Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ San Francisco Bay Area, CA
So will it be running on Maemo still? If so you mentioned before that it will be ported to be able to run Android apps (like on the Blackberry 10.1, etc...) and if not will the GUI be similar to Maemo? I love the Maemo GUI. Will it contain the same standard apps as for the N900? Maybe there might be some issues with those apps since the hardware will be completely different?

Also can you make it so the music stops playing when you unplug the headphone jack? That was a huge problem on the N900 and I embarassed myself today by pulling it out by accident...

Originally Posted by BaronKatz View Post
So will it be running on Maemo still? If so you mentioned before that it will be ported to be able to run Android apps (like on the Blackberry 10.1, etc...) and if not will the GUI be similar to Maemo? I love the Maemo GUI. Will it contain the same standard apps as for the N900? Maybe there might be some issues with those apps since the hardware will be completely different?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91308

getting everything ported will be a lot of work. last i heard, some of the hardest showstoppers were reverse engineered, and it currently seems like it will be possible to do. that being said, there is a ton of porting to do and someone has to actually do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
AFAIK Neo900 aims to bee 100% compatible with Maemo and all the apps. The only downside is that most probably you will have to install Maemo yourself (Neo900 company doesn't have rights to redistribute it), but I think there will be clear step-by-step instructuions how to do it I think.

Also can you make it so the music stops playing when you unplug the headphone jack? That was a huge problem on the N900 and I embarassed myself today by pulling it out by accident...
Sorry for off topic, but you can do it on N900, too. Go to app manager and install "Headphone deamon" app - it stops the music when you unplug headphones, it saved me many many times when I was listening to embarassing music in public and accidentally pulled out the headphones plug

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Neo900 is a open device, and open devices run whatever OS you install on it (just like PC). If you install Maemo, it will run Maemo. If you install SHR, it will run SHR. If you install Debian... - and so on.

However, making porting Maemo easy is one of the design goals of the project, so we expect Maemo 5 to be running on Neo900 without any bigger problems.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
[...]

2. The difference in price between the bare GTA04-NeoN board to DIY-retrofit into your N900 and a complete Neo900 incl case and stuff from N900 will be around 150EUR at least. Of course you can make excellent use of a broken N900 with defect USB like this. And each single donation makes the device less expensive - again see rationale given in phase-V

[...]
here is the situation
have a N900 (with broken USB, but i guess that's irrelevant in that the USB is soldered to the board, thus "gets exchanged / fixed" in the upgrade) but i doubt my DIY skills. is it possible
  • to send in my N900 and have a professional do the upgrade?

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
here is the situation
have a N900 (with broken USB, but i guess that's irrelevant in that the USB is soldered to the board, thus "gets exchanged / fixed" in the upgrade) but i doubt my DIY skills. is it possible
  • to send in my N900 and have a professional do the upgrade?
"Upgrade" is really simple, all you need is a screwdriver. No soldering required, you just take one board out and insert another one instead - only some basic cutting around USB hole may be necessary, but even I with my completely impaired DIY skills managed to do that for GTA04 with a small penknife, and here it should be even easier as Freerunner's USB hole was tighter than the one in N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Will it still have the FM Transmitter and IR transmitter? I can't wait until it comes out!!! I don't know if I can afford it so much, but this is THE ONLY phone that appeals to me now...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
"Upgrade" is really simple, all you need is a screwdriver. No soldering required, you just take one board out and insert another one instead - only some basic cutting around USB hole may be necessary, but even I with my completely impaired DIY skills managed to do that for GTA04 with a small penknife, and here it should be even easier as Freerunner's USB hole was tighter than the one in N900
Hmm tempting, so long as it's extremely easy & not too pricey I may upgrade my N900 & start using it much more (hasn't been used heavily for ~2yrs now).

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Will it still have the FM Transmitter and IR transmitter? I can't wait until it comes out!!! I don't know if I can afford it so much, but this is THE ONLY phone that appeals to me now...
The FM transmitter will be there, and the IR will be improved even - for better range and even offering learning and true IrDA (SIR).

/j

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
[...]
The modem we are using is a module, not a chip. and we need to decide very early in R&D on which modem we want to support. We decided to use Gemalto7Cinterion P*S8 series[...]

cheers
jOERG
ok, so assuming that the MoDem will be a P*S8 when will the choice be done, which one is actually put into one's Neo900?

Tags
neo900, thank you!