Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So the 2014 is coming to an end. It's closing time. And it would be very interesting so see what phones you value most 2014. Whats is your top 3?

My list...
1. Galaxy Note 4
2. LG G3
3. Sony Z3

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
1. N900
2. N900
3. N900

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
@foobar, beat me to it!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
1. N9 I "had to" use my old N9 for couple of weeks because my Jolla was having some service. Again that UI blow my mind. Simply best I have ever used and lightyears faster to move around than anything other I have experienced. If only it had more processing power...

2. Xperia Z3 Truly a really nice phone. Unfortunately it is boring because it is using Android

3. Jolla Because it is different. The hardware side is not that special, but the OS wants to be different and for me it is doing it great.

Special mention: Yota phone Some companies are still willing to try new things and lead the way. Have to give credit for that. Hopefully Yota phone 2 will have actually usabe second screen.

Biggest let down of the year. iOS and Android combined. I can't even remember when was the last time they managed to make me think even "Well, thats nice", let alone "Wow, that is cool!!"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
It's been a poor year in truth.

The Galaxy S5 was lacking in anything major, the iPhone 6 suffered from hardware issues and lacked in new features over the 5S. The new Nexus is only meh. And Nokia / Microsoft scrapped their exciting-in-theory '3D touch' flagship. So, what's left? I'm gonna go by what excites me most.

1) BlackBerry Passport - It's different, if that's all I can call it. It's trying new things with an old form factor, and personally I am a big fan of the OS. Camera is a weak point (as it always has been for BlackBerry), and the price is too high to make me want to try it as a daily driver just yet - but it's in my crosshairs for now.

2) YotaPhone 2 - A phone I genuinely didn't think we'd see after the first one's inability to make a splash, but I'm glad it's out now. The e-ink display on the back is innovative, and genuinely useful. Eye strain before bed is a major issue if you use your phone to read news articles etc., this solves that. Entirely. A real convergence device. And they've nailed the software to go along with it too! What more could you ask for? Well, maybe a Sailfish option... Android to me is very plain, uninspiring and ugly. I'm not going to be using it for a while - I value aesthetics too highly.

3) Nokia Lumia 530 - This is the phone that will truly bring 'smart' to the masses across the world, believe me. It's been on sale as low as £15 in the UK already. Whether you hate the OS or not, it is reasonably smooth, it has a camera, it runs apps and games, has a good browser, has expandable storage... and it costs £15. Let that sink in for a second. How they've managed to get this much into a device that can sell for this little is genuinely beyond me.

Notable mention: LG G3 - The least exciting, but another huge upgrade over what was already a very solid phone. Great hardware specs, and just improved across the board. This is LG's equivalent to the Galaxy SII - the phone that will really see them break into Samsung and Apple's party. Again, Android puts me off, but this is the phone that should really be sweeping up in these awards across the board.

Notable mention: HTC One M8 - A very beautiful phone. I love that HTC use metal in their construction, it gives it a much more premium feel. Unfortunately, it's let down by the camera, really badly. And the OS. And the battery life. A showpiece - not really usable in practice.... but so pretty.

Notable mention: Motorola Droid Turbo - It's powerful (like the iPhone 6, Note 4, S5, G3, One M8 and Z3), it has a nice screen (like the iPhone 6, Note 4, S5, G3, One M8 and Z3), the camera is good enough (like the iPhone 6, Note 4, S5, G3, One M8 and Z3), it looks decent but definitely isn't gorgeous (like the iPhone 6, Note 4, S5, G3 and Z3) - so what sets this phone apart? A 3900 mAh battery. Enough battery to make this power last. This really isn't innovative - but the amount nearly all other OEMs neglect this, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was. Probably the only Android phone I could use as a daily driver right now... if it wasn't for the fact that it's locked to 1 US network and comes with a ton of bloatware that can't be uninstalled.

Last edited by From Vertu with Love; 2014-12-21 at 11:34.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
foobar made it already!
That would have been the post to close this thread!!!

But as it not happened, I may correct it a bit (to my preferences ):
1. N900
2. N900, N9
3. N900, N9, N950

And be assured the answer for 2015 will be the same! [or maybe some 'eo' might sneak in ]

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
1. BB Passport - something new at last ;-)
2. N9 - which I rediscovered from the drawer to my pocket :-)
3. still my BB Z10 - still a little bit to big - but still rocking OS and display

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Love all your lists!

Its so nice to see that people creating their lists from so many different parameters and views.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-12-21 at 17:09.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I like

1)Note Edge: I've had it for a week or so and enjoy it. Edge has lots of potential. Just needs a little more love from XDA developers.
2)Note 4: Coming from the Note 3, It seemed more for the same but definately better. Especially camera and multitasking. (same goes for Edge)
3)Nexus 6: Love the screen size and will get tons of support from developers.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
How about a hierarchy of previous released flagship phones instead?
I'll put them in order of best to worst, and in groups of "stages"
This hierarchy is quite useful, now that I think of it : )

SONY Z3 (2014) ~ iPhone 6 > Moto X ~ LG G3 > HTC M8 ~ SGS5 ~ 1+1 (2014) >
LG G2 (2013) > Nexus 5 ~ SGS4 ~ Lumia 930 > Xperia Z ~ One ~ L1020 (2013) >
HTC One X 4G (2012) ~ BB Z10 > SGS3 ~ LG 4X ~ L920 > Jolla ~ Gnex (2011)

(and some legacy fun)
iPhone 4S (2011) > S2 (2011) >
N9 (2011) ~ iPhone 4 ~ L820 ~ EPIC 4G > SGS > EVO 4G (2010) >
Nexus One (2010) ~ N900 > iPhone 3GS ~ Moto Droid ~ BB Torch ~ Palm Pre (2009) >
(and even more legacy fun)
iPhone 3G (2008) >Moto Cliq > HTC TyTnII ~ Mitac A702 > iPaq rw6815 (2005) >
Palm Treo 650 (2004) > Nokia 9500 > Nokia 6630 (2004) >
Palm Treo 90 (2002) > Nokia 9210 > IBM Simon (1992) > ???

If you have an old device like a SGS2 (or older) or an iPhone 5S (or older), its time for an upgrade. A HTC One X 4G, its a middle-class device by today's standards and can be had for $50 - $200 for a cheap upgrade. However, if the phone has to be new, the Sharp Aquos Crystal is a competent mid-range offering and the best bang-for-buck device at $150 brand new.

If you want something better than that go for the LG G2. Its a phenomenal device that can be had around the $200 mark. Again, if you're not into old/used devices then grab the OnePlus One 64GB. They're still hard to get a hold of, but offer great value for $349 brand new.

However, if only the best will do then you'll be looking to spend above $700.
Here you can grab the NOTE 4, SONY Z3 or iPhone 6.... devices with the least compromises.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2014-12-21 at 23:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post: