Notices

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by hhnakhli View Post
But I do have this slight question on all this.
How is polling different than syncing or updating that you get in the emails settings.??? isnt it just a matter of connecting to the network (the internet), and going to your account, and then updating your phone content in correspondence to whatever new activity has happened to your online account....?
Or is there a different procedure for each one (Polling Vs. Syncing Vs. Updating)...?
There are two methods on being informed of something happening: "poll" or "interrupt", sometimes known as "pull" and "push".
Imagine the Simsons family going in their car to some far away town. Homer is driving, and Bart is bored, sitting in the back. To find out if they're there yet, Bart has one of two ways: He can repeatedly ask "Are we there yet?", or he can tell Homer to tell him when they're there.

"Are we there yet?" is polling.
Homer telling Bart that they're finally there without Bart having to repeatedly ask is called "interrupt", "server notification", "push", or a host of other names.

If Bart persists in asking if they're there yet, it will result in Bart getting tired eventually (and probably strangled by Homer). This is equivalent to the phone battery draining because of repeated network requests.

When Bart asks at fixed intervals without paying attention to whether it makes any sense to ask, it like setting a polling interval of 2 minutes.

If Bart were to fall asleep and ask if they're there yet only if Lisa nudged him awake, then it would be like the user clicking "Sync".

That's it. I'm done with the Simpsons now.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by hhnakhli View Post
Thanks for this Great Plugin, I only installed it a day ago for the reason of unlimited free texting & it seems like I havent had any problems yet (Im not really into this calling & call back thing from GV).

So I have a 2 in one question:

I have the advanced settings set to..
Contacts poll periods in hours : -1
Voicemail poll periods in minutes : -1
Texts poll period in minutes: 1
and I have unchecked the use GV contacts, and kept the ignore Dnd checked. I also have the status to available.
Also, through the google voice website itself I unchecked the forward the texts to cell phone option so I dont get a double message (Text & IM) everytime someone sends me a text.

So coming to the question itself..
I know that " -1 " for any of the poll settings kind of disables that feature, BUT,
WILL THE " 1 " MINUTE POLL PERIOD FOR TEXTS KILL MY BATTERY FASTER AND MAKE MY DEVICE RUN SLOWER BECAUSE OF ALL THE PROCESSING GOING ON IN THE BACKGROUND, & WILL THE " -1's " I HAVE FOR THE OTHER POLL SETTINGS COMPENSATE FOR THE ENERGY EXPENDITURE FOR THE " 1 " I HAVE IN TEXTS POLL...?

Thanks again
Sorry I haven't had a chance to get to this yet. The others have done a great job on answering so far and I appreciate it.

The one other thing I would point out is that the number of minutes for polling is more of a maximum. TOR tries to act smart. When it finds you have sent a text or received a text, it will check frequently. As it finds nothing new, it will slowly back off until it hits the number you set or you send/receive another text.

TOR is meant to work well for those who aren't as paranoid about battery life (though some tweaking is possible). DialCentral does the same thing but is an application and is completely passive, where you explicitly ask it to refresh. Currently there is a bit of a hit, when you click the "Messages" refresh button because it will refresh both voicemail and texts. I'm preparing a release that changes that.

I'm a bit paranoid about battery life (not actively using TOR my battery sometimes lasts for a day or two and sometimes it doesn't, unsure why), so how I work it is GV still sends texts to my other phone (my n900 only has a data plan, I use a prepaid phone for when I don't have coverage for GV+VOIP), I just never read them so they never cost me. I use my phone's notification though to know to refresh DC. I rarely text though so it isn't much of a hassle for me.

Since I've gotten an email about this I thought I'd report that two-factor authentication does not work with TOR or DC. I've created myself a second GV account so I can play with this and I might try to get this to work.

Does this have issues with Google Apps (For Your Domain) accounts?

Running backed.py with USER PASS seems to grab data but spits out a few unauth errors and entering credentials into the telepathy/mission-control interface errors on bad username or password.

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
Does this have issues with Google Apps (For Your Domain) accounts?

Running backed.py with USER PASS seems to grab data but spits out a few unauth errors and entering credentials into the telepathy/mission-control interface errors on bad username or password.
I've never tried a Google Apps account as I don't have one. backend.py spits out a lot of misc information, really the way to tell is the "loggedin_*" files and whether they contain the logged in webpages or not.

Also DC is usually a bit easier to toy with problems as you don't have the mission-control layer between you and the app.

I'm not sure if anyone still gets connectivity issues, but I do on a daily basis.
When my internet connection switches from wifi to 2g or 3g internet, and vice versa, often GV tends to disconnect and not reconnect.
What I have to do to make GV reconnect is disable GV under the "accounts" section... wait several seconds, and then re-enable it.
At this point GV will reconnect most of the time.

In very few cases this does not work either, and the only option is to reboot the device.

Is this normal?

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Hello epage,

Is there a way to automatically pick-up the Google voice call? Say I call someone via GV and it auto disconnects and immediately I get a call from GV --could this second one be automatically connected so I don't need to touch one more on the screen?

Thanks.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Hello epage,

Is there a way to automatically pick-up the Google voice call? Say I call someone via GV and it auto disconnects and immediately I get a call from GV --could this second one be automatically connected so I don't need to touch one more on the screen?

Thanks.
About a year ago I researched this and eventually gave up - there doesn't seem to be any way to auto-accept.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Hello epage,

Thanks.
Similar to uvatbc I've not made any progress on getting something like this to work.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8509

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Hello epage,

Do you know of any way to batch download text messages that appear in Google Voice? I recently do some heavy texting using GV and would like to do some text stats on the messages I typed and received.

Thanks.

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5