Notices

Thank you so much for looking into this and guiding me through diagnosing the problem !

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
So, to summarize: it all works with the new folder, right? In this case, it maybe something wrong with the databases after unpacking/downloading or with the SD card itself. I would suggest to make a new folder on SD card and start populating that.
Yes, it works with the new folder, so I'll start over in a different place on the SD card. The card is almost new, just downloaded/updated approx. 15 GB maps three times or so, which should be ok on a 64 GB card.

Don't subscribe in huge mass, if you are not going to use it within 2-3 month - regular map updates are expected in that period.
I'll be travelling, so will have to live with those updates. Or perhaps opt out when they happen. Is there a way to selectively update subscriptions, or is it all or nothing? I don't remember having a choice, but it is also quite likely that I just missed it.

As for "glitch" in startup messages - the last one(s) is of importance for the end user. The whole loading is implemented in a way that it tests for all conditions (and complains if something is missing) during addition of each resource. That was easier for me to debug and implement. So, its OK
Ah, makes sense. I'm guilty of some verbose logs, too Sometimes it's the best way to understand what is going on.

Note that you need raster maps only if you use corresponding client - current modRana or Poor Maps (old one).
I think I used that profile because I tried different map clients, and forgot to change it when I found that Pure Maps was the best choice. I really like that search and route planning are both available offline.

On the desktop, I have used KDE Marble for years, but it only lets me have map tiles offline.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaiFi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Re updates: its all or nothing. Valhalla imports the whole Planet road network and its later chopped into the tiles. So, you cannot mix the different imports at all. So, to keep it all simple and visually OK, I opted for all-or-nothing design for all of the formats.

Verbosity: I think default setting was not that verbose

Desktop: these days you could go for PM and the server on the desktop as well. There are flatpaks available for it at flathub.

PS: was easy to look into it, since the reporting was very good!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
In the original state, it sounded that your PM didn't really communicate with the server. Why was that - hard to tell. Maybe server got stuck with some wrong I/O.
I changed back to the folder on SD card, picked the default profile, and restarted the server.

Mapbox Streets (Default) still shows the ambiance background, but switching to OSM Scout Day gives me a white background. And then, after approx 15 seconds, the map appears!

If I then switch back to Mapbox there is a delay of 15 seconds to 2+ minutes before the background turns transparent again. The timing is not consistent and I sometimes get warnings about PM being unresponsive. Sometimes it seems as if the change happens when I go to the home screen, then back to PM.

So definitely something strange going on. I'll add one region at a time to my new folder and see how that goes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SaiFi For This Useful Post:
Out of curiosity:

When Pure Maps wants tiles that are not already downloaded, are these routed through the server and added to the offline stash of maps, or are they (temporarily?) cached by Pure Maps.

Thinking of higher zoom levels, or maps not included in the region download. (Like Thunderforest Transport, or Outdoors, perhaps.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SaiFi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SaiFi View Post
Mapbox Streets (Default) still shows the ambiance background, but switching to OSM Scout Day gives me a white background. And then, after approx 15 seconds, the map appears!
Mapbox Streets should work without any glitch and should not require OSM Scout Server at all. Would you mind to switch over to Mapbox, close PM, and start it from command line

sailfish-qml harbour-pure-maps

I do wonder if it prints out something out of ordinary. Ideally, start from SSH, so you could easily paste printouts.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SaiFi View Post
Out of curiosity:

When Pure Maps wants tiles that are not already downloaded, are these routed through the server and added to the offline stash of maps, or are they (temporarily?) cached by Pure Maps.

Thinking of higher zoom levels, or maps not included in the region download. (Like Thunderforest Transport, or Outdoors, perhaps.)
Cross-posting

Tiles are downloaded from the servers specified for the corresponding map tile source. Only OSM Scout maps request tiles from that server, the rest go directly to Mapbox, HERE, and others.

Tiles are cached by MapboxGL library locally for some time. Some are less (HERE Traffic), some more - as specified in expiry date of the tiles server. You could clean the cache, when you wish, through preferences (we did that earlier today).

Hence my surprise that PM+Mapbox tiles depends on OSM Scout Server - that shouldn't be so.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Re updates: its all or nothing. Valhalla imports the whole Planet road network and its later chopped into the tiles. So, you cannot mix the different imports at all. So, to keep it all simple and visually OK, I opted for all-or-nothing design for all of the formats.
Ah, would get messy with downloaded regions not meshing with each other... Would not want that.

Verbosity: I think default setting was not that verbose
No, I've seen (and done...) worse

Desktop: these days you could go for PM and the server on the desktop as well. There are flatpaks available for it at flathub.
That's brilliant! Just checked Flathub and will try it out. Is the map folder managed by the server "self-contained"/"portable"?

I mean, can I download my selected regions once, and then just copy the complete folder to boostrap other devices? (Being careful to first shut down the servers, of course.) Because that would be much faster than doing it on the Xperia.

PS: was easy to look into it, since the reporting was very good!
I know what it's like to get "just doesn't work" reports... So I try to provide as much detail as I can.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaiFi For This Useful Post:
Yes, you could copy map folder between devices. So, its OK to download on PC and then copy to device.

At Flathub, Pure Maps don't have any API keys included. So, you would have to register with Mapbox and get your own key to use online services. Since Mapbox is used as a fonts provider, Mapbox API key is needed even if you use HERE tiles. See Preferences/API keys for the requirements of the services and make the decision on where to register yourself.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
I think that in this page could be more faster on start | reroute | clean by inserting thats icons on this page showed below, and not on the next page. will more 2X. then the page with this icons current has to be removed, just leaving the page of instruccions of the road.
note: just icons on the corners i guess.
Attached Images

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-11-24 at 19:06.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Cross-posting

Tiles are downloaded from the servers specified for the corresponding map tile source. Only OSM Scout maps request tiles from that server, the rest go directly to Mapbox, HERE, and others.
Ah, a case of me not doing my homework - I thought all map operations were proxied by the local server... The name should have made me understand it was used just for OSM Scout. Thanks for clarifying that!

Tiles are cached by MapboxGL library locally for some time. Some are less (HERE Traffic), some more - as specified in expiry date of the tiles server. You could clean the cache, when you wish, through preferences (we did that earlier today).
The local cache explains why some maps seemed to work offline and then disappear... just because my expectations were wrong.

With Marble I told it that disk space is free so it doesn't need to drop old tiles when the cache is full.

Hence my surprise that PM+Mapbox tiles depends on OSM Scout Server - that shouldn't be so.
Probably seemed weird because I didn't tell you I tested with my phone offline. So now I understand that the delay when switching to OSM Scout comes from local processing/communication, whereas the delay with Mapbox is likely due to a network timeout.

I'll run Pure Maps from the command line, but probably not today. I'll report back with results (starting to think that remaining issues may be due to me holding it wrong).

Once more, thank you for excellent support!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SaiFi For This Useful Post: