Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
Nokia's marketing management should realize their is nothing promising in the future of meego.I mean we have seen the ui and there is nothing unique about it.I don't see meego increasing in popularity when it is released.Overall I don't see a reason for nokia to go with meego on next devices.After the nokia n97 failure they managed to make a good os maemo 5 and it is lost in popularity

So how will meego pull it of?How will it be a success.We all know by now it won't gain the average popularity of the iphone os, but will it gain a close margin to android?

your thoughts..........

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
1. iPhone and Android is neck to neck in terms of worldwide marketshare. Judging by the rate of adoption, Android is going to overtake iPhone for good once iPhone 4 fever is over.
By 'popularity' and 'mindshare', iPhone may still lead for a longer period of time.

2. The late comer usually has the advantage of learning from its predecessor's mistake... and they don't have the 'backward compatibility' baggage that their opponents (with significant existing userbases) have, so they're more free to incorporate new designs into their platform.

How will MeeGo pull it off? I'm hoping Intel will modularize and commoditize the handheld market... but I don't think anyone else (beside Intel) wants that to happen.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Not sure why you're so quick to dismiss meego.

The UI looks pretty amazing and unique to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4vv7yFaqxw

and this is only the "pre-alpha"
Looks much better than the apple iPad UI already.

Hopefully they can incorporate this same feel in the smaller screen devices as well.

I personally think it will be a hit.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dantonic For This Useful Post:
Just wait and see...

The Following User Says Thank You to acou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
This may answer some of your questions: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bergie/4757094432/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm starting to think that MeeGo, even with Qt will not do well. My reasoning? The similar Linux based WebOS even had a better documented SDK and tools and a flashier UI and seems to be treated like a second class citizen.

I want be wrong, willing to see how things play out.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Don't think meego will be so much better than maemo 5(sales). What is going to give me reaseon to still believe in meego is. if/when i see other vendnors using meego. Otherwhise, It's DOA. Will probably still buy one just to see what Intel and nokia are up to.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm starting to think that MeeGo, even with Qt will not do well. My reasoning? The similar Linux based WebOS even had a better documented SDK and tools and a flashier UI and seems to be treated like a second class citizen.
When you're the only player in the market with a given toolkit, you have to be on the top in your marketing and reach critical mass quick. webOS faltered for this reason. On top of that, it's toolkit (unless I'm looking at it wrong) seems centered around HTML, CSS, and Javascript which strike me as not being terribly -fast-. Anything beyond that forces you into their Plugin Development kit, which isn't (easily) portable.

It's for this same reason I think Bada and whatever Motorola is planning will falter. Yet another API, yet another toolkit, and only one vendor backing it. Too much fragmentation, which is what Nokia and Intel moved to avoid.

Whereas with Qt, MeeGo is deploying a toolkit that's in wide use already, and available on pretty much every platform in existence. MeeGo is not bound to Nokia, either, which means that (like the Kernel itself) third parties can pick it up and use it without appearing to be playing second fiddle to Nokia.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
it is basically taking the same model as android so it will probably do pretty well.

also meego, clock cycle for clock cycle will be faster than android

also with intel backing and hopefully some new killer chip, it will be easy to spread far and wide into every kind of device possible.

look at something like the nokia n8 coming out now as a predecessor of things to come, especially for appliances or vehicles that are already plugged in, you can put a moorestown cpu in there and have hd playback with surrond, usb otg support, keyba,oard and mouse support over bt in something smaller than a deck of cards.

you can put that into ANYTHING, cars tvs refrigerators whatever.

meego will be way more adaptable to this kind of stuff in the future than android will be.

it is about way more than the ui

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
I too have my doubts. I like Meego, I think the "total crossplatform" philosophy is a good one and it looks like developers could easily work with it. Plus you could build an app once and it could work on phones, netbooks, etc with minimal alterations (this seems to be Apple's philosophy as well.)
Unfortunately I think Android and Apple have the market pretty well locked up. Nokia is not a "cool" company in the public's eye, nor is intel. Unless they can strike some amazing deals withe AtT, or verizon, I don't see Meego getting too far.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Ben For This Useful Post:

Tags
thread of lame