Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
And what about camera without HDMI - only xenon flash and good optics (optical zoom)? Feasible or not?
Rather not, you would have to transfer the viewfinder live picture and the final image over i2c, which is way too slow i guess. OTOH, Pentax was recently announcing a wifi sd card for the K3 which supports tethering including liveview over wifi, so in principle just make an TOH adapter for the K3, write an app and you are there Would not match my definition of "pocketable" though.

A bit more serious: the Sony DSC-QX100 and QX10 are cam "modules" for mobiles attached only via wifi, something like this could be possible for the jolla, too. But they are quite bulky.

And what about camera without HDMI - only xenon flash and good optics (optical zoom)? Feasible or not?
What about an "18MP 1/2.3″ Exmor R® CMOS sensor, Sony G Lens with 10x optical zoom, NFC/Wi-Fi® for simple connection with smartphone, 1080/30p HD video recording, compatible with Apple® iOS and Android™ devices”.? Please see http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/18/sony-qx10-review/ Or, if that is not good enough for you, could http://www.dpreview.com/previews/son...shot-dsc-qx100 do. If you fix that accessory camera on Jolla so that it does not cover its standard (wideangle) camera, perhaps you can shoot video while making still pictures with the zoom camera. Or perhaps you could shoot videos both with the add-on camera and with the camera of Jolla phone while listening to a music service over cellular data, with Sports Tracker drawing your route on map. That's real multitasking - perhaps also a suffiently rough testing method for Jolla phones All OHs do not need to be D-I-Y or long projects: just go shopping.

Last edited by Egon; 2013-10-14 at 11:56.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
Rather not, you would have to transfer the viewfinder live picture and the final image over i2c, which is way too slow i guess. OTOH, Pentax was recently announcing a wifi sd card for the K3 which supports tethering including liveview over wifi, so in principle just make an TOH adapter for the K3, write an app and you are there Would not match my definition of "pocketable" though.

A bit more serious: the Sony DSC-QX100 and QX10 are cam "modules" for mobiles attached only via wifi, something like this could be possible for the jolla, too. But they are quite bulky.
But it's an other half, it can be bulky Good camera has to weight something and has its size With WiFi-Direct (guess it's what'll be there) jolla can easily make it to add a decent camera.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

But it's an other half, it can be bulky Good camera has to weight something and has its size With WiFi-Direct (guess it's what'll be there) jolla can easily make it to add a decent camera.
You are right about the fact that you need a bulky camera for the best qualiy of photographing. But what kind of added value is provided by the rigid fixture against the back of Jolla phon? I see the Sony MX camera concept as more flexible: you can detach the camera, put it on tripod and control the camera with your smartphone from a distance.

A good external camera will be bulky, unless you purchase a 41 Mpix PureView license from Nokia, I guess. But such a relatively compact camera is more suitable to be built in a next-generation Jolla phone than in an OH.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by TemeV View Post
If SPI would be preffered for some reason, there could be i2c to SPI bridge. Though I think Arduino has i2c too, so why not to use it.

There could be same kind of OH for Raspberry Pi also.
And how would that help if we talk about bandwidth limitations?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by DJJonosound View Post
Half this stuff is so stupid. Why not just make a half that has pure i2c bus and power connections that can be used to plug into other devices like a SD card reader etc.. it just seems so stupid to have a million and one phone backs for something that could easily be achieved with USB OTG. Or in this case i2c OTG.
Talk about USB OTG do we know if will have this implemented on the phone?

Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
But what kind of added value is provided by the rigid fixture against the back of Jolla phon? I see the Sony MX camera concept as more flexible: you can detach the camera, put it on tripod and control the camera with your smartphone from a distance.
This is exactly what I think.
I was a bit deceived seeing that only I2C would be availlable as it kills most of the "advanced" uses of the other half.
If the only way to transfer enough data is wireless, then it is more interesting to make an independant device: it allows to continue to use the device remotely, doesn't need to change the other half, and works with all phones !
The only benefit of the other half in that case would be to share the power source, but again, if the cost is to lose the wifi connection when using the other half... (there are chances the other half will provide its own network, which is separate from your house/work one).
If some of (HDMI, DSI, CSI, SPI, USB, SATA) was availlable, there would be interest to embed some parts in other half, but with I2C, I can only see the keyboard and bigger batteries other half that make sense.

I had at first the idea of a CANbus other half, to be able to diagnose some controllers (automotive or industrial) using only the phone, but this would need at least an SPI bus running at about 10Mbps. So the only solution I have now is to make a CANbus/wireless gateway, and I don't see anymore why embedding it in a other half, as the wifi allows monitoring the system in a 100 meter range without any wires, and works with any laptop, tablet or mobile device...

I am still waiting for Jolla to see what they will do with the other half, as for me, most of my ideas went away when the I2C only connector was disclosed... Still, the keyboard will be a good one.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
The Eink other half could have one of these on it or the phone itself could have one.
http://www.redferret.net/?p=40456
It opens things up so that you don't have to have the whole other half totally dedicated to a solar panel.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^I like that for a eInk OH, I wonder if it would be doable with the current I2C/power config...
Still, it looks like this tech is barely past the concept stage, you often hear about things like this, but then they never make it to real products

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Talk about USB OTG do we know if will have this implemented on the phone?
I hope so, I have seen some awesome USB OTG devices around the place. Would be awesome to do what some people have done with the nexus 7 and controlled a canon 7D with it. Would love to be able to do timelapses etc from the phone

The Following User Says Thank You to DJJonosound For This Useful Post: