Closed Thread
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
There's a couple of false assumptions here. Being FOSS doesn't mean being on its own. Nokia can continue to support maemo as a FOSS project. It may even be better because there are people within Nokia who want to kill maemo/meego/linux and getting some of it out of Nokia might be the best way to let it grow. There are ample precedents for companies using FOSS, and here the chance of someone using some derivative of maemo from FOSS is definitely higher than them using Nokia's maemo. Of course, there are other advantages I will not go into.

I'm not saying FOSS is the best solution, just pointing out that it's not a binary black/white decision - there are shades of gray and should not be precluded as a possibility because of the few things mentioned.
come to mind, indeed

only problem i can think of... GNU / Linux distros run on your standard PC, thus HW support is no problem; we have NITDroid which is tweaked to run on N9(00), but has anyone tried to run Maemo (Freemantle or Harmattan) on a standard ANDroid device?
may seem a trivial detail, but i think until we have that, sticking with NOKIA (i.e. hardware platform) would seem a prudent choice.

would we have the knowledgeable folks to write drivers for ANDroid devices? e-yes comes to mind, of course, but...

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
a simple query needs a simple answer .
what is gonna happen with this maemo.org at the end of 2012 ?
what about the data on this site ?
what about the repos ?
what about the packages which are needed to be put in the repos at the first place and secondly travel from devel to testing and finally to extras ?
what about wiki.maemo.org ?
what about the flasher kernel ?
actually as a member of this great community, what i am worried about is to loose all the greatness related to this place ,is it simply gonna vanish in the air ?
where exactly maemo stands after 2012 ?
what about the devs who still are working on maemo packages and may be interested even after 2012 ?
do we own a platform in case this site is gonna un-reachable ,so there wont be a data or the questions which were answered in many threads here ?
If maemo.org really gets abandonded by those nokia men ,why isnt it possible for us to be accepted as an entity to meego.com when we are already having a portion for harmattan ?
So far,sorry to say but all i see is TROLL TALKS and there has not been any solution to current thing .
Can any one,among the council, sense the decision about maemo.org from nokians ?
i believe since i have been a member of this community for more than a year or so ,i am really concerned since i am greatly in love with this place & yeah probably these questions will be raised in every head here on this maemo planet .
please Talk to nokia if it is appropriate . thanks !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by imo View Post
[...]TROLL TALKS [...]!
(10 characters)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
So far,sorry to say but all i see is TROLL TALKS and there has not been any solution to current thing .
Can any one,among the council, sense the decision about maemo.org from nokians ?
Re "troll talks": let's be literal and avoid hyperbole, thanks.

Anyway, I'm not currently on the council, but I don't have to be to answer your question: no. Sure, people outside Nokia can guess and speculate, but that's all. Those inside Nokia can't or won't say. And those of us like jaffa and myself in the middle, we're not even supposed to speculate.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
a simple query needs a simple answer .
No one knows yet so pointless to speculate. btw, maemo.org has never had a permanent funding.

The current answer is this:
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/005031.html

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
[...]

would we have the knowledgeable folks to write drivers for ANDroid devices? e-yes comes to mind, of course, but...
apparently smok[k]u did some foray into this as well, but that was nearly two years ago...
Running Maemo 5 on Android hardware

EDIT: for sake of completeness, some MeeGo perspectives
Porting Maemo/Meego to Android hardware - how plausible?
in the last post zehjotkah points to ARM/MSMQSD
it seems to end with MeeGo 1.1 (This page was last modified on 21 June 2011, at 22:21)

Last edited by misterc; 2012-04-08 at 15:33. Reason: MeeGo ports

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
NOKIA doesn't need to pay for Qt
Nokia pays the infrastructure at http://qt-project.org - but this is peanuts compared to the big team of Qt developers in the Nokia payroll.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Nokia-and-Qt

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Well, Nokia let go of Qt, in the sense that it is now a FOSS project, and it seems that all parties are happy with the situation and no "scission"(?) of the community occurred. So why can't something like that happen with maemo? The way it is now doesn't have to be the way it always is.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Qt never relied on any 3rd party closed source technology. So making it Free Software was Nokias decision alone.
That's different for Maemo. Even if Nokia would want to make Maemo Free Software there would still be the binary blobs like firmwares that are not under Nokias control.
And afaik due to some strange regulations it's impossible to access the US mobile networks with Free Software since you have to sign NDAs for that. (But I might be totally wrong at that point.)

So assuming that what I just said is only half-way correct it's completely impossible for Nokia to make Maemo (as a complete system) Free Software, even if they wanted to (which I seriously doubt in the first place).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Qt never relied on any 3rd party closed source technology. So making it Free Software was Nokias decision alone.
Actually that decision was Trolltech's (Qt was Free long before Nokia bought it). I think what SD69 meant above was that Nokia made Qt a community project with open development and governance, something laudable in itself but orthogonal to software freedom.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by lma
Originally Posted by sulu
Actually that decision was Trolltech's (Qt was Free long before Nokia bought it). I think what SD69 meant above was that Nokia made Qt a community project with open development and governance, something laudable in itself but orthogonal to software freedom.
I think there is a relationship (although it might be a tenuous grasp to let me segue into the question): what would this mean for Maemo? Nokia are not going to open anything which isn't already open. Is this the foundation of the aforementioned "non-profit legal entity"? Is it picking up on Graham's point about a perpetual distribution licence?

I have difficulty believing that if we have difficulty gaining more than five candidates for the Community Council, that it'll be easier finding people with enough drive, vision, time and skill to run a non-profit legal entity doing what the council does and a whole lot more.

There are three basic options for maemo.org (I've left off "be a general mobile internet device" site as I don't think it's viable):
  1. Focusing on Maemo-related devices, developments and hacks. This covers the five steps between 770, through N8x0, N900 and N9(50).
  2. Defocus on Maemo-related devices, expand on anything mobile running "mainline" Linux. This covers Maemo (including Harmattan), MeeGo, Tizen, Mer.
  3. Focus on Nokia's Linux-based open devices. This is a superset of #1, but leaves the door open for whatever else Nokia might have brewing, if Linux is actually exposed (porting S40 to a Linux kernel doesn't count)

#1 is a recognition that everything's pretty much finished, and we're winding down/maintaining a niche. That's not a bad thing, it's just accepting that we're not going to be get Draw Something or $LATEST_SHINY_FAD.

#2 is risky, but might be a good position if Mer gets more widely adopted. MeeGo's effectively deader than Maemo already, so there mightn't be much change practically. Tizen is mostly vapourware, so would only be recognising that we might get a growth spurt if Tizen took off.

#3 is similar to #1 in the short-term, but with the hope/aspiration to be Nokia's go-to-community for any future Linux efforts. I don't know how much stock I'm putting in the rumours, but if it is low-end, the fact the kernel and userland are organised similarly may not bridge the gap between user experience and intended audiences. Of course, this might be exactly equivalent to #1.

Last edited by Jaffa; 2012-04-11 at 14:14. Reason: Fix newlines from forum<->email bridge

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council