Active Topics

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Hey guys I found an interesting topic to discuss today.

Share your knowledge on which do you think is better at display correct contrasting, colours, and brightness.
Would be nice if someone with high knowledge in this kind of thing share with the rest of us.

The topic is:

Super AMOLED Plus VS Retina Diplay (fruit) VS nCDK (Nokia) and LCD.

This would probably help others in their hunt for a perfect phone to replace their rusty N900

Regards,
Maxx

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Good idea comparing screens, but there's a lot more than just screen type when choosing your next device.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Well yes totally agreed but hey this is a start
Since all of the hardware are relatively similar in term of RAM, CPU (dual core A9 and qualcomm), GPUs and so on. So screen is the only thing that differentiate between them. The rest of the hardware is normally easy to find out which is better by just review and benchmarks alone.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
The Retina Display and LCD are the same, the difference is simply pixel density (same with big and small 480i/p TVs)

The N900 comes pretty close to the Retina Display for a product that came out a year before
The OLEDs are brighter, and have true blacks, but have a much shorter life expectancy.

Man, what I wouldn't give for a phone with an aluminium-finish, dual-core A9+SGX6xx, 1GB RAM, FMtx, Bt, WiFi, IR, HDMI, 3.5" Retina LCD and a 1700mah LiPo.
+Linux.

you forgot NOVA display!

Originally Posted by Turkishflavor View Post
you forgot NOVA display!
What is that?

Edit: Oh LG's own AMOLED

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2011-04-06 at 22:37.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Lets dispense with all the buzzword and acronym [expletive] - it detracts from the real question. There are really only two major display types on the market at the moment.

LCD and LED.

Each of these can be implemented in dozens of ways.

Which is better? Realistically, neither is better. Incremental improvements are always being made in both fields. Look at both and take your pick.

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Lets dispense with all the buzzword and acronym [expletive] - it detracts from the real question. There are really only two major display types on the market at the moment.

LCD and LED.

Each of these can be implemented in dozens of ways.

Which is better? Realistically, neither is better. Incremental improvements are always being made in both fields. Look at both and take your pick.
Did you mean lcd and oled?

Imagine a phone with a crt screen. That would totally rock.

The Following User Says Thank You to tenkom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by tenkom View Post
Did you mean lcd and oled?

Imagine a phone with a crt screen. That would totally rock.
I meant LED - the broad category, OLED is a type of LED.

I guess you'd need to wheel around a hydraulic trolley for the CRT battery pallet to get a days use out of it, and the phone would have to be about 5 inches in width to accommodate the glass, but right you are, it would rock :-) Very retro. You would even get one of those yellow and black high voltage warning stickers on the back.

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
@maxximuscool
it is something looks like my thread which i submitted yesterday and you voted for Capacitive screen!!!

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72225

Tags
bada blows, bada rox, begins, display, of new talk