

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Well, I might have been unclear. I said that this new version should fix the cross-platform limitations of GDBM that were making it impossible to fix Winmapper. So, theoretically, Winmapper is fixable, but I don't know if anyone has fixed it (i.e. changed it to write to a database instead of a directory structure), yet.
I'll fix it when I have some time, probably by the end of the week.

The Following User Says Thank You to ioan For This Useful Post:
Danke Ioan! One question. Will this have a Linux version too, or will it run alright under Wine? I'm using Linux Mint for my desktop and I'd hate to have to boot into Windows just to use it. Otherwise, I love the app.

I did a quick conversion from the file based storage to SQLite3 database. Let me know guys if you have any problems with the application.

Download it from here:
http://ioanghip.googlepages.com/winmapper.htm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ioan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by ioan View Post
I did a quick conversion from the file based storage to SQLite3 database. Let me know guys if you have any problems with the application.

Download it from here:
http://ioanghip.googlepages.com/winmapper.htm
M/M has since added 2 zoom levels I believe. The space was created by bumping old levels up 2 places.
That is, files in number 4 folder as created by Winmapper now correlate to zoom # 6 in Maemo Mapper... and so on.

Will this create a problem?

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Will this create a problem?
hmm, probably. I'll check gnuite's code when I have some time and see what modifications I have to do to mine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ioan For This Useful Post:
Keep us informed. I'm enjoying your work!

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
No, the tap-and-hold menu hasn't been removed, and it isn't controlled by a setting. It should always be enabled.

Is anyone else having this issue?
It definitely is not working for me and I know it was before I upgrade since it's a feature I use a lot. I just upgrade to the latest MM rev. and the problem is still there. I'm using the 770 with OS2006.

Nothing has changed on the my 770 other then I upgrade MM.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Germany
Well, where I'm waiting for my N810 I try Maemo Mapper 2.6.2 with my N770 OS2006. So I'd like to load some maps I can use with N770 and N810 later. Because I think it should be easier to download the maps on PC and copy to the IT I have tried WinMapper (updated 03.19.2009). After a short time I got a file named "-Google Street.db" and moved it to the IT. On MM I created a new map repository with the new file as cache file. But I only get a black map. There are some special steps needed?

Regards,
Frank