I'm following Jolla's Sailfish (and MeeGo, and Maemo) for quite some time and I'm quite sure it's the best option available on the market for today and the future concerning mobiles OS's.

But: I want to use it as fast as possible, but I'm not really convinced about the quality of the hardware.
Why: because of the results of the screen, battery and performance. I'm sorry, the website is dutch, but the graphs are clear, as you can see on the link and the next page (in dutch: "volgende pagina").

So if that's the case, I'd rather wait for Sailfish to become downloadable for other devices (Nexus, maybe?) or when Jolla makes it next device. It would be a logical decision to make a device with hardware keyboard, as most of the Jolla users want. Yeah, I've seen the topic about the other half and keyboard, but at this moment I'm not convinced by the level of quality that will bring).

So, does anyone one if/when Jolla will bring it's second device, if this will be with the so much wanted keyboard (why haven't they made it in the first place? Most people REALLY want it)?

If that questions can't be answered, does anyone know when Sailfish become broadly available for other devices? In december there was quite some noise regarding Jolla and the last weeks it's awfully quiet...

Just a short answer - and not even the right one to your question ;-)

But:

-Battery life is great once you use a workaround for the NFC bug (and with great, I really mean great!)

-screen is much better than I thought. My girlfriend has a Galaxy S4 with full HD resultion (it's my best comparison to a better screen). At normal use (!) I don't really see a difference between that screen and the Jolla one. I was bothered about the qHD screen before I ordered the device, now when actually using the phone I don't care anymore - I don't even think of it.

-Viewing angles of the screen aren't the bests, but also not the worse (a regular user won't miss anything). I miss a the AMOLED screen of the Nokia N9 I used before - but also prefer some aspects of the LCD one.

-performance is suprisingly good (even in Android 3d games which I tested). Of course it's not high end and I also wished to have more RAM for example. But does the phone feel slow? No, not at all. Many used iPhones or Android devices out there might even feel slower, despite superiour hardware.

I wished you could just hold such a phone in your hands. That probably would give you another opinion about the device :-)

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to caprico For This Useful Post:
i can only support capricos points and findings...

before the nfc bug was discovered, i had battery life comparable to my android-phone... a bit better probably... as i am typing this, my phone has been off the charger for approx. 9 hours.. i didn't get a lot to using it today, just played around in store and warehouse and did a quick restart of the aliendalvik via terminal to test the behaviour of a specific android app - i now have 84% battery left ... the best part is though: battery performance should get better with upcoming updates...

sceenwise i was a bit surprised.. i came from an qHD AMOLED display that offered pentile-matrix... even though there is the same resolution, the one on my jolla seems a lot more crisp and sharp - i never understood that resolution-madness anyway though...

i wouldn't count on a second device in the too near future... that's a lot of work and at the moment those people are dedicated to get the OS out of beta...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to egnat69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Agree with caprico too. The key thing I want to see is fixes and features added to the OS and then a port so I can get rid of Android on my Tablet.

I could not care less now for new hardware, what we have is more that adequate and once some more optimisation arrives it will only get better. Don't forget Jolla had very little time to optimise the current cpu as there was a very late change away from Siemens. This means there is plenty left in the tank before the HW becomes a major obstacle.

Also there is a chance that you will be able to run Sailfish on newer android devices in the near future.

Exciting stuff.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Screen quality is imo almost as horrible to review as a piece of HiFi gear. You have certain standards you can separate the products, like resolution, but everybody will perceive the screen quality differently in the end.

It's not competing against screens like Note 3 or Lumia 1520 almost stamp like screen.
Like repeated in quite a many source, it has among the best color production. Something I have always liked about iPhone screens. Though it is not as crisp as its competition.
http://wpsailors.com/2013/11/29/joll...trast-average/

As for the second device. I believe it was said on a interview that there's one device already planned, but can't be bothered to find the link. I believe it was in Finnish.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
Any new devices should ensure there are no binary blobs or secret proprietary code to hide back doors in. Also one were the user can properly re-flash their own hardware with a factory or modified image.

Security and support of FOSS is far more crucial than any number of pixels or features.

Richard

Last edited by richardski; 2014-01-17 at 23:57.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to richardski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Frankly the reason I want a second version of the hardware is to support worldwide GSM/HSDPA and LTE.

Everything else is just software and the other half.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
The "issues" with the hardware are these:
Brightness:
218 against 287 to 588 nits for the rest. It's the least bright screen. The Nokia N9 was the one with 287 nits, so it's 24% less bright.
Contrast: 425:1. I would expect at least 700 or 800 here. The best ones having more than 1000:1 contrast.
Color-accuracy: 6 (lower is better) against 4.1 to 2.1 for other phones.

Battery: non-issue, solved with the "NFC-hack", as is mentioned in the review. Startup-time camera: 4.68 seconds against 3.6 to 1.51.
That's 1 second behind the second last and 3 seconds behind the first of the bunch.

I would have to rely on your experiences with the device. I'm sensitive for screen quality. Resolution is not that important to me, but contrast, brightness and color-accuracy are. I'd like to have a bit of a color-real screen, so it would match my calibrated displays at home.

I'm not sure. The numbers don't lie and the website tweakers.net is a very respected site in the netherlands. But I don't see the numbers relate to user-experiences (before and after the review).

When I have the chance, I will see if I could get my hands onto the device and judge myself. It doesn't have to be top-notch, but I expect some quality. If Sailfish will become available as a download, I could get it on my Samsung Galaxy S3. It could be possible it has better hardware compared to the Jolla. I already have the SGS3, the Jolla would cost me €400 (selling my SGS3 for €250 it would cost €250). What would you do in my situation?

While I don't think the screen is bad or anything, I would suggest that you wait until you can test it in a store.

Compared to my LG TV, S-IPS and S-PVA display (connected to my PC) color accuracy is indeed quite poor.
E.g.: On the phone's screen I can barely see a difference between red and (red) orange-red while the difference is very obvious on my other screens.
But brightness isn't an issue imo. I'm able to read everything in bright daylight (haven't had a chance to test it in summer sun obviously ^^ edit: but so far it's better than with every phone before).
I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus before. Compared to that the screen's resolution is an issue for me because I can't read very very small texts on websites without zooming in. Or maybe the software isn't yet ready to accurately display small text? idk.

But for the moment I wouldn't go back to any other OS. The gestures are so much faster and more intuitive than home and back buttons etc. Phones with buttons, especially physical ones like the Note 3 / Iphones, suddenly feel awkward and outdated.
For a phone the headphone sound quality is good too, which is my main use of mobile phones.
So while I am certainly not amazed hardware-wise, the software is imo already miles ahead of iOS and Android (never had a Windows Phone, but it is slightly better than Windows 8.1 on a tablet, but only by a bit. I still like Win 8.1 - it's not as far off as the other two)

Last edited by Vipa; 2014-01-18 at 09:48.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
The least bright screen? What?

I am constantly running my Jolla on the lowest brightness level and I still wish there were lower levels. Any higher option is just too bright!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: