Posts: 51 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Powell, OH
What is the fastest and most compatible phone to use with N800 for DUN. I currently have the AT&T 8525 with latest update which does not work with the n800 right now. It needs to be 3g.

Thanks

Cingular 8525 is 3G. It's like the best 3G phone from Cingular to date..
It should work just fine (but then again, if you have a Windows PocketPC, what's the point of connecting it to N800 to access internet, really).

I suggest get something more simple like the new samsung Sync or Razr V3xx. You can use Cingular's Unlimited MediaNet with it.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ St.Petersburg, FL
ii have cingular and a samsung snyc and it works fine. You will have to get the data
plan of course but its cheaper than the data plan with the 8525.

My current plan with Cingular/ATT will expire in a couple of months but I can upgrade sooner. If I get the right phone will the cheapest $19.99 media plan from ATT be sufficient to access the Internet and, most importantly, use Skype on my N800?

I saw that T-Mobile has the $29.99 Internet option (including Hot Spot access). Is that any better than what ATT has to offer? Any specific phone recommendations in addition to the ones mentioned above? Thanks for your help.

The best value for cingular is the Samsung Sync. Not crazy about the phone (the look especially), but if youre mostly gonna use it for 3G, I say get that. And yes, you can use the $19.99 media plan for tethering with your N800 (except that you need to modify the setting a little bit).

T-Mobile doesn't have 3G (yet)

The Following User Says Thank You to re2st For This Useful Post:
ATT/Cingular uses HSDAP (AKA "3.5G") not UTMS. I know Treo 750 (after the update) and HTC Tytn (8525) support it.

ATT/Cingular's HSDPA network is pretty pitiful right now. It is only deployed in something like 17 major metro areas and speed test results aren't showing data rates much faster than EDGE. T-mobile bought a bunch of spectrum for doing 3g GSM and they should be able to create a network that is more competitive with the CDMA data providers. Unfortunately, it is anyone's guess as to when their rollout will occur. In short, 3g GSM is pretty pitiful in the US.

As for phones, I stopped by Nokia Experience Center at the Alderwood Mall north of Seattle yesterday and spent about half an hour playing with the N95 "superphone." That is one damn fine phone, if you don't mind dropping $650 on one.

-Quad band GSM
-3g data, but only on european frequencies
-5 megapixel camera
-WiFi
-A2DP
-Dual slider function for accessing keypad or multimedia controls
-GPS

v3xx is what i use. i also heard that sync is just as good, but i know v3xx has the faster modem? anyone know of the syncs modem?

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by re2st View Post
Cingular 8525 is 3G. It's like the best 3G phone from Cingular to date..
It should work just fine (but then again, if you have a Windows PocketPC, what's the point of connecting it to N800 to access internet, really).

I suggest get something more simple like the new samsung Sync or Razr V3xx. You can use Cingular's Unlimited MediaNet with it.
Yeah the 8525 is a great phone but it does not work because the n800 does not support bluetooth pan. From my understanding that is how you connect now with 8525. Also have you ever tried to surf the web on a pda - it sucks. So I am going to sell my 8525 (it is unlocked by the way) and get a slim 3g phone that works wih this.

I would like to know if there is a way to use the 8525 with latest firmware as a modem for the n800. I dont think you can unless you create some script. So if someone knows how please post a step by step how-to.

Thanks

I thought I would start contributing since I have been reading the forums for about a month since I got my 770.

I use a Blackjack and have shelved a 8125 to use it. Before that I used misc other PDA phones and the Blackjack is fantastic. The size and functionality are better than anything Cingular has right now.

The 770 is bigger than most phones and I don't want to carry that and a large phone as well.

You have to do the usual stuff mentioned on the board to get the PAN to work, but if you follow the directions it's not that big of a deal since someone else already wrote the script.

My biggest issue was realizing you need to add your bluetooth MAC at the beginning of the script and it started working.

-Tom