Poll: What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?
Poll Options
What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
I can't make promises here, but I think we'd have some resources to be able to help out in *some* way. I'd suggest mailing [email]developer-care@jolla.com
Thanks a lot, i've already done it.
and enjoy your holiday season

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Hm, no, now its brought to their attention. Before, they might have not noticed it, or, wouldnt care. Now, they will care
That is exactly why I've posted this.....

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Hm, no, now its brought to their attention. Before, they might have not noticed it
Yes, but I've already explained in this thread why I don't think that is a useful point of view, i.e. as soon as we discuss it here, it's not a secret so you may as well ask.

If this implementation goes ahead without them, they will find out sooner or later. If they decide their patent has been infringed upon and want to take action, it is unlikely to me you or me they will come after, but rather the developer/publisher of allegedly-infringing software. Therefore it's easy for you to say "just release it quietly! we shouldn't have brought their attention!" but it's not you or me who might end up with a problem as a result...

I mean: do you think Swype's lawyers wouldn't find this discussion in such a case? This isn't a secret Jolla hackers' clubhouse; it's a publicly accessible and searchable forum, and the cat is out of the bag for anyone who cares to look.

Still, it's OK if we hold different viewpoints. What's the point of a forum, after all?

, or, wouldn't care. Now, they will care
Wait - so if they do notice the software, but no-one asked their permission, they won't care but since someone did ask they will care? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Anyway, I promise that this is the last time I address this particular sub-topic, since I don't think me continuing to talk about "asking Swype good vs. bad" is going to help anyone much.

More importantly...

I think we all want the same thing here, and w00t's suggestion to ask Jolla for assistance with this executing prospect is the best way forward. Looks like that is already happening.

Thank you to eber242 for putting work into this exciting concept. I for one would be happy to donate some small funds to support development, if that is a feasible or desirable thing for me to do.

Last edited by shallimus; 2014-07-09 at 19:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Changing the subject slightly: I wonder who answered "I am happy with the current vkbd" in the poll? Talk about low standards
I hadn't voted but thanks for reminding me. Count me in for the standard VKB. I used Swype on my old C7 as the Symbian keyboard was unusable but mostly in hunt and peck mode. On my N9 it was the default one, not Swype. The N9 Swype keyboard was awful. On my Jolla, the standard VKB is my favorite especially with the word predictions above the keyboard. The only issue I have with it is capitalisation after periods which doesn't seem to work for me.

I've a Nexus 7. That's usually running the Hacker's Keyboard as for some reason the standard keyboard wants to type TTY whenever I type 'the'. I always have to switch auto word correction off on any VKB. My mix of technical terms and everyday rubbish isn't a great mix.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
I don't want to be polemical, but I don't understand all this fear of patent infringement claims... there are several "slide keyboards" out there: SlideIT, SwiftKey, Google's own implementation, and now Windows Phone is jumping on the bandwagon too.

Are they all infringing Swype's patent / paying royalties to them? I'm sincerely wondering.

Last edited by Watchmaker; 2014-07-10 at 00:46.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Watchmaker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
"it's better to ask forgiveness than permission"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Smoku! Ahh, the great times...

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
The times are even greater now. :-)

- the team is independent
- the device is powerful
- the market is huge
- the system is beautiful
- the possibilities are endless

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
The N9 Swype keyboard was awful.
Genuine curiosity: what made it an awful experience for you? I agree that it was a pain for any sort of terminal stuff but for writing in English (as I mostly do) I found it quick and accurate. The only real issue I had was the occasional lag, which I chalked up to the N9 being CPU-bound while I tried to type. Not sure how much blame to give to Swype for that and how much to Harmattan / N9 SOC / something else.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Genuine curiosity: what made it an awful experience for you? I agree that it was a pain for any sort of terminal stuff but for writing in English (as I mostly do) I found it quick and accurate. The only real issue I had was the occasional lag, which I chalked up to the N9 being CPU-bound while I tried to type. Not sure how much blame to give to Swype for that and how much to Harmattan / N9 SOC / something else.
well, for me, I will stick to VKB, mainly because I almost never would have a need for anything else. My primary use of Jolla is working in terminal.
Still, in general, I also like the option, which Iam pretty sure the majority will be using once You release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
bettertxtentry, huntnpeck sucks, okboard, sailfish, swype