Is there any way to get the 770 to recognize a 64 Digit WPA Key?

I've got a WDS Wireless system setup in my house ('Repeats' the wireless signal so I have full coverage in my house at the cost of bandwidth). I've got a Linksys WRT54G running dd-wrt, and I have an Apple Airport Extreme running as the WDS Node.
I used to only use MAC filtering until I saw someone spoofing an address and using my internet. I've setup WPA instead of WPA2 to support my 770, but I've run into an additional problem. The 770 won't accept a 64 Digit WPA key, but my Airport Extreme won't accept anything but a 64 Digit WPA key. I'm left with three choices, unless I can get a full length key working on the 770: Buy another WRT54G with DD-WRT, have full wireless coverage in my house, or finally don't have my 770 connect to the network. All of these options suck, frankly. WEP is not an option, the fact that someone took the time to spoof a device ID is proof enough that the same person will invest the 30 seconds required to crack WEP.

I've noticed this bug myself in OS 2006. It will only accept up to 63 chars for the WPA key. I just truncated the key I use to 63 chars, but I guess that doesn't work for you.

A couple of things you could try are to find the config file where the key is stored and try to set in manually instead of using the UI or seeing if this bug is fixed in the 2007 OS HE.

I was able to find the location of the config file thanks to this information on maemo.org. The location of the config file is /var/lib/gconf/system/osso/connectivity/IAP/<Connection Name>. Although there is an XML key for "EAP_wpa_preshared_passphrase", changing the value doesn't seem to effect anything. Maemo.org says that changing this file will lead to "Inconsistent states" which seems to be true

just tried entering 64 chars in 2007 HE and the bug is still there. I guess if you can't figure out how to manually change the entry, a bug fix is the only solution.

WDS won't work with WPA since WPA encrypts MAC addresses.
WIth WPA, I wouldnt' be as worried about the key length as the key rotation time.
With WPA2 you're much better off, but either way you're losing WDS capability.
Best bet is to connect multiple wi-fi routers scattered throughout the house via powerline networking back to a central router and locking them down with WPA2.
That way you have the best of all worlds with no cables to run.

In doing some more research it seems that some devices will do WDS and WPA, though I wouldn't trust vendor-specific implementations of it. Both my devices probably support WDS and WPA, but interoperability between the two.. I have no idea.
I do not believe powerline networking will work for me, as my networking room is on a different 120V Leg than the room where I have my WDS node. The way I understand it (Admittedly, not very well) the signal would have to travel to the transformer on my street and back. I know they're on separate legs because I have an extensive X10 Home-Automation system setup, and I had to buy and install a specific repeater to allow devices on each leg 'talk' to each other. My X10 devices would, at best, work 25% of the time without the signal bridge.

I might try buying some plenum Cat5E and drop it down an airduct, or just concede that I wasn't meant to have wireless in my whole house

Originally Posted by Het View Post
I might try buying some plenum Cat5E and drop it down an airduct, or just concede that I wasn't meant to have wireless in my whole house
That would probably be your best bet, but go ahead and spring for Cat6 shielded so you only have to run that one cable ONCE and be pretty future-proof for at least the next 5 years.

I gave up on WEP, I now use software on my main desktop to block anyone trying to access my wireless router. http://mywifizone.com/

I have it set to only allow certain paired IP/MAC addresses and to block everything else.

My 770 works like a charm anywhere in the house.

hello, i hit the wall with the 63 char problem aswell. it seems our WPA keys are in HEX-format and you cannot input those in os2008 yet.

i found a solution on this page:

http://blog.micxer.de/blog/archives/...-for-WPA2.html

i had to reboot my n800 after i changed the gconf file with vi, which isn't mentioned in the guide.

Link is dead.... Found the script somewhere else:

In this file you'll find the key in two formats: the ASCII one and the calculated Hex one. Unfortunately the Hex one is stored byte by byte and so the given Hex key has to be converted into a decimal number byte by byte. I was too lazy to do that and wrote a little PHP script to run from the command line.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/php
<?php
if($argc < 2)
{
die("Gimme a key!\n");
}
if(strlen($argv[1]) != 64)
{
die("Not a valid Hex-Key!\n");
}

$hexkey = $argv[1];