Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

i have a whiny, wheedling request: can someone maintain a place that has some nice stats, and a news-feed like list of useful {but not set in stone} information and updates?

im talking:
-loose donation totals {total euros, total donors, total 100+ donors, countries per capita/total, etc}
-current best-guess timelines
-probability estimates of up-in-the-air features like 1gb vs 512mb ram
-pricing barometer {plus one digit challenge}
-project status reports/hurdles
so basically every joerg/dos post on this thread that isnt just shouting 'stay on topic'

i REALLY want a place where i can check the project status fanatically without reading 40 posts about open gsm and why keyboards suck on phones. i would attempt to make this myself but then id have to read about how capacitive touchscreens are better anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Got my €100 donation/preorder in (with the help of an SSH proxy). This project is truly amazing and in the end it became an easy decision to back this over Jolla.

I'm a little concerned that neo900.org visitors who don't frequent this thread will see the progress bar complete and think that we aren't in need of any more donations.

Could we get a progress bar for the "plus one digit" challenge?
The text above and under progress bar should be pretty clear. But yes, it's going to be changed, but probably not by extending the goal by one digit, but rather by reporting estimated number of "preorders" (donations with rebate)

Main goal is 200, next one - 1000

---

About post above by wolke: we'll try to successively add missing info to the website. Some of our posts here are nothing more than guesstimates or "current visions" that already has been made obsolete, and those should probably better stay as they are right now.

Now, with a first goal being reached, I think I'll find some time for slowly augmenting the website with more and more details. But don't expect miracles - some of entries on your list are still a mystery for us and may still need weeks of research to be finally able to say anything for sure (for instance RAM being one of such things).

Last edited by dos1; 2013-11-05 at 01:22.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
two completely made up stories to illustrate a few things:

Story #1
100 donors gave 250EUR each. We use 5000EUR of that for some early mech protos. Then we go
"Hallo MURATA, we need 100 special custom-made connectors to plug that display flex cable in."
MURATA answers "No way, sorry"
We have to cancel the project due to this and we will pay back 250EUR<donated_amount>*((25000-5000)/25000) = 200EUR (minus handling fees) to our donors

Story #2
1000 donors gave 100EUR each. We use 5000EUR of that for some early mech protos. Then we go
"Hallo MURATA, we need THOUSAND special custom-made connectors to plug that display flex cable in."
MURATA answers "Umm, OK. That's feasible"
We DON'T have to cancel the project due to this and we will NOT have to pay back 100EUR<donated_amount>*((100000-5000)/100000) = 95EUR (minus handling fees) to our donors.
However if we had to then obviously the "loss" for each donor is way smaller than in story one. To compare: for a 250EUR the refund would be 250*0.95=237.50 and thus the "loss" only 12.50EUR instead of 50EUR - that's the smaller individual risk.
The answer from MURATA for 1000 items (vs. 100) represents the lower project risk.
How about a third story?

Story #3
200 donors gave 250EUR each. We use 5000EUR of that for some early mech protos. Then we go
"Hallo MURATA, we need 200 special custom-made connectors to plug that display flex cable in."
MURATA answers "No way, sorry"
then you go: "What about 1000?"
MURATA answers "Umm, OK. That's feasible"
you: "What will that cost per unit?"
MURATA: "10 Euros"
There will be 1000 parts for 200 devices. The board price will increase by 10*5=50 Euros (minus the 10 Euros the part would have cost anyway). 200 people get their neo900 and you put 800 spare parts in your storage or ship them along with the boards and people put them in their closets or make keyrings and other useless accessories out of them so that two random neo900 users, should they ever meet out there immediately know what's up.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
... so that two random neo900 users, should they ever meet out there immediately know what's up.
Thanks. I just had a non-reversible entropy increase of the coffee-keyboard-kind incident

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Thanks. I just had a non-reversible entropy increase of the coffee-keyboard-kind incident
I'm sure there will be a way to compensate for both your keyboard and your coffee given the amount of donations that have already been collected.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
I have two questions about the 3d performance of the neo900. I've read the FAQ entry about it and I wonder, is there no driver at all at the moment or a binary-only driver that can be used given the software projects manage to include it properly?

And, is it basically the same PowerVR chip as in the neo900 or can we expect a certain performance improvement here as well? I saw other comments that normal UI responsiveness does not depend much on 3d but it would be interesting to know. Maybe a comment on the Specs site would also help.

Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to anYc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Why tv in cannot be done ? My jxd does it well though it dosent output the sound i as it records it somade a audio board of 100watts to compensate recently it would be freaky if i can just plug it to a cd or settop box when needed. and can there be some unique factory programmed radio which is listening all the time even when off so that i can control remotely with x device it would be helpful for non nsa people to track it down in case of theft and other uses . I lost 2 n900s which is pain noone tracks imei even to find the thievs pain is i know he lives next door

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by anYc View Post
I have two questions about the 3d performance of the neo900. I've read the FAQ entry about it and I wonder, is there no driver at all at the moment or a binary-only driver that can be used given the software projects manage to include it properly?

And, is it basically the same PowerVR chip as in the neo900 or can we expect a certain performance improvement here as well? I saw other comments that normal UI responsiveness does not depend much on 3d but it would be interesting to know. Maybe a comment on the Specs site would also help.

Thank you!
There are at least the original Fremantle driver which we plan to reuse in FPTF, one of the major arguments why we need binary compatibility. And I think there are one or two other closed blobs out there that are also usable/exploitable.

The GFX core of DM3730 is significantly more powerful than the one in N900, I elaborated on that somewhere in beginning of this thread, I seem to recall 20Mio polygons/s instead of 10.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-05 at 11:43.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Our next goal*: 100 000 EUR!

Please vote up our stories
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6678016
http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=v...ion&id=3095545

No one would expect that we'll reach 25k in just four days. Seems like there might be much higher interest in such device than we initially thought. That's why we want to get as many donors as possible, because more donors (>= 100 EUR) means more devices to produce. And more devices to produce means lower prices and lower risk.

Thank you for all your support and please, keep supporting this project!

* who knows, maybe not the last one

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Has anyone spent time with audio jacks on the GTA04 when plugged into USB? It's a super-common problem for USB devices to have noise on the audio outputs while plugged into USB power.

I also imagine this noise is very dependent on final board layout, so if I'm getting ahead of myself please ignore.

Many congratulations on hitting the 25k target! Hopefully I'll have skin in the game soon as well

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wumpwoast For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!