Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
ok this post is for none linux hackers, i know a lots of the n900 users are super linux hackers, but there is also a big number of n900 users that aren't linux hackers, and we all know that the linux hackers customize the n900 to the max (custom icons, custom widgets, custom transitions, custom colors, custom fonts, and they can do a lots of things using the queen becon widget )
but what about us ? the non linux hackers, well thanks to the linux hackers the n900 customizing can't get easier, well lets start :
blac plastic theme+addon1+addon2 : this is where you get the most of the customizing, you get custom themes, custom transitions, some custom icons, and you can change the device's font in the settings ! and the cutom transitions makes the device a lot faster, and if you don't like the themes that come with the plastic themes package, you can add themes to them, just open x-terminal, and write 'convertplastic' and you'll get a list of the installed themes, than write : convertplastic themesname themenameinplastic and than you can go and choose that theme in the settings with the custom transitions....
desktop+ : you can install this app from the devels, and with this app you can get up to 9 homescreens !! if you don't see the extra homescreens after choosing them in the app, just install matan's hildon-desktop (its avaible in the app's settings) than unistall it,
queen becon widget : i know this is a developers widget and all that, but its actually very simple to use, you can serch this forum for commands to use in this widget (there's tons ) and its very very easy to customize the way you want, colors, background, fonts.... and by the way that clock widget in my attachements is done in the queen becon widget.
omweather widget custom layout : now this is were you customize your weather the way you want it, you can get special animations for this widget from the extras, and you can customize almost everything, look at mine in the main homescreen.
i'm running the matrix theme in the blac plastic package with custom transitions, and 6 homescreens.
if you guys want to add easy stuff that we ( the non hackers) please go ahead .
posted from my n900 .
Noise BomB .
Attached Images

Last edited by elie-7; 2010-09-21 at 10:46.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
why dont you learn? id never tried linux 6 months ago and now i am quite at home a user, modding away. just start with simple mods, youl soon get to grips with it.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
i'm doing the same mate, i never used linux before 3 months ago, and now i'm starting to roll, i know its simple and easy and geeky, but this post is something to start with the n900, consider it as an intro to the awesome linux word, and for me i am learning everyday about linux and maemo5 thanks to this great community, thanks guys ur the best.

Last edited by elie-7; 2010-09-21 at 11:13.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
good call dude, and good to show off some awsome mods that are just click and install stuff now.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mierlo, Netherlands
Hey, I recommend you start to learn this way:
Install Debian on your PC.
Install Easy Debian.

Then always take a glimpse at Debian User Forums threads. You'll learn many things over there.

But, don't ask noob questions there, search Google, or ask me in private, because they'll react in a bad way if you ask noobish questions in public forum. I'm willing to help you though.

And please, call it GNU/Linux. Because the OS is GNU, just the kernel is Linux.

Good luck mate!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMLJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dscobsct View Post
good call dude, and good to show off some awsome mods that are just click and install stuff now.
that was the idea behind this post.

Originally Posted by AMLJ View Post
Hey, I recommend you start to learn this way:
Install Debian on your PC.
Install Easy Debian.

Then always take a glimpse at Debian User Forums threads. You'll learn many things over there.

But, don't ask noob questions there, search Google, or ask me in private, because they'll react in a bad way if you ask noobish questions in public forum. I'm willing to help you though.

And please, call it GNU/Linux. Because the OS is GNU, just the kernel is Linux.

Good luck mate!
ok mate i'll do it but not now or in the next few days, i'm tooo busy, but i'll do it thanks for the advice, these are some easy cosmetic changes nothing much.

Last edited by elie-7; 2010-09-21 at 11:37.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mierlo, Netherlands
Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
ok mate i'll do it but not now or in the next few days, i'm tooo busy, but i'll do it thanks for the advice, these are to customizing startups .
No problem my friend!

The Following User Says Thank You to AMLJ For This Useful Post: