Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I have a problem with using my n900, and I'm hoping the clever people here can at least tell me whether there is a solution possible. It's the n900 wifi output. I bought Joikuspot so I can connect to the internet using the 3g in my phone sim. That worked fine, until I stopped using windows.

Joikuspot apparently only puts out wifi as 'ad hoc', which MeeGo can't use. Neither can Android 2.2 (the Android guys have apparently been complaining about this for 2 years!). Neither can ubuntu in some circumstances (which appear to be chip dependent).

So first question: is that a hardware or software limitation of the n900? Could it be made to put out an infrastructure wifi visible to all OSs?

Second question (dependent on the first) since Android apparently does put out an infrastructure type wifi, can nitdroid?

Third question: going back to the point that ubuntu seems to be picky about seeing ad hoc networks, is there anyone out there who's put ubuntu on a MeeGo conference lenovo netbook, who could tell me whether it can see joikuspot from an n900?

Because if the answer to all of the above is 'no dice' I'm going to be forced to reinstall Windows on the Lenovo, which is a bit mean as I was given it to try out MeeGo.

Can someone help? Please?

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Try this if you want. I have no idea how joikuspot and mobilehotspot work. I own no laptops so never felt the need for these applications.

But you can encrypt the output..so I don't think it's Adhoc.

Last edited by pantera1989; 2010-12-26 at 10:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Thanks Pantera. Sadly, I think that's a bit beyond this bear. And Joikuspot encrypts, so I'm not sure that's conclusive. But if it's possible, it's worth chasing up.

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Hi RevdKathy, from time to time it's nice to meet you here jumping in from the Meego bandwagon.
Code:
/home/user # iwconfig wlan0 mode master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
so it looks like the (chip or driver) doesn't support it.
If you look for that, there are many threads speaking about this issue leaving little or no hope at all, see for example http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32602 or http://forums.internettablettalk.com...ad.php?t=48075 first post, comment #4 mentioning http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=214
Perhaps somebody with more knowledge than me could jump in and shed all doubts.

Last edited by jurop88; 2010-12-26 at 10:50. Reason: RevdKathy misspelled!

The Following User Says Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 483 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Norwich, UK
I've been using mobilehotspot for a few months now and I have to say I haven't experienced any problems.

I've used it on:
  • My girlfriends netbook (running Ubuntu 10.04)
  • My brother's iPhone (4G and 3GS)
  • Many different laptops and netbooks running various versions of Windows

To be honest though, I tend to get better speed using the BluetoothDUN, and luckily blueman on Ubuntu supports this out of the box.

Sorry I can't give you any help, but I'm just letting you know what definately works. Can't say I've ever tried it with Android, but I will give it a go with the Samsung Galaxy at work and get back to you.

fAircrack (Aircrack GUI): Point-and-click pwnage for your N900
Now with John the Ripper integration

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRuMMaGe For This Useful Post:
To clarify a little bit
MobileHotSpot works great (/me use it too) but the wireless setup is in ad-hoc mode. Unfortunately some linux setups are not able to hook at it (/me struggling with a D-Link DL122 wireless key in an Ubuntu box for more than a year) and you have to configure your wireless in an AP/Infrastructure mode if you want your home or portable linuxbox to hook at it.
But the N900 chipset/firmware/driver has its limitation and can be configured (at the moment) only to operate as an Ad-Hoc router.
Hope it's clearer now. More references in the link upnoted.

The Following User Says Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
It is a driver limitation. The good news is that the guy who has been working on getting packet injection working on the N900 has said he fixed some bugs with managed mode and hopefully will be releasing an updated kernel with the fixes soon. I could be mistaken, but if I'm interpreting that correctly along with the ability to do packet injection, we'll also be able to run our N900s as a proper access point rather than using ad-hoc mode to share the connection.

I got an ad-hoc connection with MobileHotspot working on my netbook running Ubuntu 9.10, both with the in-built Atheros wifi and a cheap Ralink usb wifi stick, but I did have to enter the hex key rather than the passphrase (you can see the hex key your n900 using by typing "iwconfig" on the terminal as root).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Thanks guys. That really helps a lot. I have this lovely netbook, and no way to use it outside the house, which seems a bit stupid and pointless!

If the n900 can start offering a proper infrastructure wifi in the near future, then my main problem with MeeGo is solved (at least for now). *Hopes very hard*

I have 1gb/month 3g in my n900 and apparently no way to connect the two: no pc suite in MeeGo, bluetooth doesn't see n900 and can't use Joikuspot. I can wait a bit longer, but I need it within a few weeks. I've been out trying to work out how to re-install windows to the netbook, which seems a crying shame.

It has a broadcom chip, which I suspect will refuse an ad hoc even in ubuntu. (Unless anyone knows differently?) If that's do-able, do I have to enter stuff via terminal every time or will it remember?

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
I got an ad-hoc connection with MobileHotspot working on my netbook running Ubuntu 9.10, both with the in-built Atheros wifi and a cheap Ralink usb wifi stick, but I did have to enter the hex key rather than the passphrase (you can see the hex key your n900 using by typing "iwconfig" on the terminal as root).
perhaps a little OT, but I still had no success in connecting my ralink based DWL-G122 on the ubuntu 10.4 desktop to my trusty n900 in ad-hoc mode. Passkey doesn't matter since I won't use any key until the connection is successful for simpler debugging. And it is one of the task I try to accomplish almost every time I have some spare time!

No experience with Broadcom chips, unforftunately. BTW, is the bluetooth stack still under work in Meego? I use the DUN bluetooth connection, too, with the ubuntu and mac boxes. I hate to admit that with my Windows slate MobileHotSpot ad-hoc is flawless and faster - and allows multiple computer connections, too!